TrueBlueArmy Forums
Owners - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Owners (/showthread.php?tid=1100)

Pages: 1 2 3

Owners - mikey393 - 16-10-2021

I don't believe that its just the Managers faults we're not progressing on the pitch.

Its mainly down to not enough money being invested in the team & recruitment.

ME won't put his hand in his pocket it seems but if he doesn't watch it all the increased ground capacity measures will mean nothing. Because he could be relegated back to Div 2. I think today was a wake up call as normal service was resumed.

The answer is either for him to sell up make a profit on his small investment & move on or get someone in like Harry as Dirctor of football who can pick his pockets. Jack Wilshere is still loking for a club & would love to see him join on a pay as you play contract to prove his fitness.

RE: Owners - Pedalo_menders - 16-10-2021

We've sold our best player every summer for the last 4-5years. It's depressing watching them go and being replaced with absolute shyte.

Refused to keep Whatmough, only to sign someone worse who gets injured almost immediately. Clowns.

RE: Owners - Jizbag - 16-10-2021

Eisner out.

RE: Owners - Hammie - 16-10-2021

the odds of getting better owners are pretty remote.
Looking back down the years, who has actually been better?
Milan perhaps?

RE: Owners - Gerry Hatrick - 16-10-2021

People don't like to hear it because the Eisner way sounds more ethical but Milan got us there by firing a lot of poor recruits before finding the winning formula in Harry. The Eisners had a four-year plan which didn't work out, now we are expected to hang in there until their next  four-year plan flops.

RE: Owners - mikey393 - 16-10-2021

(16-10-2021, 05:06 PM)Hammie Wrote: the odds of getting better owners are pretty remote.
Milan perhaps?
Point taken but if we don't start looking we won't find out.

Pompey are a Bigger Club than any of our South Coast Rivals but we're struggling & they're all doing better than us with wealthy owners & decent Sponsorship. 

It really needs a wealthy owner who can see the potential of the club which is enormous due to our fan base.

If Sunderland & Newcastle can find HNW investors prepared to invest in their clubs why not Pompey.

At present we are going nowhere fast.

RE: Owners - Pangus - 16-10-2021

The root of the problem is surely that the Eisners have little or no ambition for the club, other than refurbishing the ground, much of it out of necessity that they can't avoid, and probably to make the club more saleable. In severely restricting the amount available to the Cowleys to build the squad, leaving them to deal in the bargain basement, they are signficantly putting the club at risk of relegation. Today's result brings this realisation rapidly to the fore.

There's no doubt that the Cowleys have been dealt a pretty poor hand in all this giving them no chance of avoiding a relegation battle. Its surely up to the fans groups e.g. Fans Conference to confront the Eisners with this outcome and express ouir dissatisfaction with the situation.

RE: Owners - firqdays - 16-10-2021

As accredited and wealthy business people they - the Eisners - ( realistically) must be aware of the current problems.

With their proven track record in business it is difficult to believe that they do not now acknowledge the need for urgent team investment.

Even if you are looking to sell something it is commonly known that you will only aspire to achieve the best return by projecting the product, at it's best, and as a very saleable product..

RE: Owners - bluebollox - 16-10-2021

(16-10-2021, 05:06 PM)Hammie Wrote: the odds of getting better owners are pretty remote.
Milan perhaps?

Hammie, I think Milan will always be tarnished with that picture of him with a hardhat on sitting on a JCB. Plus selling us to a gun runner kind of puts a downer on his time here. He was full of charm, but full of ....
Regarding Tornante-ME talked the talk @ The Guildhall & since then hasn't come anywhere near to what he suggested he'd do. The ground is being tarted up imo, mainly down to stringent H&S regs. The Academy "we want to bring through our own Justins & Britney's"-within weeks went back on their word. 
They seem to think they could do things differently, we were to be "a global force". Its all words that I'm afraid sound very hollow now 4 years on.

RE: Owners - Wightblue - 16-10-2021

The trouble is both Brentford and Brighton are owned by real fans of their clubs

Brentford owned by Matthew Bentham, life long fan, Oxford Graduate with a degree in Physics, outstanding career in finance (Chief Executive of Bank of America) then went on to developer a hugely successful gambling business which has made him 100’s of Millions of £ Sterling. Invested over £100 million in Brentford and uses a Prediction ‘algorithm’ to predict the likely success of player purchases with very considerable success.

Brighton owned by Tony Bloom, another life long fan, Manchester University Grad with a degree in Maths, career in finance and then into gambling and, like Bentham, fabulously successful  (his killing on France winning the 1998 the World Cup still stands as a record successful gamble). Has invested £300 million in Brighton.

Both have built new stadiums, attend almost every game and are committed to their clubs every bit and more as their fans.

Compare that with Pompey and their owner, Chalk and Cheese doesn’t even begin to describe it !

Eisner blew $250 million of Disney shareholders cash on the Ducks and The Angels with nothing to show, was ready to invest another $100 million of Disney funds into The CSKA Moscow Red Penguins ice hockey team until the Russian Mafia got involved. 
In no way a Pompey fan and not prepared to invest any of his $3.7 Billion in Pompey although he seems willing and able to spend shareholders funds on sporting ventures.

As I say, Chalk & Cheese !

RE: Owners - firqdays - 16-10-2021

Blue , you must commend Milan for trusting Harry - and, sad as it seems , they (the Eisners) did not profess big bucks ; "eat what we kill" etc.

The kill is thin on the ground currently - perhaps we may struggle into the 3rd round, and get a big away day payday, and an afternoon of fun, especially if we could give the Mancs some grief one January afternoon !

RE: Owners - blueandwight - 16-10-2021

(16-10-2021, 07:10 PM)Pangus Wrote: The root of the problem is surely that the Eisners have little or no ambition for the club, other than refurbishing the ground, much of it out of necessity that they can't avoid, and probably to make the club more saleable. In severely restricting the amount available to the Cowleys to build the squad, leaving them to deal in the bargain basement, they are signficantly putting the club at risk of relegation. Today's result brings this realisation rapidly to the fore.

There's no doubt that the Cowleys have been dealt a pretty poor hand in all this giving them no chance of avoiding a relegation battle. Its surely up to the fans groups e.g. Fans Conference to confront the Eisners with this outcome and express ouir dissatisfaction with the situation.

Difficult to disagree with your comments but, in fairness, it's a lot more complicated than that.
The Eisners are US businessman and know diddly squat about English football and it would seem don't care much either. To them it's largely about real estate. Think back to the aborted European Super League, the six English clubs involved and how many of them are owned by Americans...enough said. 
Also let's stop any silly comparisons with Jackett. This man failed when we had the likes of Lowe, Clarke, Naylor, Thompson, Whatmough and Co on the books. Perhaps alerting certain players to the fact they were facing a pay cut or were about to be moved on many months ago didn't sit too comfortably with a genuine promotion push.
As I recall just a few short months ago 95% of fans wanted him (Jackett) out and almost as many many wanted the entire playing squad sacked or punished for failing to secure promotion for three years running. Due to strange decisions in the cross-Atlantic boardroom we didn't even get a fee for four or five of our best players. Didn't take other clubs long to realise they were getting a bargain though did it? Ask Wigan.
Feel a little bit sorry for Cowley but he took the job and even with modestly reduced resources it is effectively his squad. He's made an awful mess of it because he knew he needed another central defender and two strikers (Hirst is not even a footballer) minimum and failed. Now we're in the s*** because today we saw what we look like without a livewire in Curtis upfront but even worse could come if Raggett (a player regrded as a joke by fans just eighteen months ago) got injured. I'm afraid to say that while we remain in the hands of the Eisners and while Cowley stays ( the Eisners aren't going to pay him off, are they?) we're a bit of trouble, possibly quite a lot of trouble.

RE: Owners - Deebo - 17-10-2021

The club has been amateurishly run for years. I go back to the early Sixties and struggle to think of a time when we had an owner that knew what he was doing and understood the club and the business it is in. And so it will continue until we find that person

RE: Owners - briefcase_wanchor - 17-10-2021

I've never fathomed the Eisners ownership of PFC. Still don't.

Whichever way you look at it, it doesn't add up. If it's about real estate, there are hundreds of better/easier ways worldwide to make your bucks. If its about bragging of ownership of an English club with some history, why run it without ambition? You just end up building huge resentment and reinforcing the clueless Yank/soccerball stereotype.

RE: Owners - slayer - 17-10-2021

Just to make sure I understand correctly.

If we win, happy days.

But if we lose, sack the board?

RE: Owners - DeepBlue - 17-10-2021

Everyone is moaning about Cowley having no budget to play with. It may not be as big as moneybags teams like Ipswich, Sunderland & Wigan but we now know it is bigger than last years budget. 

And we know it is affordable.  I can't believe people want to go back to the days of having owners who overspend.

RE: Owners - Wightblue - 17-10-2021

I presume Deep you mean owners who overspend and plunge Pompey into debt

How about owners like Bloom and Benham who spend their own money on their clubs and don’t plunge them into debt ?

Eisner’s fortune grows apace, now approaching $4 Billion (£2.92 Billion at today’s Forex of 1.37), he could very easily invest a further, say, £5 Million ($6.9 Million) in Pompey and give us some relief from the dross he has foisted upon us.

That represent about 0.01% of his fortune……to give us fans a chance of having fun at The Park again and smiles on our faces.

Instead he is our very own Ebenezer Scrooge with DC cast as Bob Cratchit (or is it Tiny Tim ?) only this tale won’t have the same happy ending I fear !

RE: Owners - Deebo - 17-10-2021

It ends with Ebeneisner Scrooge having the crap scared out of him by the Ghost of Christmases yet to come. Bah humbug y'all.

Deebo

Does a re-born Eisner go out and buy a Turkey or figure out that one (Marquis) is enough ?

Yes, I know it’s a goose in A Christmas Carol but I know an old Landport boy like Charley Dickens wouldn’t mind me using artistic license.

(17-10-2021, 10:28 AM)Wightblue Wrote: I presume Deep you mean owners who overspend and plunge Pompey into debt

How about owners like Bloom and Benham who spend their own money on their clubs and don’t plunge them into debt ?

Eisner’s fortune grows apace, now approaching $4 Billion (£2.92 Billion at today’s Forex of 1.37), he could very easily invest a further, say, £5 Million ($6.9 Million) in Pompey and give us some relief from the dross he has foisted upon us.

That represent about 0.01% of his fortune……to give us fans a chance of having fun at The Park again and smiles on our faces.

Instead he is our very own Ebenezer Scrooge with DC cast as Bob Cratchit (or is it Tiny Tim ?) only this tale won’t have the same happy ending I fear !

What right have we got to ask him to suddenly change from a business man to a sugar daddy when he made it absolutely crystal clear when we voted for him that he would not do that ?  

Sugar daddy owners that put money into clubs without incurring a debt are few and far between ... dream on if you think we are likely to get one. We never have in the past. 

Personally I'll settle for an owner that sorts the ground out to ensure a future for the club and runs the playing side of the club in a sustainable way that would not lead to disaster if he suddenly died or left. 

I can get as much enjoyment watching Pompey struggle and work out how to improve as I do watching them win most weeks (which to be fairi has happened on only a handful of seasons in my lifetime) as long as they are putting the effort in and I've no complaints on that front this season from either the coaching team or the players. 

We are 4 points off the playoffs with 34 games  to go and a squad with the capacity to improve as the season goes on.  One bad defeat does not destroy that any more than the brilliiant victory in the previous game meant all was well.

Gosh Deep, I didn’t know that spending 0.01% of your wealth made you a sugar daddy, the charities I support probably don’t know I’m one either.

I’ll tell you why the Pompey fans have got some rights in all this Deep, the Pompey fans are the heartbeat of Portsmouth FC not Eisner ! They saved their club not Eisner, he just rolled up and was allowed to buy The  Club on the cheap.

The Fans are the people whose cash is a vital element in all this, without the cash flow from Season Tickets and merchandising there would be a gigantic unsustainable hole in the cash flow which could be plugged only by Eisner.

If the Pompey fans ever did to Eisner what Blackpool’s fans did to Owen Oyston ie boycotted the club and left Oyston to carry the club financially until he finally left, it would be fascinating to see what Eisner would do about the cash haemorrhage.

Pompey fans won’t do that of course, the nearest The Pompey Fans have ever got to insurrection was in hastening the departure of Martin Gregory, problem is, Eisner lives in LA and has got a skin thicker than an elephant so we are stuck with him.

RE: Owners - Bluebob - 17-10-2021

When you analyse the last 5 league games, Plymouth we matched them Charlton we were better than them and should have won, Burton yes we were poor, Sunderland we were far better and deserved the win. Yesterday we were equal for the first 60 minutes and then fell to bits. So thats 2 teams in the top 4 we matched. Obviously we do not have any depth to the squad and lack a decent no 9 also a centre half. But can we blame all this on Cowley. He has had some failures but also I would say more successes. 
We have had 5 seasons of very poor style of football under Cooke and Jackett. But off what I have seen so far this season I feel more confident with the Cowley’s style of football. Some of the abuse the Cowley’s are getting is staggering considering he has had to rebuild the squad in one window and we are only 12 games in.

RE: Owners - kindofblue - 17-10-2021

We have to move beyond a football model defined and sustained only by deep pockets. There’s something vaguely sad about all the Newcastle supporters gleefully anticipating their coming presents. Pompey have traditionally been a second tier club with passionate supporters - if the passionate support can be maintained then so can the second tier at some point. Along the way chaps, let’s just try and enjoy what we can, support them and stop dreaming that someone is going to come along to push us to a dubious glory.

(17-10-2021, 03:41 PM)Wightblue Wrote: Gosh Deep, I didn’t know that spending 0.01% of your wealth made you a sugar daddy, the charities I support probably don’t know I’m one either.

I’ll tell you why the Pompey fans have got some rights in all this Deep, the Pompey fans are the heartbeat of Portsmouth FC not Eisner ! They saved their club not Eisner, he just rolled up and was allowed to buy The  Club on the cheap.

The Fans are the people whose cash is a vital element in all this, without the cash flow from Season Tickets and merchandising there would be a gigantic unsustainable hole in the cash flow which could be plugged only by Eisner.

If the Pompey fans ever did to Eisner what Blackpool’s fans did to Owen Oyston ie boycotted the club and left Oyston to carry the club financially until he finally left, it would be fascinating to see what Eisner would do about the cash haemorrhage.

Pompey fans won’t do that of course, the nearest The Pompey Fans have ever got to insurrection was in hastening the departure of Martin Gregory, problem is, Eisner lives in LA and has got a skin thicker than an elephant so we are stuck with him.

And IMO being stuck with him is a good place to be.  Far better than having an owner that would plunge us back into debt, which 95% of owners do.  Be careful what you wish for.

And a sugar daddy is one who gives for no return, what percentage of his wealth it would be is irrelevant to that fact.

RE: Owners - Jizbag - 17-10-2021

(17-10-2021, 02:32 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(17-10-2021, 10:28 AM)Wightblue Wrote: I presume Deep you mean owners who overspend and plunge Pompey into debt

What right have we got to ask him to suddenly change from a business man to a sugar daddy when he made it absolutely crystal clear when we voted for him that he would not do that ?  

Sugar daddy owners that put money into clubs without incurring a debt are few and far between ... dream on if you think we are likely to get one. We never have in the past. 

Personally I'll settle for an owner that sorts the ground out to ensure a future for the club and runs the playing side of the club in a sustainable way that would not lead to disaster if he suddenly died or left. 

I can get as much enjoyment watching Pompey struggle and work out how to improve as I do watching them win most weeks (which to be fairi has happened on only a handful of seasons in my lifetime) as long as they are putting the effort in and I've no complaints on that front this season from either the coaching team or the players. 

We are 4 points off the playoffs with 34 games  to go and a squad with the capacity to improve as the season goes on.  One bad defeat does not destroy that any more than the brilliiant victory in the previous game meant all was well.

Well if you're happy to put up with this crap then good for you. One bad defeat you say? What about Cambridge, Burton, MK Dons? Were they all good defeats?? If we have an owner who is not prepared to invest in the team then we need another owner. I've lost interest in the club and many I know feel the same. We have a great fanbase and are an attractive proposition, I'm sure tightarse Eisner could sell up to any number of prospective purchasers. I don't think he realises that we won't always turn up if we're playing dross football at the lower end of the league. I reckon he should count himself lucky he's not at the games, then he might come face to face some passionate fans for the wrong reasons.