TrueBlueArmy Forums
Why did Eisner buy us ? - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Why did Eisner buy us ? (/showthread.php?tid=1108)

Why did Eisner buy us ? - Wightblue - 17-10-2021

Some ideas:

* Because he loves our city and admires it’s inhabitants ? Possible I suppose but I doubt he knew next to bugger all about either before Pompey popped up.

* For the real estate value to be realised ? No ! Fratton Park is just peanuts compared to hundreds of thousands of other opportunities

* To make a quick killing ? He’s already ruled that out

* Because he wants to hear “ There’s only one Michael Eisner” rolling down from the terraces ? Well he rarely attends so rule that out as well.

* Because he knows that football is fun, a source of joy and elation - sometimes jubilation, a chance to forget everyday issues ? Not particularly evident thus far.

* To save Pompey from going bust ? The fans had already achieved that

* To produce an attractive, entertaining footballing side ? I’m joking with this one

* To spend some of his c. $4 Billion having his own footballing fun ? Ha Ha !

* As an old guy’s vanity project ? At 80 ! Can’t think of anything more pointless when it’s about 15 hours away by jet (11 hours in the air and 4 hours of f*cking about, I do it frequently).

I’m sure I’m missing something - the real reason, any ideas ?

RE: Why did Eisner buy us ? - Cressers - 17-10-2021

Purchasing a physical asset overseas as a hedge in his portfolio?

RE: Why did Eisner buy us ? - Tomsk - 17-10-2021

Does it matter why, he is the owner, has laid out how its going to be and that's pretty much it?

RE: Why did Eisner buy us ? - bluebollox - 17-10-2021

(17-10-2021, 06:15 PM)Cressers Wrote: Purchasing a physical asset overseas as a hedge in his portfolio?

Well he's got some way to go if eventually he wants a good return on it. I agree with Wightblue, I find it strange nowadays why they purchased us. Even more so when I recall Michael's pitch @ The Guildhall. 
Because nothing he said then really equates to where we find ourselves after 4 & a bit years.

RE: Why did Eisner buy us ? - Wightblue - 17-10-2021

Tomsk

It might matter ! If for instance, Pompey is just an old guy’s vanity project, the old guy is going to depart this life sooner or later….and if it’s sooner ? My money’s on the family unloading Pompey PDQ in exactly the same way as Jim Gregory’s family did. New game, new opportunity, new direction ?

Your reply does suggest that you don’t have any more idea than I do, puzzling isn’t it.

RE: Why did Eisner buy us ? - Tomsk - 17-10-2021

You're right I don't know, and if I'm honest I'm not that bothered. Whilst he's the owner and he's doing what he said then fine. If he/they sell us for whatever reason then so be it.

RE: Why did Eisner buy us ? - BigSmokeBlue - 17-10-2021

(17-10-2021, 06:09 PM)Wightblue Wrote: Some ideas:

* Because he loves our city and admires it’s inhabitants ? Possible I suppose but I doubt he knew next to bugger all about either before Pompey popped up.

* For the real estate value to be realised ? No ! Fratton Park is just peanuts compared to hundreds of thousands of other opportunities

* Because he wants to hear “ There’s only one Michael Eisner” rolling down from the terraces ? Well he rarely attends so rule that out as well.

* Because he knows that football is fun, a source of joy and elation - sometimes jubilation, a chance to forget everyday issues ? Not particularly evident thus far.

* To produce an attractive, entertaining footballing side ? I’m joking with this one

* As an old guy’s vanity project ? At 80 ! Can’t think of anything more pointless when it’s about 15 hours away by jet (11 hours in the air and 4 hours of f*cking about, I do it frequently).

RE: Why did Eisner buy us ? - Ain’t got a Danny - 17-10-2021

Low risk gateway into English football. Do the ground up and sell the club on for a profit. Good pitch for buying a club further up the pyramid. He’ll probably live into his 90s like a lot of rich people.

RE: Why did Eisner buy us ? - Pedalo_menders - 17-10-2021

The Americans view sport as being an entertainment brand (because that's what it is in the states). They call 'brands' 'franchises' - god knows why. KFC is a franchise, Chicago Bulls is a brand FFS. 'Sport franchises' exist to make money for their owners, nothing else. You can pretty much do whatever your want to achieve that goal, too: change the club colours (sorry ,colors), relocate to a different city or state half way across the country, play a 'home' game in a completely different country, pause the game to cram in more advertising time for the TV audience; the possibilities are endless! Everyone involved (including fans) understands and accepts that in the good old US of A.

So to understand the Eisners motivation, first we need to understand the environment tfrom which they are coming from.

For them to find an undervalued asset like Portsmouth with huge potential seems like a no-brainer, given their fantastic understanding of how sports entertainment is consumed. (I hope the sarcasm is coming across in this sentencd).

Unfortunately it doesnt work that way here and they hugely overlooked the nuances associated with English football. I don't think the yanks will ever appreciate the tribalism of football and what it actually is about for the average punter. Remember when they were trying to trademark the word 'Pompey'??!?!? Ffs

They probably assume they are doing a fantastic job because they are more considerate than the average American of the clubs history, not realising its a bare minimum requirement.

RE: Why did Eisner buy us ? - STEVE - 17-10-2021

Because he knows you mugs will keep giving him your money for shit football in a shit dump
with shit players and a shit infrastructure at a shit club with shit owners.

Wake up people, I wouldn't go to FP now if it was free.

RE: Why did Eisner buy us ? - kindofblue - 17-10-2021

(17-10-2021, 10:42 PM)STEVE Wrote: Because he knows you mugs will keep giving him your money for shit football in a shit dump

But tell us how you really feel though.
Tosser.

RE: Why did Eisner buy us ? - Hammie - 17-10-2021

He looked at the cost of champ/prem clubs and saw it as ridiculous.
Saw us as a club that he could improve and lift to close to the prem at least.
He knew it was long term, which is why his son is involved.
He has not visited much because of Covid. dur!
Loss of gate money made a big dent in his financial projections, presumably his other finances took a hit as did most businesses during lockdown.
He will carry on building the infrastructure, quietly buying up property around the ground. Rebuilding a very dilapidated ground into a safe place suitable for further development.
He is realistic that at this level a capacity of just over 20K is rarely filled, especially as only a handful of away teams sell out. So the Milton End has been rejigged to give us segregated tickets to sell if needed.
And expect to see the missing U23 team in place a year later than planned (Covid again) now that Roko is in the club's hand, again a step up for the youth system in place here.

RE: Why did Eisner buy us ? - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 18-10-2021

(17-10-2021, 06:09 PM)Wightblue Wrote: Some ideas:

Points 5 and 8 are essentially the same thing

RE: Why did Eisner buy us ? - Gerry Hatrick - 18-10-2021

US tax reasons?

By the way Wightie, you got your numbers wrong on the time Eisner would spend travelling to games. 
It's 15 hours all right but it breaks down as 9 hours flying and six on the Eastern Road.

RE: Why did Eisner buy us ? - exgaffer - 18-10-2021

(18-10-2021, 05:19 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: US tax reasons?

By the way Wightie, you got your numbers wrong on the time Eisner would spend travelling to games. 
It's 15 hours all right but it breaks down as 9 hours flying and six on the Eastern Road.

Any fool who decides to drive down the Eastern Road to a match deserves all he gets  Smile .

Take the train ffs.

Everyone knows it’s going to be a car park, yet they still join the queue anyway. It’s almost like they expect it to get better ffs. 

I’ve got news………………….

RE: Why did Eisner buy us ? - SW4Blue - 18-10-2021

To answer the question;

I thought that it was

a. something to give his boy Eric an interest when not focussing on the Grateful Dead.

b. an opportunity to buy a profitable business (because in 2017 PFC was & had been for the previous few years) on the cheap, that could at some point be sold on for a profit.

RE: Why did Eisner buy us ? - blueandwight - 18-10-2021

(18-10-2021, 06:16 AM)exgaffer Wrote:
(18-10-2021, 05:19 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: US tax reasons?

Any fool who decides to drive down the Eastern Road to a match deserves all he gets  Smile .

Take the train ffs.

Everyone knows it’s going to be a car park, yet they still join the queue anyway. It’s almost like they expect it to get better ffs. 

I’ve got news………………….

Try living on the Isle of Wight...expense across the Solent, reduced timetable and cancellations due to weather, mechanical breakdown, staff shortage etc.

RE: Why did Eisner buy us ? - Tomsk - 18-10-2021

(17-10-2021, 10:42 PM)STEVE Wrote: Because he knows you mugs will keep giving him your money for shit football in a shit dump

So if  the Cowleys turns it round and we start climbing the league playing more attractive football we mugs still won't be seeing you STEVE because it'll still be a shit club at a shit dump with shit infrastructure and with the same shit owners?
That's a shame.

RE: Why did Eisner buy us ? - bluetagagain - 18-10-2021

Shit post from shit Steve