TrueBlueArmy Forums
Who is the best Pompey finisher you have ever seen - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Who is the best Pompey finisher you have ever seen (/showthread.php?tid=113)

Pages: 1 2

Who is the best Pompey finisher you have ever seen - Pangus - 14-01-2021

How important are 'natural' goalscorers to a team, those who you can rely on  to come up with over 15 goals a season. Who's the best finisher you have seen? Not necessarily through stats but from your perception.

Ron Saunders was in a poor team generally but scored a phenomenal 156 goals in 258 games
Mick Quinn was in a decent team and scored 64 in 129 
Alan Biley ditto scored 65 in 119
Yakubu  was in a very good team scored 36 in 78
Todorov was in an excellent team scored 33 in 75

Add anyone else you can think of.
Its interesting from the stats to see the most of these players constantly scored in half of the games i.e. one in two (the hallmark of a top scorer)
My vote goes to Toddy because his goals brought a top promotion

RE: Who is the best Pompey finisher you have ever seen - ForeverPompey - 14-01-2021

(14-01-2021, 10:32 AM)Pangus Wrote: How important are 'natural' goalscorers to a team, those who you can rely on  to come up with over 15 goals a season. Who's the best finisher you have seen? Not necessarily through stats but from your perception.

Ron Saunders was in a poor team generally but scored a phenomenal 156 goals in 258 games

Its interesting from the stats to see the most of these players constantly scored in half of the games i.e. one in two (the hallmark of a top scorer)
Dave Kemp would be my number one.. in a terrible team. I guess Guy W has to be in the running. I suppose we can't really count Teddy S can we?

RE: Who is the best Pompey finisher you have ever seen - DeepBlue - 14-01-2021

(14-01-2021, 10:54 AM)ForeverPompey Wrote:
(14-01-2021, 10:32 AM)Pangus Wrote: How important are 'natural' goalscorers to a team, those who you can rely on  to come up with over 15 goals a season. Who's the best finisher you have seen? Not necessarily through stats but from your perception.

Dave Kemp would be my number one.. in a terrible team. I guess Guy W has to be in the running. I suppose we can't really count Teddy S can we?

In terms of just finishing it would have to be Guy Whittingham for me, with David Kemp just behind. 

Actually Jermaine Defoe as a finisher was probably better than both of them, but somehow he does not count in my book. Ditto Andy Cole, not for what he did here (virtually nothing) but for his career record. 

Pitman probably deserves a place on the list , but not above any of those listed in the original post.

RE: Who is the best Pompey finisher you have ever seen - bluebollox - 14-01-2021

Toddy was a exception footballer. Reminded me of Sheringham, such a quick brain.

(14-01-2021, 11:02 AM)bluebollox Wrote: Toddy was a exception footballer. Reminded me of Sheringham, such a quick brain.

Toddy was great and had one exceptional season. 

But Whittingham scored 22 goals more than Todorov in his best season ... quite hard to beleive when you think how many Toddy seemed to get every week.

RE: Who is the best Pompey finisher you have ever seen - bluebollox - 14-01-2021

(14-01-2021, 11:42 AM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(14-01-2021, 11:02 AM)bluebollox Wrote: Toddy was a exception footballer. Reminded me of Sheringham, such a quick brain.

Toddy was great and had one exceptional season. 

But Whittingham scored 22 goals more than Todorov in his best season ... quite hard to beleive when you think how many Toddy seemed to get every week.

Guy was just exceptional @ finishing. I remember his 1st home league appearance v Hull in 89. Came on from the bench @ ht for the restart, scored within 2 or 3 mins. Good shout tbh. 
42 league goals in 92/93. But he also scored 4 in the league cup as well that season. 46 goals!! Incredible really. I'm positive we'd have beaten Brighton with either Walsh or Whittingham in the 3rd round of the FA cup that season, but to lose both to injury & then illness was cruel.

RE: Who is the best Pompey finisher you have ever seen - slayer - 14-01-2021

Defoe

RE: Who is the best Pompey finisher you have ever seen - bluetagagain - 14-01-2021

The 5 best since i started watching Pompey
Hateley
Biley
Toddy
Whits ( especially playing alongside Walshy)
Quinn

RE: Who is the best Pompey finisher you have ever seen - Wightblue - 14-01-2021

From the posts so far, I’m guessing that none of you are old enough to remember Messrs Ike Clarke, Thunderboots Reid, Peter Harris and Jack Froggatt, scored loads and loads of goals at the very highest level, played of course in an outstanding side (in fact the best Pompey team in my lifetime of supporting The Blues).

Different time but Johnny Gordon and of course Ron Saunders were good finishers in teams that were not particularly outstanding or downright poor.

King Kemp and Colin Garwood always put a real shift in and scored plenty without ever being outstanding.

Of the later years I’m with those who rate Biley, Corporal punishment, Toddy and of course Defoe, a truly instinctive finisher. I must finish with Pitman whose first season with us was outstanding considering he had an average midfield behind him to say the least of it.

(14-01-2021, 02:14 PM)Wightblue Wrote: From the posts so far, I’m guessing that none of you are old enough to remember Messrs Ike Clarke, Thunderboots Reid, Peter Harris and Jack Froggatt, scored loads and loads of goals at the very highest level, played of course in an outstanding side (in fact the best Pompey team in my lifetime of supporting The Blues).

Different time but Johnny Gordon and of course Ron Saunders were good finishers in teams that were not particularly outstanding or downright poor.

King Kemp and Colin Garwood always put a real shift in and scored plenty without ever being outstanding.

Of the later years I’m with those who rate Biley, Corporal punishment, Toddy and of course Defoe, a truly instinctive finisher. I must finish with Pitman whose first season with us was outstanding considering he had an average midfield behind him to say the least of it.

Some good names to add to the debate there, especially Garwood. 

But Johnny Gordon ???? A defensive midfielder (right half in old money) who only scored 10 goals in 800+ odd games.
Not sure he should be on this list.

Maybe your right Deep but my mind was focussed on his early days with Pompey when he was a regular scorer, I couldn’t believe I was so wrong so I have just looked up the period, Johnny Gordon scored:

54/5 13 goals from 38 starts ( no subs in those days
55/6  5                  21
56/7 13                  39
57/8 13                  38
        44                136

He then was sold to Birmingham and returned much later, I agree that he shouldn’t be on my list, it’s nostalgia dulling my memory.

I don’t think your own stats do Johnny any justice, 10 goals in 800 games ?????? 

Wouldn’t 800 games make him Pompey’s all time record holder for appearances ? I thought that would be more likely to be Jimmy Dickinson (764) or Alan Knight (683 if it’s goalkeeping ), I confess I didn’t know anyone had made 800 appearances for Pompey ?

(14-01-2021, 03:12 PM)Wightblue Wrote: Maybe your right Deep but my mind was focussed on his early days with Pompey when he was a regular scorer, I couldn’t believe I was so wrong so I have just looked up the period, Johnny Gordon scored:

54/5 13 goals from 38 starts ( no subs in those days
55/6  5                  21
56/7 13                  39
57/8 13                  38
        44                136

He then was sold to Birmingham and returned much later, I agree that he shouldn’t be on my list, it’s nostalgia dulling my memory.

I don’t think your own stats do Johnny any justice, 10 goals in 800 games ?????? 

Wouldn’t 800 games make him Pompey’s all time record holder for appearances ? I thought that would be more likely to be Jimmy Dickinson (764) or Alan Knight (683 if it’s goalkeeping ), I confess I didn’t know anyone had made 800 appearances for Pompey ?

You are right.  God knows whose stats I was looking at on Pompeyrama when I checked Johnny Gordons record, but he did score 105 in 443 league appearances so not too shabby for a midfielder. 

Answering my own question ... it was still on Jimmy Dickinson (the default display on that site) and the 800+ includes cup games.

Apologies.

RE: Who is the best Pompey finisher you have ever seen - bluetagagain - 14-01-2021

Jimmy Gilligan
Scott McGarvey

RE: Who is the best Pompey finisher you have ever seen - Isaac Hunt - 14-01-2021

Peter Harris..no contest
A clinical outside right

RE: Who is the best Pompey finisher you have ever seen - Gerry Hatrick - 14-01-2021

Kempie and Walshie just for style.
David Kemp turning on a sixpence inside the box was one of my most cherished spectacles from behind the Fratton End goal.
Paul Walsh cutting in sent the pulse racing.
Marinello was a pretty exciting sight too but not a great finisher

Isaac - are you old enough ( like me) to see have seen Peter Harris play ? Blistering pace, able to beat his man (and often men) on either side and a truely clinical finisher.

Unlucky to be playing at the same time as Stanley Matthews otherwise he would have earned many more England caps.

Teamed up with Froggatt on the left and Duggie in the centre, goals to savour....and in those days, you could hear the roar all over Portsmouth when we scored, my Mum knew exactly how many we had scored when I got home in Copnor from the game.

RE: Who is the best Pompey finisher you have ever seen - Isaac Hunt - 16-01-2021

I guess you are the father of the board Wighty
Never saw Frogatt or Scoular
Mid 50's for me.Train down from Guildford,one time getting Busby Babes autographs when ther in their first class compartments
Peter Harris on the right,Gordon (ice rink) Dale on the left.
Jackie Henderson No 9
Great days,but sad as it was all downhill from there and had to listen to how great we were a few years before.

RE: Who is the best Pompey finisher you have ever seen - Northstander - 16-01-2021

(14-01-2021, 04:22 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: Jimmy Gilligan
Scott McGarvey

I'll add Donkey Baird to that pair Blue Tag

RE: Who is the best Pompey finisher you have ever seen - mikey393 - 16-01-2021

(16-01-2021, 01:04 PM)Northstander Wrote:
(14-01-2021, 04:22 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: Jimmy Gilligan
Scott McGarvey

I'll add Donkey Baird to that pair Blue Tag

RE: Who is the best Pompey finisher you have ever seen - mikey393 - 16-01-2021

Some Great Names on the lists & you can add Ray Crawford a Pompey lad born on Fratton Road.

Only played one season at FP but still managed 9 goals in 19 games.

Moved to Ipswich where he scored 143 goals over 197 appearances wish he stayed longer playing at FP.

Amazingly, only played 2 games for England scoring 1 goal may have been kept out by Jimmy Greaves same era.

Guy Whittingham for sheer amount of goals, Ron Saunders traditional CF when I first started watching Pompey. Strong goalscoring player who gave it back to CHs. Alan Biley playing of Mark Hately. Hately was sheer class like his father Tony & still remember his goal against Brazil! Special mentions for Micky who eat the pies Quinn & Super Brett Pitman.

RE: Who is the best Pompey finisher you have ever seen - Hammie - 16-01-2021

Whitts with his extendo leg. I could not believe how many times he beat 'keepers to a pass, even after several years of doing it. Quinn was dynamite too.
We had better all round strikers, but those two for me, with the club record holder being tops.

RE: Who is the best Pompey finisher you have ever seen - 66zoolane - 16-01-2021

Starting any post with 'I remember what my Mum said' is always going to be pathetic, so I'm going to start this post not with that, but with:

I remember what what my Mum said - it was Peter Harris.

With you Wightblue.

RE: Who is the best Pompey finisher you have ever seen - BilltheCat - 16-01-2021

(16-01-2021, 09:09 PM)66zoolane Wrote: I remember what what my Mum said - it was Peter Harris.

I think Mum might have been trying to tell you something else!

RE: Who is the best Pompey finisher you have ever seen - Milton Mick - 17-01-2021

For quality & class as a player since I've been watching from 1965 I liked Ray Pointer.

RE: Who is the best Pompey finisher you have ever seen - Isaac Hunt - 17-01-2021

Peter Harris 208 in 518 (all games)Not too shabby for an outside right

https://www.worldfootball.net/alltime_goalgetter/eng-premier-league/tore/portsmouth-fc/1/

A few inaccuracies in there