TrueBlueArmy Forums
Accrington - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Accrington (/showthread.php?tid=1145)

Accrington - exgaffer - 24-10-2021

I wasn’t there, so would welcome correction from someone who was but….

Just watched the highlights of the match, how the feck did we not win it?

Stanley had two shots and scored both times, we had chance after chance and could only score two of them.

Still, at least we are creating chances now.

Onwards and upwards  Smile .

RE: Accrington - Jizbag - 24-10-2021

(24-10-2021, 09:13 AM)exgaffer Wrote: I wasn’t there, so would welcome correction from someone who was but….

Stanley had two shots and scored both times, we had chance after chance and could only score two of them.

I saw the whole game on ifollow, it was staggering bad finishing. I swear I have better technique than Marquis and I'm 60! His decision making is diabolical. Defensively poor yet again, the decision to 
a) not pay off Downing
b) let Whartmough go and replace him with an injury prone defender
c) not bring in another proven central defender

is baffling and ruining our season. As is bringing in 2 crap loan strikers instead of a proven one like maybe Colby Bishop.

Shocking recruitment decisions overall.

RE: Accrington - Isaac Hunt - 24-10-2021

Reeco is starting to look good

RE: Accrington - bluetagagain - 24-10-2021

I’ve always though Recco’s best position was as a number 10 or a support striker ( false nine ???)

RE: Accrington - Wightblue - 24-10-2021

IFollow for me too, agree with Jizbag’s summary but would especially point out our inability do deal with crosses from the right to the back post.

Raggett can’t be everywhere and, again, yesterday, like at Rotherham, Accy’s opening goal was a simple enough affair, deep cross to the far stick, almost unopposed headed, bang! job done……simples!

Look back over match highlight on YouTube and you’ll see problems dealing with deep crosses are a common occurrence, we seem to have no plan how to deal with such events so the goals keep coming.

Another centre back four defender is surely a must in January, Cowley can’t rely on Robertson staying fit when he eventually returns and Downing is just too big a risk.

With regards to goal scoring, the fact that Harness (5) has scored more goals than our three alleged strikers between them and that without Curtis and Brown (3 each) we would be down amongst the dead men.

17 goals in in 14 league games says it all, worst goal difference in Top 6 is +7, ours -3, lots of room for improvement ……but where’s it coming from ?

RE: Accrington - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 24-10-2021

(24-10-2021, 11:46 AM)Wightblue Wrote: IFollow for me too, agree with Jizbag’s summary but would especially point out our inability do deal with crosses from the right to the back post.

Raggett can’t be everywhere and, again, yesterday, like at Rotherham, Accy’s opening goal was a simple enough affair, deep cross to the far stick, almost unopposed headed, bang! job done……simples!

Look back over match highlight on YouTube and you’ll see problems dealing with deep crosses are a common occurrence, we seem to have no plan how to deal with such events so the goals keep coming.

Another centre back four defender is surely a must in January, Cowley can’t rely on Robertson staying fit when he eventually returns and Downing is just too big a risk.

With regards to goal scoring, the fact that Harness (5) has scored more goals than our three alleged strikers between them and that without Curtis and Brown (3 each) we would be down amongst the dead men.

17 goals in in 14 league games says it all, worst goal difference in Top 6 is +7, ours -3, lots of room for improvement ……but where’s it coming from ?
Well some improvement did happen against Accrington by ditching the 3-5-2 for a more stable 4-2-3-1 and the players actually showing some heart and (in the most part) controlled aggression. We also didn’t capitulate after going behind which is unusual for these bottlers that currently play for us. All in all progress was made

RE: Accrington - briefcase_wanchor - 24-10-2021

Having Curtis back gave us more balance, but playing RHF on the right when he has no right foot seemed illogical, especially when we have Azeez twiddling his thumbs. I don’t think much of his left foot either.

RE: Accrington - bluetagagain - 24-10-2021

Apparently Azeez is technically gifted but not robust enough for big boys football-apparently

RE: Accrington - firqdays - 24-10-2021

I did not attend but watching the highlights it does suggest that it would be/can only be most positive to give JACOBS more game time ?

RE: Accrington - Rocketman - 24-10-2021

Having watched on iFollow I agree with most of the above, but the biggest issue up front for me is Marquis's lack of skill on the ball. Can't fault his energy and effort, and noticeably he did little moaning this time. But he's got no dribbling skill at all, and that's where we lose out. At the back, we desperately another CB. Ogilvie isn't the solution other than as a reserve. We desperately need a Clark/Whatmough/Burgess, but a clogger if necessary, someone at least 6ft3 who can give any CF a hard time.

RE: Accrington - Pedalo_menders - 24-10-2021

Just think, you could have 2 connor chaplins for the price of a John marquis...

RE: Accrington - Rocketman - 24-10-2021

Could have had CC for nothing if we'd used him properly the first time!

RE: Accrington - DeepBlue - 24-10-2021

(24-10-2021, 02:22 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Just think, you could have 2 connor chaplins for the price of a John marquis...

Barnsley paid the same for CC that we paid for JM. Ipswich haven't had to reveal what they paid yet but were splashing money about like mad in the summer.

RE: Accrington - Hammie - 25-10-2021

mind you for all his undoubted talent and goals...
Chaplin has already moved clubs many times, not sure why.
He left pompey because he and his agent got impatient, Kenny wanted him to stay. Another problem with playing one up front?

RE: Accrington - Northstandgeorge - 25-10-2021

He has only had 4 clubs he left here because he wasnt getting picked not suited to Jacketts system of playing. Coventry cashed in on him and he got himself a 4 year deal in the Championship probably earning 10 x what he earnt here. It was reported Ipswich paid around £750k for him. Jamal Lowe has also had the same number of moves and looks to be heading for the Premier League with Bournemouth.

RE: Accrington - mikey393 - 25-10-2021

(24-10-2021, 09:13 AM)exgaffer Wrote: I wasn’t there, so would welcome correction from someone who was but….

How indeed! We just didn't take our chances yet again & conceded 2 sloppy goals.

They were pretty average but took their chances. 

DC has to work on our defending more, 10 goals conceded & only 3 scored in 3 games is terrible.

In training they need to be constantly playing attack against defence until they start getting it right. 

If things don't improve Gaff you'll have to dust off the old addidas tracksuit,  sort out different colour bibs & get them working at it until theyget it right.

I'll see if a few pints can be laid on as remuneration!