TrueBlueArmy Forums
Dead wood - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Dead wood (/showthread.php?tid=1192)

Pages: 1 2

Dead wood - Pedalo_menders - 08-11-2021

An article in the news today lists 13 players we can dump in the summer
 Fingers crossed most can be offloaded in the Jan window.

We need a minimum of 2 competent CB's and 2-3 competent strikers.

Here are the 13 fyi:

Harrison- dump
Downing - dump
Harness- keep 
Marquis - dump
Reeco - keep. He must be cheap and is a young player worth developing.
Raggett - dump. Will never be a promotion CB and we would be fucked if by some miracle we got promoted. There is an argument to keep him IF we signed 2 Bobby big bollox CBs of Whatmough's quality. Fat chance.
Brown - dump. Like with Raggett, i was amazed we renewed his contract the last time!
Jacobs - keep. Best crosser of the ball we have. I'd rather Cowley went, than Jacobs.
Johnson - keep. But I think we'll get rid. Lucky sausage got out just in time, didn't he.
Williams - dump. Not done anything to warrant a new contract. 
Thompson L - Keep. Seems one of the very few DC signings that can actually play football.
Reid - Don't care. 

Mingi - Don't care.

RE: Dead wood - slayer - 08-11-2021

Dump them all. Seriously I don't see a single Championship capable player in that list and that's the measure required.

RE: Dead wood - exgaffer - 08-11-2021

(08-11-2021, 06:19 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: An article in the news today lists 13 players we can dump in the summer
 Fingers crossed most can be offloaded in the Jan window.

We need a minimum of 2 competent CB's and 2-3 competent strikers.

Here are the 13 fyi:

Harrison- dump
Downing - dump
Harness- keep 
Marquis - dump
Reeco - keep. He must be cheap and is a young player worth developing.
Raggett - dump. Will never be a promotion CB and we would be fucked if by some miracle we got promoted. There is an argument to keep him IF we signed 2 Bobby big bollox CBs of Whatmough's quality. Fat chance.
Brown - dump. Like with Raggett, i was amazed we renewed his contract the last time!
Jacobs - keep. Best crosser of the ball we have. I'd rather Cowley went, than Jacobs.
Johnson - keep. But I think we'll get rid. Lucky sausage got out just in time, didn't he.
Williams - dump. Not done anything to warrant a new contract. 
Thompson L - Keep. Seems one of the very few DC signings that can actually play football.
Reid - Don't care. 

Mingi - Don't care.

I agree with most of that but not Raggett or Brown.

Raggett has been very good and definitely would be able to cope with the Championship.

We won’t be there any time soon though, so it would seem to be a moot point.

We definitely need another CB or two though, Raggett has been doing most of the defending on his own.

RE: Dead wood - Smirnoffexpress - 08-11-2021

Dump the lot, including the manager and owners and start from scratch. With something that gives us a bit of hope and pride!

RE: Dead wood - BilltheCat - 08-11-2021

(08-11-2021, 07:46 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: Dump the lot, including the manager and owners and start from scratch. With something that gives us a bit of hope and pride!

We had that!

RE: Dead wood - bluetagagain - 08-11-2021

Other than Thompson, Raggett ( I’d keep alongside 2 new CB’s) and maybe Reid- although we don’t know what he’s like. I’d bin the rest they’re not good enough now so I doubt they’ll improve by the end of the season. The front three should’ve been sold pre- season as they’ve failed the last 3 seasons ( the money from Hatness, Curtis and Marquis could’ve been used for rebuilding)

RE: Dead wood - fullymentaljackett - 08-11-2021

(08-11-2021, 08:29 PM)BilltheCat Wrote:
(08-11-2021, 07:46 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: Dump the lot, including the manager and owners and start from scratch. With something that gives us a bit of hope and pride!

We had that!

Yes and its failed again so time to move on again. You don't stick with more failure.

RE: Dead wood - Hammie - 08-11-2021

Dump the managers and bring in an old fashioned keep it simple manager.
Then let him keep the simple old fashioned footballers.
I suspect that Raggett, Brown, Williams for starters would be far happier under a manager who does not even know what a touch screen is.
Keep Harness, Thompson.
Sell Curtis if we get an offer to finance other moves, but on a long contract so keep him unless we get proper money as he is still one of our best performers and has attitude. Make him captain and carte blanche to kick players down the tunnel.

RE: Dead wood - stayinupforever - 09-11-2021

(08-11-2021, 10:34 PM)Hammie Wrote: Dump the managers and bring in an old fashioned keep it simple manager.
Then let him keep the simple old fashioned footballers.
I suspect that Raggett, Brown, Williams for starters would be far happier under a manager who does not even know what a touch screen is.
Keep Harness, Thompson.
Sell Curtis if we get an offer to finance other moves, but on a long contract so keep him unless we get proper money as he is still one of our best performers and has attitude. Make him captain and carte blanche to kick players down the tunnel.
If Curtis kicks players down the tunnel the way he kicks opposition players there'll be nobody left on the pitch!

RE: Dead wood - Pedalo_menders - 09-11-2021

Just thinking the best way to offload the likes of Harrison & Downing would be to offer them as a loan until the end of the season with an option to buy.

It would mean sacrificing a fee (like we would ever get one lol) but gives the other club complete flexibility to try out the player before becoming a free agent. Presumably you would agree terms with the player at the point of the loan activating and the purchasing club will have the option to activate it at the seasons end.

Everyone wins: we remove the cost of wages.
Player gets a new club before becoming a free agent and the opportunity for first team football.
Purchasing club secures the player for free but will full flexibility to pull out of the deal in the summer.

RE: Dead wood - exgaffer - 09-11-2021

(09-11-2021, 02:25 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Just thinking the best way to offload the likes of Harrison & Downing would be to offer them as a loan until the end of the season with an option to buy.

It would mean sacrificing a fee (like we would ever get one lol) but gives the other club complete flexibility to try out the player before becoming a free agent. Presumably you would agree terms with the player at the point of the loan activating and the purchasing club will have the option to activate it at the seasons end.

Everyone wins: we remove the cost of wages.
Player gets a new club before becoming a free agent and the opportunity for first team football.
Purchasing club secures the player for free but will full flexibility to pull out of the deal in the summer.

Why on earth would anyone (apart from us of course) contemplate signing a forward who doesn’t score goals?

Downing has been crap for us but does have a bit of a pedigree so would be worth a punt.

RE: Dead wood - DeepBlue - 09-11-2021

Plymouth wanted Harrison on deadline day apparently, so there is every chance someone will want him. But he will have to agree to go.

RE: Dead wood - Pedalo_menders - 09-11-2021

I think he would see sense this time round. It would be very silly to be an out of contract, out of favour, injured striker with 0 goals, come the end of the season.

If he has any sense, he will snap up any offer he is given.

RE: Dead wood - mikey393 - 09-11-2021

(09-11-2021, 03:22 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: Plymouth wanted Harrison on deadline day apparently, so there is every chance someone will want him. But he will have to agree to go.

Bet he's kicking himself now! But No doubt down to money as always with Greedy footballers & even Greedier agents I suspect!

RE: Dead wood - SouthseaBubble - 09-11-2021

Plymouth may not be where they are now in the table if he'd gone. (And I don't mean they'd be top!)

RE: Dead wood - Hammie - 09-11-2021

all of our strikers might well do a huge amount better as part of a proper front two. Several clubs still play that way, so they could all do a lot better than playing as a sole striker in a team that creates little.

RE: Dead wood - TBP - 09-11-2021

(09-11-2021, 05:24 PM)Hammie Wrote: all of our strikers might well do a huge amount better as part of a proper front two. Several clubs still play that way, so they could all do a lot better than playing as a sole striker in a team that creates little.

The very idea of playing two up front.

RE: Dead wood - Hammie - 23-11-2021

seeing the way we are playing.....

A second tall centre half sems the top priority to me in January (not to replace Og but we are clearly still short there. )
Hirst is buying us time to find a striker, doing very well.

Still think we might let Jacobs go and use his fee and wages to fill in hte gaps

RE: Dead wood - tricky_ricky_pfc - 23-11-2021

Looked good tonight, keep…..most of them.

RE: Dead wood - TBP - 23-11-2021

Now we just need Downing to come back and prove that he's a decent player after all.

RE: Dead wood - Hermann's_no_hermit - 23-11-2021

(23-11-2021, 09:55 PM)TBP Wrote: Now we just need Downing to come back and prove that he's a decent player after all.

Steady on TBP reality can only be stretched so far...

RE: Dead wood - Pedalo_menders - 24-11-2021

I still stand by what i said regarding dump / keep list.

Raggett is playing well at the moment though but im still not convinced he is a ball playing CB. We desperately need 2 quality CB's

RE: Dead wood - dsmg - 24-11-2021

Raggett is a linchpin to this team at the moment. His positional sense is excellent and he has bailed us out time and time again this season. He wins about 95% of all aerial duels and is much better on the ground than when he started and got slated. One of the most improved players I’ve seen in a Pompey shirt. I wanna hold my hand up for Hirst too. I tore into him after his first few appearances but lately he’s played well, scored and assisted. Last night he was excellent and did some really nice stuff. He’s quick, quite strong and has a good shot. Could go on to be a good footballer.

RE: Dead wood - Jizbag - 24-11-2021

Get rid of Marquis, Harrison, Downing. Replace with decent strikers and a good CH and back up for Curtis. We'll have a good squad.
Impressed with the performance last night although missed the 1st half, looked comfortable and threatening. Looking much better in recent weeks!

RE: Dead wood - bluetagagain - 24-11-2021

Raggett is more than good enough for L1 and would be good to keep as a squad/sub if we ever got promoted