TrueBlueArmy Forums
Express FM - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Express FM (/showthread.php?tid=1197)

Pages: 1 2

Express FM - PompeyDB - 10-11-2021

See the link below. In a nutshell, Portsmouth FC have forced Express FM to sack two of their three match day team so that they can be replaced with happy-clappy new people brought in to sing the club's praises every week. 

Disgusting, in my opinion. 

https://easternroaddebrief.wordpress.com/2021/11/07/do-not-express-yourself/

RE: Express FM - Hammie - 10-11-2021

might the timing be something to do with the replacement of one chief exec with another. One was very involved with the fans out of choice. One seems a very much more corporate type of thing.
Takes a while to start making a mark....

RE: Express FM - slayer - 10-11-2021

Own the press, own the opinions

RE: Express FM - Wightblue - 10-11-2021

Whether anybody agrees with everything that was said on Express by the guys, this is a bad day for the club, free speech replaced by ‘Pompey Speak’.

I grow ever more alienated by Eisner and his sycophants and their mishandling of my club Pompey.

It will be a good day when he and they depart.

RE: Express FM - Pedalo_menders - 11-11-2021

Absolutely disgraceful!!!!! What can we do to get organised to push back on this?

RE: Express FM - slayer - 11-11-2021

Tune into their replacement podcast instead

RE: Express FM - Smirnoffexpress - 11-11-2021

Not good, on many levels.

RE: Express FM - Rick Pumpkin - 11-11-2021

(11-11-2021, 01:09 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Absolutely disgraceful!!!!! What can we do to get organised to push back on this?

In a word, nothing.  When the shareholding majority wet their panties at the first fistful of dollars waved at the club, they lost any say they had in the way the club is now run.  It was a democratic vote and as with other democratic votes over here we live with the consequences.

Get used to it, the owners are just warming up.  If you believe what you hear, first the apparent editing of the October Tony Goodall minutes to reflect the meeting the way they want it being conveyed and now having their 'input' into how they are portrayed on the radio.

The good thing is there are alternatives to listen to and to read.

RE: Express FM - teeftwo - 11-11-2021

There's nothing we can do about it per se. The price Express FM had to pay for getting their feed back on the iFollow thread was to allow Pompey to install it's own staff on the broadcast team. Express FM, who can't exactly be rolling in it, had to make a choice to follow the money or carry on as they were. I suspect their broadcast rights from games was also mentioned. Rock and a hard place for them. They way they managed it with their staff by telling them by email was a disgrace and cowardly.

On the plus side it means the discussion will be all Pompey and not Bournemouth or that other lot. On the downside no dissenting opinions will be allowed. Solent will now become the sole option if you want to hear criticism on match day.

If Pompey wanted to go this route they should have, in my opinion, just established their own iFollow team of commentators/pundits and used that, not forced the hand of an independent.

Personally I don't want a sanitised commentary, I want good broadcast standards from proper fans of the club who are not afraid to voice opinions that the owners might not like. It needs to be informed, they need to know what they are talking about from a football perspective but it needs passion and they should have the right to hold players, coaches and the owners to account if they think it's justified.

I really, really don't like what they've done here.

RE: Express FM - exgaffer - 11-11-2021

Any censoring of views is, of course, disgraceful. Sounds like there was a spot of ‘box ticking’ in there too.

I think people are going a bit over the top about this though. Pompey fans have eyes and their view of the team, management and owners is not based on what they hear on the radio is it?

Pompey fans, while many in number, are a relatively small community. It is not possible to mould their thinking in the way that a national media can. People are right on top of the club and it is not possible to pull the wool over their eyes.

Apart from anything else, the number of people who listen to Express FM is vanishingly small in the great scheme of things, I can only think of two people who listen to it and they don’t base their opinions of the club on what they hear on the radio ffs.

Most Pompey debate goes on amongst friends in the stands and in the pub or other social gatherings, pundits have very little, if anything, to do with it.

RE: Express FM - scouse - 11-11-2021

Never listen to Express FM.

Count me in for podcasts.

RE: Express FM - Isaac Hunt - 11-11-2021

The Viking sincerely erudite as always.A sad affair.
What next? the guys at The News looking over their shoulders ?
Moonie and Whitts shackled.

RE: Express FM - DeepBlue - 11-11-2021

The sackings have been handled terribly by Express FM and the club do not come out if this very well by insisting on change.  These people were volunteers and doing their best and deserved better explanations and timings for their removal. But perhaps we need to treat the disgusting way they have been treated and the intent behind the changes as two seperate issues. 

I have to confess I always found the ramblings of the Express FM lot very amateurish. Yes, they were true fans just expressing their opinions and that has its place but I never felt it was a very professional  production.  People have been moaning about iFollow not having Pompey content outside of the match commentary, the club have listened and it could be argued they have responded by trying to improve the offering by putting in place a different team, which may or not be better than what came before it. 

But the assumption that a more impartial non-Pompey supporting anchor and the women's player will be sycophantic towards the club are just that , an assumption. Let's wait and see.  

Personally I have more of a problem with the women's player bit. I am a great supporter of women's football and really pleased that it is getting a higher focus these days but IMO the men's game and the women's game are two completely separate sports and being competent at one does not qualify you to comment with any expertise on the other. And that works both ways.

RE: Express FM - Pedalo_menders - 11-11-2021

You are unbelievable Deep. Are you on the clubs payroll?

(11-11-2021, 11:59 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: You are unbelievable Deep. Are you on the clubs payroll?

No, just a fan - like those that have been treated so badly. Which is why we should be outraged by that. 

But I'm just honest enough to admit that the product being offered was not the best it could be , well-meaning amateurs are only going to produce an amatuerish product and that is something that can be improved on. 

For me, this is yet another reason to question the judgement being shown by Andy Cullen. His tenure seem to be lurching from one PR disaster to another .This falls on Cullen's shoulders and he should come out and explain himself. If the rumour is true  that Catlin has stood down from his job at Topps I'd have him back in a flash.

RE: Express FM - Jizbag - 11-11-2021

If my mind was not fully made up about the owners then it is now. The sooner they fuck off the better.

RE: Express FM - Hammie - 11-11-2021

There are advantages to being BBC owned as per Solent. Whitts has openly criticised regularly right back to Cook's team and he's still there. Ditto the News.
Some might hate both for their own reasons, but they remain independent of the club and can say what they think.

I wonder if either will be banned from the ground at some point, it has happened before.

RE: Express FM - Smirnoffexpress - 11-11-2021

Fook Catlin, he is the main reason we have got what we have got.

Balanced and fair from Deep I thought. There are two concerns there.

RE: Express FM - Lawrence - 11-11-2021

I think the express FM team have been seriously undervalued.  I remember them  when they lost it after we equalised against skum at st marys. Hilarious  but honest. True, the aren't as slick as the BBC alternative but they did it because they were fans and not just because they have to. Over the years, it's sometimes been the only source openly discussing the woes of Portsmouth FC. 

I confess to finding the new CEO to be a bit of a prat really. He messed up the start of the season and introduced cashless transactions without any consideration for those who don't do that. He's a pen pusher.

What ithis does do is give a little insight into the current culture within this club. Clearly they are aware of increasing frustration with the owners and want to control more of the narrative. I think they underestimate our ability to spot bullkrap. 

Also, deep blue is spot on when he says that the woman's and men's games are different sports - otherwise we'd have mixed teams. I guess it's another one of those ticking the boxes to look inclusive. I'm not dissing the women's game before anyone chooses to jump in and have a squinny.

Andrew Cull'em ;-)

RE: Express FM - kindofblue - 11-11-2021

Deep - isn’t the issue not the men’s and women’s games which are obviously different but the equal ability of each to comment on the other’s games?

(11-11-2021, 08:06 PM)kindofblue Wrote: Deep - isn’t the issue not the men’s and women’s games which are obviously different but the equal ability of each to comment on the other’s games?

Absolutely .. that was what I thought I said, or at least what I tried to say,  

I've no problem with the opposite sex being commentators on the other's game (though we are yet  to have a really good female commentator IMO), no problem with them as TV anchors for programmes (e.g Gaby Logan is really good IMO), and no problem with them passing comments as fans of the other's game, but they should not be put up as expert pundits for a game they have never played.

RE: Express FM - Hammie - 12-11-2021

and all radio broadcasters should have to do a voice test before being given the job, as they always did.
I listen to the cricket a lot and there is a huge difference between two of the female commentators, one is fantastic, one has an awful voice. Among the newer men, especially the ex players the same wide variation is obvious.

And how Robbie Savage ever got a job on the radio..... ?

RE: Express FM - Jezzer - 12-11-2021

The 2 ladies (Ebony and Isa) who do commentry and summarizing on the cricket are both excellent and frankly a lot better than most of their male companions. Their accents are not the standard 50s perceived pronunciation but thankfully we've moved on from all that snobbery. Phil Tufnell's mockney routine went stale many years ago and although Michael Vaughan is an excellent analyser of the game he comes across as a bit of a coont. Not that we will be hearing much from him on the airwaves from now on.