TrueBlueArmy Forums
Early Start Next Season - 30th July - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Early Start Next Season - 30th July (/showthread.php?tid=1209)

Early Start Next Season - 30th July - teeftwo - 16-11-2021

Because of the World Cup in the winter (I still don't agree with that), the start of the season is being pushed back to 30th July. So this'll mean even less time to get a squad sorted for next year.

Season will pause on the 12th November and restart on the 10th December.

All so we can have a World Cup in a country with zero footballing pedigree barring an Asian Cup victory and ranked 46th in the World.

RE: Early Start Next Season - 30th July - Pedalo_menders - 16-11-2021

I've been to Qatar a few times on business. It had a very dfferent (more chilled) vibe to other Middle Eastern places ive visited. Not as flashy as Dubai, Abu Dhabi etc but just as wealthy.

I don't know what the Qatari's will make of football fans. I think they are in for a huge shock. Culturally the people are warm and welcoming but also have the no alcohol thing. They love their football too. So I imagine there will be plenty of enjoyment to be had but I dread to think what will happen to the tartan army should they start getting their cocks out and having a pre match paddle in the fountains...

A winter world Cup could be just the advantage England need to finally win a tournament again. Looks like the team has continued to improve on the fantastic performances at the Euros. I'm excited for it.

RE: Early Start Next Season - 30th July - Gerry Hatrick - 16-11-2021

(16-11-2021, 10:58 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: I've been to Qatar a few times on business. It had a very dfferent (more chilled) vibe to other Middle Eastern places ive visited. Not as flashy as Dubai, Abu Dhabi etc but just as wealthy.

I don't know what the Qatari's will make of football fans. I think they are in for a huge shock. Culturally the people are warm and welcoming but also have the no alcohol thing. They love their football too. So I imagine there will be plenty of enjoyment to be had but I dread to think what will happen to the tartan army should they start getting their cocks out and having a pre match paddle in the fountains...

A winter world Cup could be just the advantage England need to finally win a tournament again. Looks like the team has continued to improve on the fantastic performances at the Euros. I'm excited for it.

There's a brilliant routine from Danny Bhoy about this. He imagines the Scots fans arriving at Qatar thus:

Passport control: "Hello and welcome to Qatar and congratulations on qualifying for the World Cup. However, I hope you realise that if you drink here you will get lashed."

Scots fan (grinning): Aye, Jimmy. Exactly the same as back home!"

RE: Early Start Next Season - 30th July - TBP - 16-11-2021

(16-11-2021, 10:26 AM)teeftwo Wrote: Because of the World Cup in the winter (I still don't agree with that), the start of the season is being pushed back to 30th July. So this'll mean even less time to get a squad sorted for next year.

Season will pause on the 12th November and restart on the 10th December.

All so we can have a World Cup in a country with zero footballing pedigree barring an Asian Cup victory and ranked 46th in the World.

Yes, only 9 months.

RE: Early Start Next Season - 30th July - Hammie - 16-11-2021

30th July. A good reason to abandon pre season friendlies completely. Go straight in with two weeks of League cup and trophy games.

RE: Early Start Next Season - 30th July - teeftwo - 17-11-2021

TBP - you know full well I'm referring to the shorter transfer window.

RE: Early Start Next Season - 30th July - PompeyDB - 17-11-2021

FIFA are also always very keen to promote LGBT etc rights, as they should be, but a few brown envelopes stuffed full of bloody money and they'll conveniently forget all about that and award the World Cup to a country where being gay is a criminal offence.

There will be all sorts of talk about boycotts but nobody will follow through with it. Can't blame the players; their careers are short and playing at that level is the pinnacle of their dreams, but the sponsors and the suits ought to be ashamed of themselves.

RE: Early Start Next Season - 30th July - Hammie - 17-11-2021

Odd isn't it. One player complains about name calling and the sponsors and ECB ditch Yorkshire as if they are wearing white hoods.
Half of the population (women) are actively and overtly discriminated against across many countries, but that's ok.

RE: Early Start Next Season - 30th July - BilltheCat - 17-11-2021

Seriously, Hammie?

RE: Early Start Next Season - 30th July - blueandwight - 18-11-2021

Does it really matter. The whole world is corrupt and/or completely inept including FIFA, UEFA and FA.
That said, I do have one wish as a supporter of a Third Division club...can we get rid of or, at least, reduce the number of international breaks; so boring.