TrueBlueArmy Forums
Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday (/showthread.php?tid=1217)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - Pedalo_menders - 19-11-2021

Deep, you're still ignoring the fact that the two keepers are neck and neck. If there is so little difference between them, why play the one who is going to naff off at the end of the season instead of improving the one you've got for (hopefully) long term?

Why waste an already wasted season on doing Man City a favour?

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - DeepBlue - 19-11-2021

(19-11-2021, 04:10 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Deep, you're still ignoring the fact that the two keepers are neck and neck. If there is so little difference between them, why play the one who is going to naff off at the end of the season instead of improving the one you've got for (hopefully) long term?

Why waste an already wasted season on doing Man City a favour?

Even if they are neck and neck (and I think Bazanu's international experience makes him just ahead) the manager has to pick his first choice and only change it when form drops.  Bazanu's form drop was months ago, he has been very good lately. As has Bass (in one game). As I said at the start either choice is a good chouice, but  my main point is that Cowley should not allow any outside factors like who is on loan affect his decision on who is best for this game. Any more than he should when choosing who to play up front, or at right back etc.  And that based on past experience I think Cowley will pick Bazanu - he is his first choice keeper.

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - Ain’t got a Danny - 19-11-2021

Stick with a winning team. Play Bass.

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - dsmg - 19-11-2021

Very true, Bass got crucified last year for a mistake when he was clearly fouled at a corner.

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - Wightblue - 19-11-2021

Of course, so far this thread has been wholly subjective so I thought I would inject some statistics (yes, I know there are lies, damn lies….and statistics, for example,  I always loved it when posters on here used to quote Jackett’s win percentage as a measure of his greatness). Two lines of Stats anyway:

Last season Pompey conceded 36 goals from 35 games  (Season curtailed)

Thus far this season it’s 21 goals from 17 games.

Clearly the defence has changed, again, many on here claim Cowley’s signings have strengthened the team. Whether or not Bazunu is better than McG I leave to others to decide, like all goalkeepers they both made howlers - which is the more guilty of the two ?

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - Hammie - 20-11-2021

never change a winning team, especially when its been a long time since the last away win and the keeper had a lot to do with it
If Bass gets dropped can't see why he would bother with training until the next international window

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - DeepBlue - 20-11-2021

(19-11-2021, 10:50 PM)Wightblue Wrote: Of course, so far this thread has been wholly subjective so I thought I would inject some statistics (yes, I know there are lies, damn lies….and statistics, for example,  I always loved it when posters on here used to quote Jackett’s win percentage as a measure of his greatness). Two lines of Stats anyway:

Last season Pompey conceded 36 goals from 35 games  (Season curtailed)

Thus far this season it’s 21 goals from 17 games.

Clearly the defence has changed, again, many on here claim Cowley’s signings have strengthened the team. Whether or not Bazunu is better than McG I leave to others to decide, like all goalkeepers they both made howlers - which is the more guilty of the two ?

Last season was not curtailed FFS  ... that was the season before. 

Last season we conceded 51 in 46 games.

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - Wightblue - 20-11-2021

Oops ! Silly me, I stand corrected !

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - Pedalo_menders - 20-11-2021

If I was giving DC the benefit of the doubt previously, he no longer has it from me. Looks like he is more interested in building bridges with premier league clubs than doing what is best for our club.

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - Jizbag - 20-11-2021

Well watching on ifollow we've been pretty poor other than the first 5 mins. This team is fairly decent but we don't seem to have any sustainable periods of pressure. If we don't turn it around this half some serious questions need to be asked. We are playing Wimbledon after all.

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - Northstander - 20-11-2021

(20-11-2021, 04:12 PM)Jizbag Wrote: Well watching on ifollow we've been pretty poor other than the first 5 mins. This team is fairly decent but we don't seem to have any sustainable periods of pressure. If we don't turn it around this half some serious questions need to be asked. We are playing Wimbledon after all.

Well Jizz we did turn it around. Tbh I was a little disappointed with us after we equalised. I thought we would put them under a lot more pressure than we did. However Harness' cracking winner more than made up for that. P..U.P.

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - Jizbag - 20-11-2021

(20-11-2021, 05:48 PM)Northstander Wrote:
(20-11-2021, 04:12 PM)Jizbag Wrote: Well watching on ifollow we've been pretty poor other than the first 5 mins. This team is fairly decent but we don't seem to have any sustainable periods of pressure. If we don't turn it around this half some serious questions need to be asked. We are playing Wimbledon after all.

Well Jizz we did turn it around. Tbh I was a little disappointed with us after we equalised. I thought we would put them under a lot more pressure than we did. However Harness' cracking winner more than made up for that. P..U.P.

Yep, I was bemused by taking Hirst off but RHF came on and played well. I was delighted with the winner which we thoroughly deserved based on the 2nd half performance.

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - Northstander - 20-11-2021

I agree with that Jiz. RHF plays a lot in front of where I sit and you are right he improved us. Him, Romeo and Harness are a real threat on the rhs. I stayed to the end but some near me had left when the winner was scored. Serves them right Lol

Watching the warm ups, they'd best let Bass go out on loan. He looked absolutely shattered and very much "what's the point" can't say I blame him.

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - Gerry Hatrick - 20-11-2021

...and as regards the penalty, Bazanu dived to his left when it went straight down the middle.
Bass would have saved it!

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - ForeverPompey - 20-11-2021

Baz plenty of nightmare moments again today plus some decent saves.

(20-11-2021, 08:29 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: Baz plenty of nightmare moments again today plus some decent saves.

good sides are going to love playing us, pick us off at the back kaching! 
Or maybe its already happened

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - Tomsk - 21-11-2021

(20-11-2021, 06:20 PM)Hammie Wrote: Watching the warm ups, they'd best let Bass go out on loan. He looked absolutely shattered and very much "what's the point" can't say I blame him.

Really, then he deserves to be out of the team and given a right good boot up the arse for sulking. It's a team game and harsh decisions have to be made, if he doesn't like it tough, life ain't fair either

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - Hammie - 21-11-2021

(21-11-2021, 12:46 AM)Tomsk Wrote:
(20-11-2021, 06:20 PM)Hammie Wrote: Watching the warm ups, they'd best let Bass go out on loan. He looked absolutely shattered and very much "what's the point" can't say I blame him.

Really, then he deserves to be out of the team and given a right good boot up the arse for sulking. It's a team game and harsh decisions have to be made, if he doesn't like it tough, life ain't fair either

so letting him go on loan and play would seem only fair, rather than blocking his career development keeping him here so another club's young keeper can develop here in his place, with no intention of ever staying.

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - Tomsk - 21-11-2021

Er no, let him fight for his place, just like at every other club at every level. They should be working together and pushing each other on, healthy team competition and all that. Has everyone gone fecking soft or something?

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - scouse - 21-11-2021

Booting folk up the arse is a bit old-skool management. This is the twenty-first century after all. And I'm just a woke leftie snowflake. Allegedly.

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - Jizbag - 21-11-2021

(21-11-2021, 01:06 AM)Tomsk Wrote: Er no, let him fight for his place, just like at every other club at every level. They should be working together and pushing each other on, healthy team competition and all that. Has everyone gone fecking soft or something?

He fought for his place last week, fat lot of good it did him.

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - Gerry Hatrick - 21-11-2021

(21-11-2021, 01:06 AM)Tomsk Wrote: Er no, let him fight for his place, just like at every other club at every level. They should be working together and pushing each other on, healthy team competition and all that. Has everyone gone fecking soft or something?

Just what has he got to do then? Save two penalties and maybe score a hat-trick from goal kicks???

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - bluetagagain - 21-11-2021

Either way DC was going to get flak for whatever path he took. As regards Bazunu I didn’t see any mistakes. My only criticism of Baz is that we keep playing it back to him after about 4 passes in which we have gained no territory whatsoever, Bass is more of a GK than a sweeper keeper.

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - DeepBlue - 21-11-2021

(21-11-2021, 09:37 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote:

Just what has he got to do then? Save two penalties and maybe score a hat-trick from goal kicks???

You could make the same 'what more does he have to do' argument for Bazanu. What more could he have done than keep two clean sheets on international duty including one outstanding save ? Why is that seen as less of an achievement than what Bass did at Wycombe ?

And if you drop players for getting called up for internationals good luck signing any international players on the future.