TrueBlueArmy Forums
Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday (/showthread.php?tid=1217)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - dsmg - 21-11-2021

Deep, the argument here is more look after our own, rather than Man City’s.

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - DeepBlue - 21-11-2021

(21-11-2021, 04:08 PM)dsmg Wrote: Deep, the argument here is more look after our own, rather than Man City’s.

I understand that, but as I said earlier that is an argument against using the loan system at all. We are not in a position to not use loans at all, and any league one manager who does not use the loan system (both in and out) is letting their club down. The difference this season is that we have used the loan system with an aim to strengthen the first team rather than just fill the squad.   

So that boat has sailed, we've got our squad for the season and you pick the best team you can for each game. To not pick a better player because he is only on loan would be totally daft.  And again, as i said earlier that argument to pick Bass ahead of Bazanu would have applied just as much if Bass had played rubbish, but I'm sure no-one would be arguing for it. 

Besides, playing matches is only one part of developing a young keeper. Good coaching plays a part too, and the evidence of the way he played is that Bass is coming along nicely with whatever the Cowleys are doing with him. 

Bazanu played well, we won the game, Cowley got it right.

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - bluebollox - 21-11-2021

(21-11-2021, 04:08 PM)dsmg Wrote: Deep, the argument here is more look after our own, rather than Man City’s.

If I may interject dsmg. I think DC is duty bound to play his BEST team. For me that includes Baz simply because he is excellent & is here. Nothing against Bass who imho is more than decent enough. Maybe DC should've brought in a understudy for him, he didn't & we have a international class keeper here on loan. We have to put ourselves in DC's shoes here imo.

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - dsmg - 21-11-2021

I'm not advocating playing Bass, I'm just reiterating that some have pointed out that perhaps we'd be better off playing our own player who hasn't put a foot wrong when he's played (unlike Baz it has to be said who has committed two or three howlers). A very difficult decision for the Cowley's either way. Perhaps he could keep Bass happy if he plays in the upcoming cup games.

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - Pompey_in_Derby - 21-11-2021

Can see and appreciate both side of the argument.

For me, both keepers are very similar in terms of ability and experience.

Bass has started 39 games for PFC plus spells on loan at Salisbury, Torquay and Southend. 
Baz had a season at Rochdale before his loan here.

I feel that Bass commands his box better, like a 'traditional keeper', whereas Baz is more comfortable in the modern 'keeper-sweeper' role.

If I was manager, I'd play Baz at home where we tend to have more possession and build from the back, and play Bass away to support quick counter-attacks.

PFC really need to manage the situation to keep both keepers fully motivated. Hopefully, the Legend can offer his advice to both - after all, Knightsie had a long wait as understudy to Peter Mellor before becoming our regular number one.

RE: Bazunu v Bass for Saturday - blueandwight - 21-11-2021

I'd like to think that bass will get a game in 2nd Round of FA Cup.
Cowley will put out a s
strong side simply because we haven't got the number of players to rotate and, more importantly, the possibility of a big payday if we win and get one of the big boys in Round 3, preferably away to West Ham or Spurs....a day out, new ground, get beat, take the money and run!