TrueBlueArmy Forums
Cowley: Marquis and Hirst are "different players" - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Cowley: Marquis and Hirst are "different players" (/showthread.php?tid=1304)

Cowley: Marquis and Hirst are "different players" - Cunninglinguist - 18-12-2021

So DC reckons that Marquis and Hirst are different types of players.

I agree with him.

Both struggle to score but only one of them looks like he has a chance of scoring. 
Both are known for their first touch on the ball but only one of them is actually any good.
Both are known for pressing hard against the opposition but only one of them actually looks as though it's effective in areas it counts.
Both have received derision from the terraces but only one is actually coming good and is receiving well earned praise.

I hope only one of them is still here at the end of January.

RE: Different players - firqdays - 18-12-2021

Still awaiting an offer from the Robins !

RE: Different players - Lawrence - 18-12-2021

I think it's a shame that some fans have a go at Pompey strikers. At its height, Hirst was getting all the abuse based on about 16 minutes of sub appearances. Now, after a couple of goals he's god's gift and it's marquis' turn. I actually agree that marquis should move on. Our strikers need freshening up but we are also need midfielders that can create (we have one) and wingers that can cross (we have none). Most of our strikers feed on scraps.

RE: Different players - bluetagagain - 18-12-2021

I think Hirst is at best a squad player, however, he does look as if he has the ability to improve whereas Marquis will never improve beyond the mediocre.

RE: Different players - blueandwight - 18-12-2021

Did I just miss something here?
Have we just gone nine league games undefeated?
Yes, Marquis is desperately poor but, when you have a small squad decimated by injuries/illness and you're alrteady playing people out of position, beggars can't be choosers.

RE: Different players - Cunninglinguist - 18-12-2021

Based on a fantastic defensive resolve and Harness’ goal spree.

Yes, I believe you did miss something.

RE: Different players - Hammie - 18-12-2021

Yep Harnes is on a great goal scoring run.
Is that likely to continue?
Will Marquis continue to fail to score for the rest of the season?

It beggars belief that his record was so good with Doncaster. People go on about Coppingers part in that (and I'm sure that must be true) but he still had to actually score.

Mind, a certain M Smith couldn't do it at Fratton (not until he left, anyway).

RE: Different players - mikey393 - 18-12-2021

I'd to see Hirst & Harrison playing off each other up front. Harrison is good in the air winning lick ons for Hirst to run on to. Also holing up the ball with back to goal.

But that's what Hirst does, isn't it? I think he's better at it too and he's got pace.

RE: Different players - PompeyDB - 18-12-2021

Baffled by this sudden Hirst love-in. Marquis and Harrison are both crap, I agree, but both have more goals than Hirst this season. He's not even our player FFS.

I started off thinking that Hirst was barely a footballer.

It’s now clear that he is and we look far more threatening with him up front. He has been desperately unlucky in front of goal of late. Only some desperate defending and extremely good goalkeeping has kept him out.

Whether or not he ends up being a prolific goal scorer, only time will tell. Even if he isn’t, his efforts are creating chances for others.

Walshie was never that prolific for us but Witts would doubtless have appreciated his efforts.

Interesting hearing the contrasting comments, from Wittingham, on the two players in question. I believe he seems to share the current popular view on both of them.

As for not being our player, he is for this season (as is Marquis).

RE: Different players - Hammie - 18-12-2021

The comments from Cowley about his conversation with the owners and the transfer window was interesting. If he could do a bit of wizardry, offload those who have failed and are expensive in exchange for one real goalscorer we could be a real threat for the play offs. Can't see us catching up the top two places this year really.

I’m not too bothered whether we go up this season or not: I’m enjoying my football again.

RE: Different players - exgaffer - 18-12-2021

(18-12-2021, 09:30 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: I’m not too bothered whether we go up this season or not: I’m enjoying my football again.

Me too Cunning.

Promotion would be nice of course.

RE: Different players - briefcase_wanchor - 19-12-2021

Neither are, or are ever likely to be, prolific strikers but we do look more threatening and cause more problems for the opposition midfield/defence when Hirst plays, especially when he's running from a deeper position or breaking away.

RE: Different players - mikey393 - 20-12-2021

Hirst is improving game by game. That's what a run in the team does. He's gaining in confidence which means more goals hopefully.

RE: Different players - slayer - 21-12-2021

Marquis suffers from billy big bollocks syndrome, plays for himself, but isn't able to cut the mustard in League 1.

Hirst is humble, plays for the team and is showing signs of being able to cut it at his level.

What many miss is that the Doncaster Marquis played at League 2 level https://www.efl.com/news/2017/april/efl-awards-doncaster-rovers-john-marquis-named-sky-bet-league-two-player-of-the-season/

RE: Cowley: Marquis and Hirst are "different players" - mikey393 - 21-12-2021

Hirst will have his dad David keeping him grounded.

If he ends up half as good as his Dad he'll become a good striker.