TrueBlueArmy Forums
Charlie Daniels - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Charlie Daniels (/showthread.php?tid=133)

Pages: 1 2

Charlie Daniels - BilltheCat - 19-01-2021

Anybody know anything about him?

He's 34 and being released by Shrewsbury, apparently. Played a lot for Boremuff.

RE: Charlie Daniels - bluetagagain - 19-01-2021

Other than 'The Devil went to Georgia' I never really liked his stuff

RE: Charlie Daniels - Pedalo_menders - 19-01-2021

Only that hes done very well for shrewsbury so Kenny must have thought hes still got it.

We have lots of younger players to do the running. I imagine he'll be used when we're winning and Kenny wants to shut up shop?

RE: Charlie Daniels - slayer - 19-01-2021

What is it about us going after Shrewsbury cast offs?

RE: Charlie Daniels - stayinupforever - 20-01-2021

Do we really need him?

RE: Charlie Daniels - Milton Mick - 20-01-2021

(19-01-2021, 10:57 PM)scumslayer Wrote: What is it about us going after Shrewsbury cast offs?

He was on a short term contract at Shrewsbury which has expired and is now a free agent with Pompey possibly lined up.

RE: Charlie Daniels - Wightblue - 20-01-2021

I have always preferred Jack to Charlie.

RE: Charlie Daniels - DeepBlue - 20-01-2021

(19-01-2021, 10:57 PM)scumslayer Wrote: What is it about us going after Shrewsbury cast offs?

FFS Scumslayer..he is hardly a Shrewsbury cast-off, he is a Bournemouth 'cast-off' with well over a hundred recent premier appearances behind him.  He immediately becomes the most experienced player at the club and could be a vital influence in the dressing room in the final push to get us over the line.

RE: Charlie Daniels - mikey393 - 20-01-2021

Agreed Deep. Played mainly at FB but flexible across the back line.

Scores the odd goal as well.

RE: Charlie Daniels - slayer - 20-01-2021

Stormy Daniels always went two up top

RE: Charlie Daniels - Wightblue - 21-01-2021

Does anybody know why Shrewsbury didn’t offer him an extension to his short contract with them ? Most of their fans seem to rate him but his age is mentioned frequently.

If he comes on a deal to the end of the season then fine, useful backup to Browne but if he is looking for a two or three year deal (which I suspect he might be) then it must be a problem (especially if we get promoted).

I don’t see a 34 year old offering that much more over a three year contract than a series of Premiership season-long loans wouldn’t do just as well (and maybe better as Daniels ages); Who knows, we may even develop a left back from the our own Academy (didn’t Haunstrupp come that route ?)

RE: Charlie Daniels - Cunninglinguist - 21-01-2021

I doubt very much that he will expect a three year contract.

RE: Charlie Daniels - bluetagagain - 21-01-2021

I also doubt Bournemouth will want to loan him for 3 years. Shrewsbury couldn't offer him a deal as he was only on loan until January,just like we did with Thompson/Green etc. IF he comes it'll only be a loan until end of season.

RE: Charlie Daniels - Tomsk - 21-01-2021

Was it Charlie Daniels who scored an absolute fecking (toned down for Rocketman) screamer fir Bournemouth a couple of seasons back, may even have been goal of the season on MOTD(?)

RE: Charlie Daniels - BilltheCat - 21-01-2021

(21-01-2021, 05:41 PM)Tomsk Wrote: Was it Charlie Daniels who scored an absolute fecking (toned down for Rocketman) screamer fir Bournemouth a couple of seasons back,  may even have been goal of the season on MOTD(?)

This one?

FROM ALL ANGLES | Charlie Daniels' stunner against Man City ? - YouTube

RE: Charlie Daniels - Tomsk - 21-01-2021

That's the fecker yes, lovely!!!

RE: Charlie Daniels - TheSyrup - 22-01-2021

Not even Whoopi Goldberg would have saved that...
Great goal

RE: Charlie Daniels - mikey393 - 22-01-2021

Brilliant goal, excellent cover!

RE: Charlie Daniels - Who_Am_I? - 23-01-2021

Now signed until end of the season

PuP

RE: Charlie Daniels - hilsea12 - 23-01-2021

Excellent cover for Brown.

RE: Charlie Daniels - slayer - 27-01-2021

Based on that corner alone with his first touch, Brown has his work cut out getting into the side now.

RE: Charlie Daniels - Cleaver Greene - 27-01-2021

(21-01-2021, 11:42 AM)Wightblue Wrote: Does anybody know why Shrewsbury didn’t offer him an extension to his short contract with them ? Most of their fans seem to rate him but his age is mentioned frequently.

If he comes on a deal to the end of the season then fine, useful backup to Browne but if he is looking for a two or three year deal (which I suspect he might be) then it must be a problem (especially if we get promoted).

I don’t see a 34 year old offering that much more over a three year contract than a series of Premiership season-long loans wouldn’t do just as well (and maybe better as Daniels ages); Who knows, we may even develop a left back from the our own Academy (didn’t Haunstrupp come that route ?)

Remember when we signed some old stagers...What were their names now.
Oh yes, Steve Stone, Paul Merson, Kanu. 
How did that turn out?
While we are at it, lets sign Marc Pugh and Simon Francis. We could nearly have the whole back four of Bournemouth's PL side then. Tongue

RE: Charlie Daniels - mikey393 - 27-01-2021

Nothing like Experience in the lower divisions.

RE: Charlie Daniels - Pedalo_menders - 28-01-2021

Prosinecki wasnt exactly a spring chicken when he arrived. He was incredible to watch and could probably still do a job for us at this level  Big Grin

RE: Charlie Daniels - Wightblue - 28-01-2021

Dead right Cleaver, Kanu and Stone were great for us, Merton exceptional !

Just a correction though, Kanu was born in 1st August 1976 and when he signed for Pompey in 2006 he was therefore only 30.

Similarly Steve Stone was was born 20th August 1971 and was just 31 when he signed in 2002.

Merson was born on 20th March 1968 and was 34 when he signed in 2002.

If Daniels can show the same ability and vision as Merson, he will be fantastic for us, his corner against Lincoln late on was a beauty....and sadly wasted by the Pompey players in and around the box

Wouldnt e surprised to see him start against Charlton