TrueBlueArmy Forums
Topps Sale - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Topps Sale (/showthread.php?tid=1359)

Pages: 1 2

Topps Sale - Pedalo_menders - 05-01-2022

Looks like the Eisiners have had to take a haircut on this one. After losing their most profitable license (Major league Baseball), arguably because they had not invested in the company to move it forwards, they have sold if for about a quarter of what was touted last year.

They purchased it for 385M 15 years ago. So that profit works out at less than 2% per year. And that's without taking inflation into account, plus the sales fees & taxes associated with the transaction.

Oh dear. If they had stuck that money in the S&P 500 and sat on their arse this whole time, they would have made 8% per annum more!

RE: Topps Sale - Wightblue - 05-01-2022

Maybe 5 gets you 10 that his involvement with Pompey goes the same way.

RE: Topps Sale - slayer - 05-01-2022

Great summary Pedalo, this is consistent with the Anaheim sale and I am sure Pompey will go thr same way eventually. Puts further meat on the Catlin rumours from late last year too doesn't it

RE: Topps Sale - Bluebob - 05-01-2022

(05-01-2022, 05:30 PM)scumslayer Wrote: Great summary Pedalo, this is consistent with the Anaheim sale and I am sure Pompey will go thr same way eventually. Puts further meat on the Catlin rumours from late last year too doesn't it

Care to share what rumours they are.

RE: Topps Sale - Wightblue - 05-01-2022

Possibly Eisner doesn’t have the Midas touch after all !

His involvement, via Disney, in The Ducks and The Angels cost the Disney shareholders a bucket of dollars - a bucket capable of holding $200 million ($300-400 million at current rates), didn’t The Ducks go on to win The Stanley Cup a couple of years after his dead-hand was taken off the tiller.

Topps continues the theme, where will Pompey figure ?

RE: Topps Sale - mikey393 - 05-01-2022

It doesn't bode too well does it?

The business sounded so outdated with the move to Online.

Should have sold it when it was still profitable.

Hopefully, he has learned a lesson & doesn't do the same with Pompey.

It's all about Risk & Reward so will need to speculate with team investment to get into the Championship.

RE: Topps Sale - Rescue Dog - 05-01-2022

I really want to post more 'stuff' in the footie section but Eisner's Pompey is really uninspiring.

It's reminding me of the Gregory era..... Sad

RE: Topps Sale - Pedalo_menders - 05-01-2022

If you're not going to invest in having the best product, you absolutely have to invest in the relationship instead. Ideally both.

RE: Topps Sale - Rocketman - 06-01-2022

(05-01-2022, 11:22 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: If you're not going to invest in having the best product, you absolutely have to invest in the relationship instead. Ideally both.
Indeed. He's invested in the infrastructure after decades of neglect. He's invested to a certain extend in players - not his fault if much of that player investment has been wasted eg Marquis. But we are debt-free unlike most clubs. Would be a help if he or Eric communicated with the fans more often - doesn't cost much but would go down well.

RE: Topps Sale - briefcase_wanchor - 06-01-2022

(06-01-2022, 12:45 AM)Rocketman Wrote:
(05-01-2022, 11:22 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: If you're not going to invest in having the best product, you absolutely have to invest in the relationship instead. Ideally both.
Indeed. He's invested in the infrastructure after decades of neglect. He's invested to a certain extend in players - not his fault if much of that player investment has been wasted eg Marquis. But we are debt-free unlike most clubs. Would be a help if he or Eric communicated with the fans more often - doesn't cost much but would go down well.

Fair point about communication.  IIRC, when there were mutterings of discontent a while back he said he needs to communicate more.  If anything it's got less.

RE: Topps Sale - Jizbag - 06-01-2022

We have a very rich owner who has absolutely no interest in football. Not only that he's content to let us stay in the same division year after year. He's improving the infrastructure to increase the value of his asset. What he doesn't seem to realise is that by remaining in this division the value of the club will always be limited. Actually he must realise that. I just think he doesn't move with the times, and clearly doesn't give a flying one about the progress of the club. It's just a monetary asset.

RE: Topps Sale - Rescue Dog - 06-01-2022

His investment in the infrastructure seems to be just above the bare minimum needed to keep the ground open. 

He is taking us from a capacity of just over 20,000 to......a capacity of just over 20,000. Sad

I am completely underwhelmed.

He bought a debt free club VERY cheaply. 

We had a solid playing squad with saleable assets, healthy attendances and an optimistic fan base.

I am really struggling to see what the Eisners 'bring to the table'. 

It seems the only 'thing' Eisner is doing is protecting his 'investment' by patching the ground up a little.

RE: Topps Sale - DeepBlue - 06-01-2022

10 million quid with at least the same to come again is more that just 'patching up the ground a little'.  It has kept the club a going concern, without it capacity would be about 10,000 now.  And more to the point it is exactly what they promised they would do when people voted to sell to them.

RE: Topps Sale - exgaffer - 06-01-2022

In what universe is 500 million a ‘haircut’ ffs?

I sometimes think you lot live in some kind of la la land  Smile .

If that’s a haircut, trim me right up ffs  Big Grin .

RE: Topps Sale - Rick Pumpkin - 06-01-2022

(06-01-2022, 11:08 AM)exgaffer Wrote: In what universe is 500 million a ‘haircut’ ffs?

Probably when the value of a business practically halves in a short period of time I'd imagine.

Guff, not sure what you do for a living but probably best steering clear of subjects you've absolutely zero understanding of as it might make you out to be a real tosser.  But then hang on a minute...  Big Grin (passive aggressive smiley for the benefit of the guffer).

RE: Topps Sale - Roybatty - 06-01-2022

500 million! Might get a few more loans in this month now

(06-01-2022, 10:28 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: 10 million quid with at least the same to come again is more that just 'patching up the ground a little'.  It has kept the club a going concern, without it capacity would be about 10,000 now.  And more to the point it is exactly what they promised they would do when people voted to sell to them.

I am a little sceptical that £10 million has been spent. Not saying it has not but we only have Eisner's word for it. 

I certainly cannot spot any significant changes. Can you?

Regardless, I don't think Eisner is a very good owner although I doubt we will go bankrupt under him.....just years and years and years of League 1 dross ahead................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I don't recall this as part of the 'promise'.

RE: Topps Sale - dsmg - 06-01-2022

Roko must have cost a bit.

RE: Topps Sale - ForeverPompey - 06-01-2022

(05-01-2022, 09:05 PM)mikey393 Wrote: It doesn't bode too well does it?

The business sounded so outdated with the move to Online.

Should have sold it when it was still profitable.

Hopefully, he has learned a lesson & doesn't do the same with Pompey.

It's all about Risk & Reward so will need to speculate with team investment to get into the Championship.

It's so long since Pompey played at Fratton I'm beginning to think we have already moved online.

RE: Topps Sale - briefcase_wanchor - 06-01-2022

Genuinely asking - which other clubs in Divs 1 and 2 have the financial clout of our owners?

RE: Topps Sale - stayinupforever - 06-01-2022

(05-01-2022, 05:38 PM)Bluebob Wrote:
(05-01-2022, 05:30 PM)scumslayer Wrote: Great summary Pedalo, this is consistent with the Anaheim sale and I am sure Pompey will go thr same way eventually. Puts further meat on the Catlin rumours from late last year too doesn't it

Care to share what rumours they are.
I think the rumours were around Catlin resigning from his role.

RE: Topps Sale - exgaffer - 06-01-2022

(06-01-2022, 11:13 AM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote:
(06-01-2022, 11:08 AM)exgaffer Wrote: In what universe is 500 million a ‘haircut’ ffs?

Probably when the value of a business practically halves in a short period of time I'd imagine.

Guff, not sure what you do for a living but probably best steering clear of subjects you've absolutely zero understanding of as it might make you out to be a real tosser.  But then hang on a minute...  Big Grin (passive aggressive smiley for the benefit of the guffer).

Well you sound like a right twat Pumpkin, I must admit I’d gathered that impression but you have just confirmed it  Big Grin .

So you are a wizard of international finance then? I’m sure you have a real grasp of the markets and a crystal ball and never make a loss on any of your investments. Faf

As you’re so fucking switched on, and obviously fabulously wealthy, perhaps you could contribute towards a couple of players in the window    Smile . 

Also, you could start up a regular post with investment tips for us peasants, I’ll be eagerly awaiting the first instalment.

RE: Topps Sale - DeepBlue - 06-01-2022

(06-01-2022, 11:32 AM)Rescue Dog Wrote:
(06-01-2022, 10:28 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: 10 million quid with at least the same to come again is more that just 'patching up the ground a little'.  It has kept the club a going concern, without it capacity would be about 10,000 now.  And more to the point it is exactly what they promised they would do when people voted to sell to them.

I am a little sceptical that £10 million has been spent. Not saying it has not but we only have Eisner's word for it. 

Regardless, I don't think Eisner is a very good owner although I doubt we will go bankrupt under him.....just years and years and years of League 1 dross ahead................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I don't recall this as part of the 'promise'.

The 10m was in the accounts ... Catlin has detailed how it was spent.  Why distrust that information ?  The most significant change is that the ground is open when it would otherwise have large sections closed by now. And of course the training ground.  

And making sure we don't go bankrupt makes him the best owner we've had for many a year. Not sure we can really blame the Eisners for just missing out on promotion, even with a bigger budget there would be no guarantee of success -  we might just have ended up with two or three Marquis's.  All they can do is appoint decent managers and Jackett's record in this division made him a good appointment on paper, and he came very close but maybe he should have been ditched earlier (i.e after the Oxford penalties defeat) but Covid made that a very short summer window for change like that.  And I like the appointment of the Cowleys, their attention to detail and man management is good and I'm sure they will succeed after a couple more windows to clear out the dross.  Not at all sure they could have appointed anyone better - there are no guarantees whoever you choose. We have no divine right to promotion and it's a tough league to get out of.

(06-01-2022, 12:05 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(06-01-2022, 11:32 AM)Rescue Dog Wrote:

The 10m was in the accounts ... Catlin has detailed how it was spent.  Why distrust that information ?  The most significant change is that the ground is open when it would otherwise have large sections closed by now. And of course the training ground.  

And making sure we don't go bankrupt makes him the best owner we've had for many a year. Not sure we can really blame the Eisners for just missing out on promotion, even with a bigger budget there would be no guarantee of success -  we might just have ended up with two or three Marquis's.  All they can do is appoint decent managers and Jackett's record in this division made him a good appointment on paper, and he came very close but maybe he should have been ditched earlier (i.e after the Oxford penalties defeat) but Covid made that a very short summer window for change like that.  And I like the appointment of the Cowleys, their attention to detail and man management is good and I'm sure they will succeed after a couple more windows to clear out the dross.  Not at all sure they could have appointed anyone better - there are no guarantees whoever you choose. We have no divine right to promotion and it's a tough league to get out of.
"The 10m was in the accounts", that means £10million has been officially declared. I have not read Caitlin's account but what has this amount been spent on? I was a builder for 20 years and I could do a lot to Fratton for £10 million, certainly you would actually see something tangible. Maybe this money has been spent but on what?

We were never going bankrupt under fan ownership, we may have struggled to stay in the Championship or languished in League 1 but that's what we're doing now. 

Fair points regarding mis-spent money from Jacket and that Jacket was a good appointment at the time (he did come close) and that this is not Eisener's fault.

I see the Cowleys as a cheap option but I do like their attitude and, like all of us, hope they do well..

However, genuine progress regarding the training ground.

I hope you are right and I am wrong but whatever way you look at it Pompey are certainly not thriving under the Eisners and I am not impressed or excited by them.

Really want to be wrong on this.....

RE: Topps Sale - Pedalo_menders - 06-01-2022

Gaffer. If you own a house, I would theoretically be very happy to pay you what you bought it for +1.9% per year you owned it.

Who do you think would be getting the better deal?