TrueBlueArmy Forums
Papa Johns Quarter Final draw - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Papa Johns Quarter Final draw (/showthread.php?tid=1361)

Papa Johns Quarter Final draw - Wightblue - 06-01-2022

Switched on Talk Sport just as draw was made

If Pompey beat Exeter on Friday and then Cambridge (at their place ?) we will be away to Rotherham in the Quarter Finals.

RE: Papa Johns Quarter Final draw - ForeverPompey - 06-01-2022

That's a little tricky!!

RE: Papa Johns Quarter Final draw - DeepBlue - 06-01-2022

(06-01-2022, 11:31 AM)Wightblue Wrote: Switched on Talk Sport just as draw was made

If Pompey beat Exeter on Friday and then Cambridge (at their place ?) we will be away to Rotherham in the Quarter Finals.

If we are not playing the fringe players and youngsters I can see no point in staying in this competition. If we play the first team it will just add to fatigue and injuries and we have a lot of games to play still in a short time. 

Won't be at all disappointed if we go out either at Exeter or Cambridge.

RE: Papa Johns Quarter Final draw - slayer - 06-01-2022

Couldn't give less of a toss about this competition

RE: Papa Johns Quarter Final draw - bluebollox - 06-01-2022

(06-01-2022, 12:09 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(06-01-2022, 11:31 AM)Wightblue Wrote: Switched on Talk Sport just as draw was made

If we are not playing the fringe players and youngsters I can see no point in staying in this competition. If we play the first team it will just add to fatigue and injuries and we have a lot of games to play still in a short time. 

Won't be at all disappointed if we go out either at Exeter or Cambridge.

I think it would be worth using the 1st 11 v Exeter to get the rustiness out their system. But beyond that couldn't agree more.

RE: Papa Johns Quarter Final draw - mikey393 - 07-01-2022

As I've already stated on Cambridge Lowlights thread this is a Great Opportunity to play our strongest team. It can also give players coming back from injury a chance to get match fit before the MK Dons match at FP on the 15/1. Call it a confidence booster but after the Cambridge game we really need sharpening up all round.

RE: Papa Johns Quarter Final draw - bluetagagain - 07-01-2022

It should be treated as no more than an exercise in getting or keeping our players fit. A nothing trophy, it’s the league or nothing IMO.

RE: Papa Johns Quarter Final draw - Pedalo_menders - 07-01-2022

Agreed. Its ages til our next league game too so I would treat it almost as a pre-season mkII.

Exeter should be bang up for it given what happened last year. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they won.

RE: Papa Johns Quarter Final draw - mikey393 - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 05:54 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Agreed. Its ages til our next league game too so I would treat it almost as a pre-season mkII.

Exeter should be bang up for it given what happened last year. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they won.

Positive attitude needed tonight. This competition may mean nothing but the game could be pivotal for our season.

RE: Papa Johns Quarter Final draw - suffolkpompey - 08-01-2022

Hands up all those who are calling this a nothing trophy were at Wembley a couple of years ago.

RE: Papa Johns Quarter Final draw - exgaffer - 08-01-2022

(08-01-2022, 02:58 PM)suffolkpompey Wrote: Hands up all those who are calling this a nothing trophy were at Wembley a couple of years ago.

Well it IS a nothing trophy but a day out at Wembley is not to be sniffed at  Smile .

RE: Papa Johns Quarter Final draw - PompeyDB - 08-01-2022

It's okay as a competition for the likes of us who get knowed out of the proper cups early on. It's just those stupid U23 teams that ruin it. No reason why we shouldn't enjoy it if they weren't there.

RE: Papa Johns Quarter Final draw - Wightblue - 08-01-2022

It’s not a particularly important trophy to win but, as we are likely to win bugger all else this season, it’s still something worth a shot….and winning football matches needs to become a habit. 

A day out at Wembley is the least that the fans deserve (especially the travelling fans who make their presence heard at every game).

For some/most on this Board, The PJ is seen as a distraction to the main ambition ie To get to, and win, The Playoffs, to me it’s an opportunity to generate more income (isn’t that what EWWK demands ?) and give fringe players some game time.

I haven’t been at either Final as I am always in California when it’s played and I don’t view it important enough for me to make an 11,000 miles round trip just to attend it (another FACup Final would have me scurrying back PDQ of course).

RE: Papa Johns Quarter Final draw - Gerry Hatrick - 08-01-2022

Once the whistle goes for kick off, for me it doesn't what league or cup we are in. I really don't care. It's about Pompey - the players, the fans and the game. Last night had it all and it was a privilege to witness another memorable night under the floodlights. That's what it's all about and if that wasn't good enough for you, you need to renew your Netflix subscriptions.

RE: Papa Johns Quarter Final draw - Wightblue - 08-01-2022

Pompey DB

Agree about the nonsense of Premiership U21s being included, the logical conclusion will be when, say, Arsenal U21s play Chelsea U21s at Wembley - a guaranteed atmospheric sell out !

That’s irony by the way (some of you seem to struggle with it).

The Premiership have everything their own way !

If it was decided that The PJs needed expanding then better to bring in the teams of National League One.