TrueBlueArmy Forums
Goalkeeper cover - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Goalkeeper cover (/showthread.php?tid=137)

Goalkeeper cover - Wightblue - 21-01-2021

I was alarmed when I saw that Turnbull was our substitute goalkeeper for the Wimbledon match, his recent performance in The Papa John’s at Posh didn’t suggest he is anywhere near ready for L1.

I think an injury to McG against Wimbledon would have given our defence a torrid time, defending is one thing but throw in a real rookie of a goalkeeper and things get difficult.

There are some positions in the team that still don’t have really adequate cover but the injury to Bass has highlighted that in a case where McG is injured during a game and Bass is not on the bench we might have a serious issue.

I hope that Bass is on the bench for Hull !

RE: Goalkeeper cover - Pedalo_menders - 21-01-2021

I think Bass was going to be out for 4-6 weeks from the time of injury (but I may be making that up). So hes probably another 2-4 weeks away.

Edit: The news said upto 4 weeks out, last week. So maybe aniher 3 weeks before he is available.

www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/portsmouth-boss-mulls-over-goalkeeper-replacements-after-suffering-alex-bass-blow-3094116

RE: Goalkeeper cover - DeepBlue - 21-01-2021

(21-01-2021, 12:01 PM)Wightblue Wrote: I was alarmed when I saw that Turnbull was our substitute goalkeeper for the Wimbledon match, his recent performance in The Papa John’s at Posh didn’t suggest he is anywhere near ready for L1.

I think an injury to McG against Wimbledon would have given our defence a torrid time, defending is one thing but throw in a real rookie of a goalkeeper and things get difficult.

There are some positions in the team that still don’t have really adequate cover but the injury to Bass has highlighted that in a case where McG is injured during a game and Bass is not on the bench we might have a serious issue.

I hope that Bass is on the bench for Hull !

I wouldn't judge Turnbull on how he looked behind a weak defence and a youth team midfield against a team like Peterborough.  Judge him on how he does behind the first team defence if and when he gets a chance. 

To sign more cover when we've already got 4 keepers and only one injured for a few weeks seems unnecessary. If McGillivray got injured then that would be different.

RE: Goalkeeper cover - bluetagagain - 21-01-2021

KJ is saying that he wants to to assess the situation in 10 days time as Bass is regaining fitness quicker than they thought,however, he doesn't want the GK position short on experience if Bass isn't ready. Not sure of the situation regarding emergency loans?

RE: Goalkeeper cover - Isaac Hunt - 21-01-2021

I didn't see the game but was Turnbull so awful during his 45 minutes.

RE: Goalkeeper cover - Wightblue - 21-01-2021

According to Jackett today, Bass won’t play again until February !

RE: Goalkeeper cover - exterminator - 21-01-2021

(21-01-2021, 04:19 PM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: I didn't see the game but was Turnbull so awful during his 45 minutes.

(21-01-2021, 06:48 PM)Wightblue Wrote: According to Jackett today, Bass won’t play again until February !

That is only just over a week away - best get The Legend out if his,wheelchair andcm signed up onxa months contract   Big Grin

RE: Goalkeeper cover - Wightblue - 22-01-2021

Yes it’s only a week but it’s a week that sees us play three of our promotion rivals -Hull, Lincoln and Charlton

No reason why we can’t get 7 maybe all 9 points.......but we will have to be at our very best and, hope it doesn’t happen, having to play a really inexperienced rooky keeper (in terms of L1) doesn’t suggest that we are likely to be at our best.
Maybe it was just rotation but Turnbull was subbed of in the second half against Posh.

If I had to choose a position in the Pompey team wherein an Academy kid had to play the next three games it most certainly wouldn’t be goalkeeper, in fact it’s the last place I would nominate.

I hope McG stays fit till the end of the season.

RE: Goalkeeper cover - Isaac Hunt - 22-01-2021

Knightsie was a rookie and didn't do too badly.

I ask again ,was Turnbull bad ?

RE: Goalkeeper cover - DeepBlue - 22-01-2021

(22-01-2021, 12:35 PM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: Knightsie was a rookie and didn't do too badly.

I ask again ,was Turnbull bad ?

Could have done better with the first goal but let let down badly by the youngster who gave possession away 10 yards out. No chance with the second (v good free kick), not to blame for the 3rd because Downing let the bloke head it, and unlucky not the save the 4th (a point blank shot from 2 yards out).  

His substitution was a prearranged plan to give Seymour a run-out , not a comment on how he had been performing. 

Perfectly adequate bench reserve for 3 weeks IMO, it would be financial madness to get someone else in unless McG gets injured.

RE: Goalkeeper cover - Isaac Hunt - 22-01-2021

Thanks,much as I suspected

RE: Goalkeeper cover - Pedalo_menders - 22-01-2021

Yeh, with the defenders in front of him, it's not a true reflection of Turnbull's ability.

That being said, if we have the dosh and someone decent is available, why not splurge on a back up for 3 weeks, just to be safe?

RE: Goalkeeper cover - Isaac Hunt - 23-01-2021

We tried that with Ryan Allstop

RE: Goalkeeper cover - DeepBlue - 23-01-2021

(22-01-2021, 11:28 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Yeh, with the defenders in front of him, it's not a true reflection of Turnbull's ability.

That being said, if we have the dosh and someone decent is available, why not splurge on a back up for 3 weeks, just to be safe?

"if we have the dosh" ???!!!! 

Which bit of we are in the middle of a pandemic with no crowds and losing money hand over fist are you struggling with ?

RE: Goalkeeper cover - Pedalo_menders - 23-01-2021

(23-01-2021, 10:17 AM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(22-01-2021, 11:28 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Yeh, with the defenders in front of him, it's not a true reflection of Turnbull's ability.

"if we have the dosh" ???!!!! 

Which bit of we are in the middle of a pandemic with no crowds and losing money hand over fist are you struggling with ?

Calm down dear. Kenny has said he still has room in his budget. I dont think 30-50k is going to to send the Eisners into liquidation.

RE: Goalkeeper cover - bluetagagain - 23-01-2021

You don't need dosh for an emergency loan ( which applies to goalkeepers if clubs are down to their Youth team GK's)