TrueBlueArmy Forums
Team Today - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Team Today (/showthread.php?tid=1408)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Team Today - Pedalo_menders - 19-01-2022

This would be my starting XI and gets what I think is our best players on the pitch

__________Baz
Carter__Raggett__ Ogilvie
Romeo Thompson Morrell Jacobs
Walker Harness Curtis

RE: Team Today - dsmg - 19-01-2022

Fair enough Pedalo but Walker will have to improve a lot, he did virtually nothing the other day.

RE: Team Today - Bluebob - 19-01-2022

Blo@dy hell mate give the lad a chance he only joined up with the team at the hotel the night before. Hadn’t even trained with them. Give him at least half a dozen games before you slag him off.

RE: Team Today - Pedalo_menders - 19-01-2022

Cowley seems pretty excited to have him. Whoever comes in as a striker has a big challenge ahead, given how we are playing. Let's hope he can be that person who can link up with the midfielders and bang them in.

We shouldn't let our frustrations at Marquis, Harrison, Hirst & Curtis be projected onto the new boys.

RE: Team Today - dsmg - 19-01-2022

My point exactly, he was thrown in at the deep end so shouldn’t be considered in our ‘best’ 11.

RE: Team Today - Pompey_in_Derby - 19-01-2022

Preferred visiting the Old Plough Lane when you could turn up on the day and we'd take thousands!  New ground is a poor version of Burton Albion's and would benefit from some terracing, free parking and some local pubs!

Felt the game encapsulated where we are right now. A genuine promotion contender would have found a way to get a late winner, whereas a relegation threatened team would have contrived to lose. Currently, Pompey and AFCW are neither. However, if the new players gel, confidence returns and we manage to pick up one or two more decent players then we could make a late push for the play-offs...... we were the more threatening side in the second half and with a bit of luck could have grabbed the winning goal.

Let's see how we get on in what could be a big six pointer at Sunderland!

RE: Team Today - DeepBlue - 20-01-2022

(19-01-2022, 09:37 PM)dsmg Wrote: Fair enough Pedalo but Walker will have to improve a lot, he did virtually nothing the other day.

Have a look at the youtube compliation of his goals that Hull put together when they thought they were signing him. 
I know such compilations are misleading but he scores some crackers in it, and more importantly his movement and anticipation in the box looks very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VZYfcpD8X8 

RE: Team Today - bluetagagain - 20-01-2022

Give the lad a break FFS , typical Pompey fan wanting instant success, the only people he knew were the Cowleys, it was risk to put him in. Personally I think the team will be
Baz
Carter Raggs Ogilvie
Romeo Morrell ( anyone from 3), new LWB
Harness Walker New Striker

Or else DC will play 442 especially as he like 2 up front

RE: Team Today - DeepBlue - 20-01-2022

(20-01-2022, 10:54 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: Give the lad a break FFS , typical Pompey fan wanting instant success, the only people he knew were the Cowleys, it was risk to put him in. Personally I think the team will be
Baz
Carter Raggs Ogilvie
Romeo Morrell ( anyone from 3), new LWB
Harness Walker New Striker

Or else DC will play 442 especially as he like 2 up front

Rumour in the Sunderland press that we are after left back Denver Hume, who is currently squeezed out of the first team up there.  Has always looked OK against us but don't know if he can play wing back or not.

RE: Team Today - bluetagagain - 20-01-2022

Read that yesterday DB, I think he can but I don’t know too much about him other than an injury has hampered his progress

RE: Team Today - Rocketman - 20-01-2022

(20-01-2022, 10:06 AM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(19-01-2022, 09:37 PM)dsmg Wrote: Fair enough Pedalo but Walker will have to improve a lot, he did virtually nothing the other day.

Have a look at the youtube compliation of his goals that Hull put together when they thought they were signing him. 
I know such compilations are misleading but he scores some crackers in it, and more importantly his movement and anticipation in the box looks very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VZYfcpD8X8 
Some good goals and some spectacular goals there, and he can take a decent penalty too.  I looked closely at all those goals, and frankly can anyone see Marquis scoring any of them?  I take back what I said at HT in the last game. He improved 2nd half as as others have pointed out, he had no training with the team so not surprising his movement wasn't great, but give him a few weeks.....

RE: Team Today - blueandwight - 23-01-2022

(19-01-2022, 04:12 PM)blueandwight Wrote: Team selection shouldn't be too much of challenge on Saturday providing we go up there in a positive frame of mind and 'go for it'.
Hackett is injured, which could prove to be a bit of a bonus, and Thompson shouldn't really be starting games and should be on the bench.
Start the game with our best players going forward in Harness, Curtis and Jacobs with Harness and Curtis in behind Hirst or Walker. It might be time to go for a conventional back four (Romeo, Carter, Raggett and Ogilvie) giving you a three in the middle of the park of Morrell, Jacobs and possibly Williams.
Simples.

For what it is worth I posted this relatively simple observation last week. I'm not seeking any praise, I just wish that the Cowleys could see what is blindingly b----- obvious to most of us!
To me and, it would seem, numerous other Pompey fans it just seems like common sense.
Unfortunately Ogilvie has got a broken nose and Hackett (not worth a place in the side in any position) passed a fitness test but the Cowleys still persist with three at the back and no place for Jacobs! If the Eisners knew anything about football (which they don't) they must have been delighted!
Absolute madness, no more theoretical nonsense based around possession stats and similar. It's a case of your best eleven in a balanced and sensible formation and increased positivity. Next Monday should look like something like this.

Bazuma
                                    Romeo               Carter                        Raggett             Ogilvie
                                                                    Thompson or Williams
                                                             Morrell                           Jacobs
                                               Harness                                                     Curtis
                                                                                 Walker

It's hardly rocket science. Of course things can happen over a period of eight such as injuries/illness or (unbelievably) we might sign a half decent striker but as things stand at the moment this looks to be the best option. Surely isn't it?

RE: Team Today - bluetagagain - 23-01-2022

352 would be better, give us more control in midfield . It will work as long as the two ‘wide’/ wing back players can cross a ball

RE: Team Today - dsmg - 23-01-2022

Bluetag, that's tricky then as yesterday just showed we're almost incapable of putting in a decent cross (or corner). Jacobs put in a good one in the 90th minute but Hirst headed over from four yards. Shame.