TrueBlueArmy Forums
Anymore ins and outs? - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Anymore ins and outs? (/showthread.php?tid=1446)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Anymore ins and outs? - bluetagagain - 27-01-2022

Somehow I don’t think DC is finished in this TW. I believe we need another striker preferably a permanent signing and an experienced one at that, also another midfielder again someone experienced. I also think that if a decent offer for Brown comes in , he could move on, especially as we’ve got Ogilvie and now Hume.

RE: Anymore ins and outs? - Cunninglinguist - 27-01-2022

I like Brown but I think it’s time he moved on. He could do a good job for someone.

I wouldn’t object to Curtis moving on either. Unless he played like he did when he was captain.

RE: Anymore ins and outs? - ForeverPompey - 27-01-2022

He told us it would be an exciting TW so I’m still hoping for something exciting to happen. Sounds like Brown might be on his way to Wombles. Striker and creative midfielder absolutely crucial and, as you say, permanent signing long overdue as we have no permanent strikers on our books. With Tunnicliffe another sick note who needs to be paid off we have only Jacobs with any creativity and he’s overlooked by DC far too often.

RE: Anymore ins and outs? - Kingo - 27-01-2022

(27-01-2022, 12:08 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: I like Brown but I think it’s time he moved on. He could do a good job for someone.

I wouldn’t object to Curtis moving on either. Unless he played like he did when he was captain.

So we needed to get Hume because he's a better attacking option than the bloke who for a while was our leading scorer from left back.

RE: Anymore ins and outs? - DeepBlue - 27-01-2022

(27-01-2022, 12:13 PM)Kingo Wrote:
(27-01-2022, 12:08 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: I like Brown but I think it’s time he moved on. He could do a good job for someone.

So we needed to get Hume because he's a better attacking option than the bloke who for a while was our leading scorer from left back.

Don't think Brown has ever scored while playing as a wing back ... the position just does not suit him.  He can be good as overlapping full back but he is not getting any younger.  Hume is a proper wing-back and we were crying out for one of them.

Lee is 32 this year. A good defender but not one that’s still capable of getting up and down the pitch. He is a leader and we need other personalities like him.

RE: Anymore ins and outs? - Rick Pumpkin - 27-01-2022

(27-01-2022, 11:59 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: Somehow I don’t think DC is finished in this TW. I believe we need another striker preferably a permanent signing and an experienced one at that, also another midfielder again someone experienced. I also think that if a decent offer for Brown comes in , he could move on, especially as we’ve got Ogilvie and now Hume.

Unless my mind is playing up didn't we sign another left back in the summer?  It's probably age and I'm actually thinking of John Beresford, but I did think we signed two.

RE: Anymore ins and outs? - Pedalo_menders - 27-01-2022

Kenny actually got us a couple of very good ones in Pring and Seddon. Both were top notch imo. Not sure who you're thinking of though Rick

RE: Anymore ins and outs? - bluetagagain - 27-01-2022

Ogilvie was originally signed as a left back along with Jamie Vincent

RE: Anymore ins and outs? - Rick Pumpkin - 27-01-2022

Cheers Peds & BT - I was thinking of Liam Vincent although I'm starting to think he falls into the Ali al-Faraj mould and doesn't really exist.

Looks like Brown is off to the Wombles, he's having a medical. This makes good financial sense as he only has about 6 mths remaining on his contract and I'm sure he would leave on a free in the summer. Lets hope we spend wisely.

RE: Anymore ins and outs? - Jizbag - 27-01-2022

(27-01-2022, 01:25 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Kenny actually got us a couple of very good ones in Pring and Seddon. Both were top notch imo. Not sure who you're thinking of though Rick

I liked Pring, shame we couldn't sign him. Probably far too expensive.

RE: Anymore ins and outs? - slayer - 27-01-2022

(27-01-2022, 01:25 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: Ogilvie was originally signed as a left back along with Jamie Vincent

I'd be very surprised if we played him

Wrong Vincent, Tag.

RE: Anymore ins and outs? - Pompeyloyal - 27-01-2022

(27-01-2022, 07:14 PM)scumslayer Wrote:
(27-01-2022, 01:25 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: Ogilvie was originally signed as a left back along with Jamie Vincent

I'd be very surprised if we played him

Surely we still need Brown til the end of the season - lots of games coming thick’n’fast now

In addition to keeping Brown we need someone in for Tunnicliffe,an attacking midfielder & another striker unless of course Tornante are content with stayin in league 1 for yet another season at the very least ?

We hopefully won’t. Plenty of cover there, that’s one of the reasons he might be going.

(27-01-2022, 07:24 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: We hopefully won’t. Plenty of cover there, that’s one of the reasons he might be going.

Not if Robertson or indeed Carter or Raggett get injured - doesn’t Hume himself have a bad injury record/history too

Reeco isn’t good enough at present to play that roll either imho ??‍♂️

Ogilvie can play CH or left back.

Agree 100% with that but - an injury to any of the back 3 & to Hume leaves us stretched (not at all sure about Freeman) - which like I say is fine if Tornante just want to exist in this poxy division ??‍♂️

(27-01-2022, 07:43 PM)Pompeyloyal Wrote: Agree 100% with that but - an injury to any of the back 3 & to Hume leaves us stretched (not at all sure about Freeman)  - which like I say is fine if Tornante just want to exist in this poxy division ??‍♂️

If Brown goes we will still have 9 defenders 

Romeo, Freeman, Carter, Raggett, Robertson, Ogilvie, Hume, Vincent

plus Williams also able to do a shift at centre back if needed. 

Not sure I would describe that as 'stretched' ?

Just seen that Smirns - doh

(27-01-2022, 07:48 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(27-01-2022, 07:43 PM)Pompeyloyal Wrote: Agree 100% with that but - an injury to any of the back 3 & to Hume leaves us stretched (not at all sure about Freeman)  - which like I say is fine if Tornante just want to exist in this poxy division ??‍♂️

If Brown goes we will still have 9 defenders 

Romeo, Freeman, Carter, Raggett, Robertson, Ogilvie, Hume, Vincent

plus Williams also able to do a shift at centre back if needed. 

Not sure I would describe that as 'stretched' ?

I think we can safely discount Vincent ? - unless we sign another central midfielder we will need Williams definitely in the engine room 

If Brown stayed he’d get used at some stage 100% - as it stands mid-table is about right - injuries & suspensions will definitely kick in between now & the end of the season 

Let’s see how we are when the T/W shuts innit 

PUP

Welcome back Pompeyloyal

Sorry Loyal, but I just can't see why getting  a new left back in and letting an old one go suddenly leaves us stretched, especially when the new one also can solve the problematic left wing back role. 

Even without using Vincent or Williams we have two players for every position across the back four, two right backs, four centre backs and two left backs - admittedly using Ogilvie in both the last two positions.  That seems OK to me, certainly not 'stretched'.  In fact one of Cowley's biggest problem is going to be keeping all four centre backs happy because I expect Carter, Raggett, Robertson & Ogilvie will all reckon they are deserving of a first team place .

RE: Anymore ins and outs? - blueandwight - 28-01-2022

There's some misguided observations on this thread tonight.

Time Brown moved on some say. In normal times pre Covid and pre Eisners it's probably a vald point.

However, can we be sure that under the present restrictions of 'austerity and sustainability' we have brought in someone who is better and that there's adequate cover? I accept that Brown is 31 or 32 years of age but he has a reasonable left foot, to a degree he is a consistent performer and in the time he has been at Fratton he's missed very few games due to injury. A good honest pro...old school.

The replacement was unfortunately not rated up on Wearside, his recent injury record has been awful, his loyalty came into question in protracted contract negotiations last summer and nowadays (at this lowly level) £200,000 is a big investment; so we have to hope that DC has got this one right. in some ways he has virtually no choice, he has to gamble and that didn't work out so well with Robertson,Tunnicliffe and others, did it?. In terms of cover as a left wing-back we've got Hackett (a resounding 'no'), young Vincent (who?), poor Jayden Reid (remember him?) and Ogilvy who is more on a conventional left-back and, in any case, invaluble to us a central defender. If DC's strategic philosphy hinges on wing-backs and one is an unknown quantity and the other will almost certaibly return to Millwall in a few months time then there are reasons to be concerned.

So, moving on, for all those jumping about saying let's get rid of Curtis...think again. DC must be the only person who thinks he's an out and out striker but when you're desperate I suppose you have to try everything. We need to be playing to our strengths (such as they are) and I'm afraid that 3-5-2 with wing-backs and trying to play out from the back is simply not working when you offer no flair in the middle of the park and  a have no threat upfront. With the present squad you are setting yourself up for just three possible results; a 1-0 win, a 1-0 defeat or 0-0...at best.

The number of loan players who are an automatic choice as a starter for every league game is also quite frightening.

Happy days!