TrueBlueArmy Forums
team formation (again) - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: team formation (again) (/showthread.php?tid=1451)

team formation (again) - Hammie - 28-01-2022

If our best players include three wingers (We can argue about that of course)
Then why are we playing wing backs instead

RE: team formation (again) - bluetagagain - 28-01-2022

Because DC like 3 at the back . We could accommodate Curtis Harness and Jacobs with wingbacks if we played without a recognised striker and went 343
Baz
Carter Raggs Ogilvie
Romeo Morrell Williams Hume
Jacobs Harness Curtis

RE: team formation (again) - Jizbag - 28-01-2022

I think we're over complicating this, we aren't Barcelona or Man City. I don't see anything wrong with 442 with a target man and a goal poacher, 2 wide players to get the balls in the box. Shoot on sight instead of pissing about trying to walk the ball into the net. Work on corners and set pieces (we clearly don't) and move the ball quickly.

3 at the back hasn't worked since Redknapp with far better players.

RE: team formation (again) - Hammie - 28-01-2022

Maybe Cowley is a genius. Too often so far it just feels like everything is overcomplicated.
Footballers are generally pretty limited mentally with a few notable exceptions.
K.I.S.S.

RE: team formation (again) - Pedalo_menders - 28-01-2022

Yeh, I get that feeling too Hammie. I like that the Cowleys are so detailed, hardworking and progressive in what they want to do but I do wonder if the amount of detail they give is too much for the average L1 footballer to process.

All the detail is useful as long as the basics are being done well. Some of (most of) the attacking players seem completely lost at times. To be fair though, they looked even less coherent under Jackett.

I genuinely think the remedy to the confused panick that effects our players whenever they get to the final 3rd can be eased by using Jacobs more effectively. The Cowleys need to find a way to encorporate him into the team.

RE: team formation (again) - SouthseaBubble - 28-01-2022

(28-01-2022, 03:03 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: Because DC like 3 at the back . We could accommodate Curtis Harness and Jacobs with wingbacks if we played without a recognised striker and went 343
Baz
Carter Raggs Ogilvie
Jacobs Harness Curtis

Haven't we been playing without anyone we would recognise as a striker?

RE: team formation (again) - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 29-01-2022

I think 4-3-3 could work with Jacobs being given a midfield role on the left with Morrell in the middle pulling the strings, Thompson on the right of the midfield 3, Curtis left wing, Harness right and Walker as the striker. Back 4 of the usual suspects and Baz in goal

RE: team formation (again) - mikey393 - 29-01-2022

(28-01-2022, 03:03 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: Because DC like 3 at the back . We could accommodate Curtis Harness and Jacobs with wingbacks if we played without a recognised striker and went 343
Baz
Carter Raggs Ogilvie
Jacobs Harness Curtis

Swap Jacobs & Harness positions. 
Hirst or Walker probably need to be fitted in.
3-3-3-1 New Formation.

RE: team formation (again) - DeepBlue - 29-01-2022

I remember Perrins attempt to play 3331 ... ended in total disaster.

RE: team formation (again) - Hammie - 29-01-2022

I would have just said Perrin = disaster full stop

RE: team formation (again) - bluetagagain - 29-01-2022

Or Zajec ?