TrueBlueArmy Forums
A different time in the third division. - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: A different time in the third division. (/showthread.php?tid=1483)

A different time in the third division. - Cleaver Greene - 01-02-2022

I know it was a different time and a different way of playing, but I just wanted to compare the 3rd division team of 1981/82 season. (The following season we added Biley an Dillon and went up champions)
We finished 13th that year. I pretty much watched every home game that season before moving away to Uni.
Knight
McLaughlin
Viney
Kamara
Aizlewood
Rollings
Gregory
Doyle
Rafferty
Berry
Rogers
Hemmerman
Tait
Ellis
Barnard
Cropley
Leworthy
Crown
Garner
Bryant
Bason
Bartlett
Sullivan
Wimbleton
Senior
Gosney.
A few home grown boys in that squad too.
We finished 13th. I reckon we will be lucky to finish 13th this season. Of all those old boys in that squad, I'm sure I got excited watching them play, regardless of the results.
More than I can say this season.
Better squad then than now? Discuss.

RE: A different time in the third division. - stayinupforever - 01-02-2022

Last night there was so little to get excited about I spent a lot of the game talking to those in the seats either side of me. It's difficult not to become very apathetic towards this Pompey team.
We seemed to lack any organisation almost anywhere on the pitch.There is no natural leader and at one point the Cowleys and two other backroom staff stood on the touchline mesmerised by what was happening on the park.

RE: A different time in the third division. - Wightblue - 01-02-2022

Cleaver
I still remember our season in the 3rd Division 1961/2  after our slide from doing the Division 1 double in 48/49, 49/50 down to the third tier. Our slide down the divisions seemed almost unthinkable but even worse of course in 1977/78 when we were relegated to Division 4 (our lowest point to date).

Season 61/2 saw great days at Fratton Park with gates in the 14-20,000 range, the fans generating a really raucous atmosphere and Dave Dodson and Tony Barton bombing down the wings and Ron Saunders banging them home for fun.

Of course the magnificent Jimmy Dickinson continued his outstanding service to Pompey and passed his 600 game milestone.

The manager, George Smith, set out to entertain despite operating with a minimal squad.

Had a quick look at the stats P46 W27 D11 L8 Goals for 87 Against 47
Saunders leading goal scorer with 26

Of course, different days but way more exciting than the lacklustre stuff Cowley and his team are serving up, it’s not surprising that the atmosphere at Fratton Park is so lacking these days- what is there to get excited about ?

RE: A different time in the third division. - Northstander - 01-02-2022

Yes I used to look forward to seeing them play Greene. Later on add Kennedy, Blake, Gilbert, Vince and Quinny to name but a few. Not so now I'm afraid, like many I am beginning not to be bothered to go. As for Managers like Campbell, Burrows and Ballie, Jackett and The Cowleys are not in their league.

RE: A different time in the third division. - Hammie - 01-02-2022

worryingly I am hearing people with children telling me that they are asking NOT to go even though they have season tickets.
I can't blame them, this team seems to lack any charisma, a reflection of the manager.
I've seen worse Pompey teams, but there was almost always a player or two to get excited by.

RE: A different time in the third division. - DeepBlue - 02-02-2022

(01-02-2022, 11:59 AM)Northstander Wrote: Yes I used to look forward to seeing them play Greene. Later on add Kennedy, Blake, Gilbert, Vince and Quinny to name but a few. Not so now I'm afraid, like many I am beginning not to be bothered to go. As for Managers like Campbell, Burrows and Ballie,  Jackett and The Cowleys are not in their league.

Greene ?

RE: A different time in the third division. - Lt Dan - 02-02-2022

(02-02-2022, 11:00 AM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(01-02-2022, 11:59 AM)Northstander Wrote: Yes I used to look forward to seeing them play Greene. Later on add Kennedy, Blake, Gilbert, Vince and Quinny to name but a few. Not so now I'm afraid, like many I am beginning not to be bothered to go. As for Managers like Campbell, Burrows and Ballie,  Jackett and The Cowleys are not in their league.

Greene ?

I think it was the nickname for our wonder sub of those days: Tobe Named... Or possibly he meant the original poster?

RE: A different time in the third division. - Northstander - 02-02-2022

(02-02-2022, 11:25 AM)Lt Dan Wrote:

Greene ?

I think it was the nickname for our wonder sub of those days: Tobe Named... Or possibly he meant the original poster?

Yes originated by Cleaver Greene

(02-02-2022, 11:25 AM)Lt Dan Wrote:

Greene ?

Didn't spot the origianl poster ... d'oh ! 

I thought it was some long forgotten player.

RE: A different time in the third division. - Cleaver Greene - 02-02-2022

I did have quite a few games in the reserves. Never made the first team. Ian St. John was the manager back then. Shows you how long ago it was.
Cleaver Greene is not my real name obviously.

RE: A different time in the third division. - Northstander - 02-02-2022

Those were the days of the Football Combination............

(02-02-2022, 12:06 PM)Cleaver Greene Wrote: I did have quite a few games in the reserves. Never made the first team. Ian St. John was the manager back then. Shows you how long ago it was.
Cleaver Greene is not my real name obviously.

Not Clive Green then ? He played in the first team around that time. I used to know his Dad.

RE: A different time in the third division. - Hammie - 02-02-2022

and the days of getting free reserve games to watch with a ST. Used to give a game most weeks to those who did not go away. My main memory is a sparsely populated south Stand with the predominant noise being the squelch of mud as players ran up and down the wing that never saw the Sun.