TrueBlueArmy Forums
Players you’d release this summer - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Players you’d release this summer (/showthread.php?tid=1490)

Players you’d release this summer - Pompeyloyal - 01-02-2022

Freeman,Reeco,Williams,Tunnicliffe

Question marks over Robertson & Thompson too 

Another massive rebuild required again for sure

RE: Players you’d release this summer - Cunninglinguist - 02-02-2022

I'd agree with that list.

RE: Players you’d release this summer - dsmg - 02-02-2022

Did Freeman, Williams, Tunnicliffe, Robertson and Thompson all only sign one year contracts? Gonna be expensive to release them all otherwise.

RE: Players you’d release this summer - bluetagagain - 02-02-2022

Harness, Curtis, Williams,Thompson.

RE: Players you’d release this summer - ForeverPompey - 02-02-2022

Thompson is on a pay per play contract I think.

RE: Players you’d release this summer - Rick Pumpkin - 02-02-2022

(01-02-2022, 10:09 PM)Pompeyloyal Wrote: Freeman,Reeco,Williams,Tunnicliffe

Can't argue over any of the first four but Robertson I think is worth keeping - actually think he's on a two year deal anyway.

And if DC remains in place (let's face it Tornante aren't going to fire him), and continues to play this current formation, then I wouldn't be upset to see Curtis go either. Would probably do the kid the world of good.

RE: Players you’d release this summer - Jizbag - 02-02-2022

Release the management.

RE: Players you’d release this summer - Pompeyloyal - 02-02-2022

Thomason’s only ok if he’s in a decent sized squad - have to see how Robertson gets on til the end of the season

Jacobs & Hume also ones to watch injury wise

RE: Players you’d release this summer - Rick Pumpkin - 02-02-2022

(02-02-2022, 10:03 AM)Pompeyloyal Wrote: Thomason’s only if he’s in a decent sized squad - have to see how Robertson gets on til the end of the season

Jacobs & Hume also ones to watch injury wise

Jacobs' contract is up in the summer so you'd think he'd be like a rat out of a drainpipe once the Sheff Wed game ends.

RE: Players you’d release this summer - blueandwight - 02-02-2022

Remarkable. Did you people not witness the most embarrassing transfer window in the history of our club? So disastrous that we now have an smaller squad and an increasing number of fans arguing, with the benefit of hindsight, that we should have held onto John Marquis

In the summer, when we let all these players go (can't see too many of them commanding a transfer fee) who exactly are we going to bring in to replace them?

Danny Cowley is a dead man walking which, in our case, means he's only got about three years to go! Anyway I have no doubt he'll have a list of targets that one by one will be discounted because we can't compete with other clubs (you know the ones with an average home gate of 6/7,000), the selling club want a transfer fee, salary demands etc.

So perhaps we should stop talking nonsense while living in fantasy land and get real. Under the Americans we will never bring in the quality of player that we did when the Trust was running the show.

(02-02-2022, 10:19 AM)blueandwight Wrote: Remarkable. Did you people not witness the most embarrassing transfer window in the history of our club? So disastrous that we now have an smaller squad and an increasing number of fans arguing, with the benefit of hindsight, that we should have held onto John Marquis

In the summer, when we let all these players go (can't see too many of them commanding a transfer fee) who exactly are we going to bring in to replace them?

Danny Cowley is a dead man walking which, in our case, means he's only got about three years to go! Anyway I have no doubt he'll have a list of targets that one by one will be discounted because we can't compete with other clubs (you know the ones with an average home gate of 6/7,000), the selling club want a transfer fee, salary demands etc.

So perhaps we should stop talking nonsense while living in fantasy land and get real. Under the Americans we will never bring in the quality of player that we did when the Trust was running the show.

Are the wages & running costs lower in league 2 & what about covid/ground restrictions - additional funding would’ve been required if were still under PST control - last I heard they were ‘still’ struggling to sort out a Jimmy D statue

RE: Players you’d release this summer - exterminator - 02-02-2022

Reeco is worth keeping - has a bit of pace & a half-decent shot on him, if he can practice kicking with his right foot he will be a decent player having never played at this level before this season.

I'd add bad apple Curtis & next to useless Harness to loyal's list of Freeman, Williams & Tunnicliffe.

RE: Players you’d release this summer - Ain’t got a Danny - 02-02-2022

Yep the Trust probably isn’t going to be able to afford it post pandemic.

The owners will sell once the builders have finished. (There won’t be a new North Stand).

Meanwhile the team will be run on the cheap. A lot of mistakes made by Cowley. It won’t get better with no cash.

RE: Players you’d release this summer - ForeverPompey - 02-02-2022

And yet Harness is by a country mile our leading scorer this season - about 30% of them.

RE: Players you’d release this summer - bluetagagain - 02-02-2022

He is , but he’s totally inconsistent, which is why no championship team were willing to pay a fee for him, they might take a punt on him as freebie in the summer but I doubt he’ll go to decent club. The same applies to Curtis

RE: Players you’d release this summer - DeepBlue - 02-02-2022

Can't believe people are questioning Robertson ... I thought he was outstanding at the start of the season, and a decent captain too. I suppose he is an injury doubt, but this seasons injury was unlucky and totally unrelated to any previous problems.

The question this thread should be asking is which of the out of contract players would you keep.  It's pointless talking about 'releasing' players cos if they are under contract they don't have to go anywhere. 

Can't remember the whole list of those whose contract ends, but there were at least 8 of them, some of them will have already gone.  When I saw the list the only one I would be worried aboout losing was Raggett, and I suspect we will struggle to keep him because his form will have Championship clubs after him.  And maybe Jacobs, but I think he will still want away. 

The rebuild in the summer will be as big as last year, but this time Cowley has created the space in the budget by managing to get rid of the likes of Harrison, Marquis & Downing.  If he fails to build the team he wants this summer then his days will be numbered, but I think he deserves the chance because so far he has been held back Jackett's legacy players and consequently tighter budget restraints than he would have wanted.

RE: Players you’d release this summer - Lawrence - 02-02-2022

(02-02-2022, 10:19 AM)blueandwight Wrote: Remarkable. Did you people not witness the most embarrassing transfer window in the history of our club? So disastrous that we now have an smaller squad and an increasing number of fans arguing, with the benefit of hindsight, that we should have held onto John Marquis

Whilst I fully agree with most of your post, can you imagine the trust being able to pay any fees for any decent players? I seriously doubt it.  The trust wouldn't have even made it past covid without serious cutbacks.

The club needed to take the next step from the trust - it just sold out to the first opportunist that turned up. Should've waited longer. 

The trouble is that only idiots would buy a football club.

RE: Players you’d release this summer - Lawrence - 02-02-2022

(01-02-2022, 10:09 PM)Pompeyloyal Wrote: Freeman,Reeco,Williams,Tunnicliffe

For a minute I thought this was an old post from last year.

Some things never change eh.

FWIW, I'd caution the rush to get rid of players as, based on current trends, we seem to replace them with more crapper and injury-affected players.

RE: Players you’d release this summer - Hammie - 02-02-2022

When Cook arrived. One of the first things he identified was that Pompey changed players too often, so they never became comfortable at their home ground. That seems to be true to me, especially for lower league players not used to bigger crowds.

(02-02-2022, 03:23 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: Can't believe people are questioning Robertson ... I thought he was outstanding at the start of the season, and a decent captain too. I suppose he is an injury doubt, but this seasons injury was unlucky and totally unrelated to any previous problems.

The question this thread should be asking is which of the out of contract players would you keep.  It's pointless talking about 'releasing' players cos if they are under contract they don't have to go anywhere. 

Can't remember the whole list of those whose contract ends, but there were at least 8 of them, some of them will have already gone.  When I saw the list the only one I would be worried aboout losing was Raggett, and I suspect we will struggle to keep him because his form will have Championship clubs after him.  And maybe Jacobs, but I think he will still want away. 

The rebuild in the summer will be as big as last year, but this time Cowley has created the space in the budget by managing to get rid of the likes of Harrison, Marquis & Downing.  If he fails to build the team he wants this summer then his days will be numbered, but I think he deserves the chance because so far he has been held back Jackett's legacy players and consequently tighter budget restraints than he would have wanted.

Personally my concern with Robertson is purely fitness based - especially if Tornante/Cowley insist on such a tight squad - can’t have the likes of Robertson,Jacobs,Thompson possibly Tunnicliffe & Hume too - need ‘durable’ players

RE: Players you’d release this summer - Cunninglinguist - 02-02-2022

(02-02-2022, 10:19 AM)blueandwight Wrote: Remarkable. Did you people not witness the most embarrassing transfer window in the history of our club? 

Embarrassing??????

How sensitive do you have to be, to use a word like that, in connection with a transfer window? Disappointing would have been more appropriate.

Was anyone actually embarrassed?

RE: Players you’d release this summer - Hammie - 02-02-2022

probably comparing to a couple of clubs that spent big and are currently employing different managers to the ones that spent the money