TrueBlueArmy Forums
Empty words - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Empty words (/showthread.php?tid=1499)

Pages: 1 2

Empty words - Pedalo_menders - 03-02-2022

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/danny-cowley-delivers-forceful-response-to-portsmouth-fans-as-flak-flies-over-clubs-direction-3554428

Why is he talking about wanting to improve recruitment and the academy just days after a transfer window where they all proved they don't have a clue what they're doing. There is no point promising to work hard when players are put on a plate in front of you and you still can't sign them.

Own up that it wasnt good enough or just shut up. Tell us why the plan failed, again.

RE: Empty words - DeepBlue - 03-02-2022

(03-02-2022, 05:45 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/danny-cowley-delivers-forceful-response-to-portsmouth-fans-as-flak-flies-over-clubs-direction-3554428

Why is he talking about wanting to improve recruitment and the academy just days after a transfer window where they all proved they don't have a clue what they're doing. There is no point promising to work hard when players are put on a plate in front of you and you still can't sign them.

Own up that it wasnt good enough or just shut up. Tell us why the plan failed, again.

I'd have thought talking about the need to improve recruitment was stating the bleeding obvious. He is talking about the need to do because it did not go well in January ... that is why.  

We do not know why the attempts to sign players went wrong. So yes, someone should tell us why the plan failed but I don't quite see why he should be criticised for saying we need to improve in that area ?

RE: Empty words - Hammie - 03-02-2022

Well, he has asked to be criticised rather than the owners......

RE: Empty words - Jizbag - 03-02-2022

So the owner’s blueprint is to bring the ground to the minimum safety standard and abandon the playing side? I thought the playing budget wasn’t going to be affected by ground works? Or is our management just completely shit?

Both I suspect.

RE: Empty words - Hammie - 03-02-2022

The report clearly states that the wage bill is higher than Kenny was allowed. In which case perhaps Kenny was a little better than he was given credit for.
Looking wider, both Sunderland and Ipswich spent a lot last summer and are still struggling to match the relegated champ teams.
Maybe its more about prem and prem 2 money gradually creating a two tier English league with pretty much no relegation out of the top bit unless you go bust. That seems to be what the top clubs wanted and what they are now getting close to.

RE: Empty words - Pedalo_menders - 03-02-2022

Either way, somebody has royally ducked up. Either the budget has been reduced, which explains why they wouldn't retain our best player and minnows such as Wycombe, mk dons, Gillingham & Oxford are all beating us to player signatures.

Alternatively (and to me this is even worse) the recruitment team have deliberately passed up signing & retaining decent players so they can sign average, shit and injury prone players instead and at a greater cost.

RE: Empty words - mikey393 - 03-02-2022

Why is Cowley taking the blame I wonder?

Surely Cullen as CEO is very much to blame or us he covering for him?

Either way we missecd out on 3 x potential signings to supposed smaller clubs.

Looking at our capacity now we've now joined them.

Oxford are just about to start building a new modern stadium with a 18,000 capacity.

We're trying to patch up a crumbling wreck which doesn't mak ebusiness sense at all.

RE: Empty words - exgaffer - 03-02-2022

(03-02-2022, 10:13 PM)mikey393 Wrote: Why is Cowley taking the blame I wonder?

Surely Cullen as CEO is very much to blame or us he covering for him?

Either way we missecd out on 3 x potential signings to supposed smaller clubs.

Looking at our capacity now we've now joined them.

Oxford are just about to start building a new modern stadium with a 18,000 capacity.

We're trying to patch up a crumbling wreck which doesn't mak ebusiness sense at all.

18,000 eh? Huge then  Smile .

Fratton Park won’t be crumbling when it’s been done up will it?

It will have character and atmosphere, something Oxford’s new ground will not have.

It’s a bit like when a lovely old building is demolished and replaced with a neo brutalist monstrosity, there should be a law against it ffs.

Oxford’s current ground is a 3 sided joke, so they will be better off, we certainly wouldn’t be.

RE: Empty words - Harrysgirl - 03-02-2022

And to make the debacle of the transfer window even worse… 

Hampshire live reporting that Sunderland are paying towards us having Aiden O Brien … so now we know.. if true we can’t or won’t pay out for any player and have to go cap in hand ..and ask Sunderland to help out… presumably towards salary.   … 

Enough said ……

RE: Empty words - Cunninglinguist - 04-02-2022

Apparently the playing budget was increased for the January window and we are actually paying out more in wages than we were before the window. We have also just paid the biggest fee for a player since we were in admin.

Or did I just dream that?

RE: Empty words - Roybatty - 04-02-2022

(04-02-2022, 06:53 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: Apparently the playing budget was increased for the January window and we are actually paying out more in wages than we were before the window. We have also just paid the biggest fee for a player since we were in admin.

Marquis or Hume?

RE: Empty words - Jizbag - 04-02-2022

Either the man is lying through his teeth or we have the most useless management and recruitment team for a decade.

RE: Empty words - DeepBlue - 04-02-2022

(04-02-2022, 07:06 AM)Roybatty Wrote:
(04-02-2022, 06:53 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: Apparently the playing budget was increased for the January window and we are actually paying out more in wages than we were before the window. We have also just paid the biggest fee for a player since we were in admin.

Marquis or Hume?

Must have dreamt it .... Marquis £1m, Harness £800k, Harrison £450k all well above Hume's £200k, and I wouldn't be surprised if we had some more bigger than that in the Paul Cook days.

(04-02-2022, 10:42 AM)DeepBlue Wrote:

Marquis or Hume?

Must have dreamt it .... Marquis £1m, Harness £800k, Harrison £450k all well above Hume's £200k, and I wouldn't be surprised if we had some more bigger than that in the Paul Cook days.

Just listened to the Cullen broadcast and you didn't dream it ... he said it ! 

I just hope that doesn't mean we paid over £1m for Hume, because it has been widely reported as around the 200k mark. 

Still not sure about Cullen - he talks the talk OK but I can't help thinking he has a lot to do to make up for the chaos and mistakes in the admin of the club at the start of the season.

RE: Empty words - Pedalo_menders - 04-02-2022

Very worrying soundbites from both Cullen and Cowley. Cullen says that he doesn't know if the window was good or bad?!! Wtf?!! Then goes on to say the club want to sign young exciting 23yo players on the up that can be an asset to the club. Well, Denver Hume is not that, he's a bang average player struggling to get into a League 1 team, whos never played at a higher level. BENFUCKING THOMPSON is literally what you described and was 200k cheaper ffs.

Cowley saying he didn't see value in the other targets which leads me to believe that they werent even in for Thompson. Unbelievably poor decision making that.

The reason why there wasn't any value left in the window Danny is because you were chasing the wrong fooking targets and putting in low ball offers right at the death. Any moron with half a brain cell can see that.
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/portsmouth-boss-reveals-what-happened-on-deadline-day-after-losing-out-on-middlesbrough-target-to-wycombe-rotherham-midfielder-and-signing-sunderland-attacker-on-short-term-deal-3555200

As you can probably tell, the more I hear coming out of the club, the more it boils my piss!

RE: Empty words - Rick Pumpkin - 04-02-2022

Peds, Thompson is 26 and much as I wish we'd signed him not least for the lift it would've given the support, you've got to think that if he was ever going to be considered an up and coming player that would have happened before now. He is what he is, a good L1 player and someone who can scuff around the lower reaches of the Championship. He's not the Messiah, he's a distinctly average player in the greater scheme of things.

In saying that, Morrell excepted I still think he's better than any of the other journeymen we've currently got in the middle of the park which shows how bad things have got.

And Cowley himself has said that he identifies and scouts players and then it's over to Cullen and his team to make offers and carry out negotiations. I'll blame the manager and coaching staff for the headless chickens we see running around the pitch with no organisation most games, but the blame for being unable to get transfers over the line I think lies elsewhere.

RE: Empty words - briefcase_wanchor - 04-02-2022

(04-02-2022, 12:13 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(04-02-2022, 10:42 AM)DeepBlue Wrote:

Marquis or Hume?

Just listened to the Cullen broadcast and you didn't dream it ... he said it ! 

I just hope that doesn't mean we paid over £1m for Hume, because it has been widely reported as around the 200k mark. 

Actually, it was a dream - or a more like a mis-hearing.   He said Humes was the highest fee paid "in a Jan transfer window post administration".

Couple of things surprised me on the wage/transfer finances - the wage bill is now higher than it was pre-January, and its seems a lot of that is down to the very expensive wages of Walker!!!!! ; and the 200k paid for Hume was more than the club received for Harrison, Marquis and Brown in transfer fees.

That explains it  .... I missed the January bit. 

And yes, the Walker wages sounded a bit worrying based on what we have seen so far, but at least he is only on loan. So it sounds as if Hirst is no longer our highest earner, but it's worrying that our two highest earners don't look like scoring.

And the 200k for Hume is bound to be more than we got for any outgoing players because they were probably all released on frees just to get rid of them. They were all out of contract in the summer so never likely to get more than a nominal fee. Fleetwood may have paid a bit for Harrison, but Lincoln only signed Marquis on a 6 month contract so surely will not have paid anything for that.

RE: Empty words - Hammie - 04-02-2022

the highest january fee paid out was what he actually said

RE: Empty words - exterminator - 04-02-2022

Denver Hume only signed a two-year contract with Sunderland last summer. We signed him for a reported £200k on a 2.5 yr contract, so I would guess that Sunderland are making up some of the difference between what they would have paid him & what we are paying him for the next 18 months (end of what would have been his SAFC contract)- say £500 per week for 18 months, £39k?

As for fans "throwing their toys out of the pram" over us not signing Wing or any other midfielder, Cullen said that a club was interested in one of our players but was way short of our valuation, that obviously had an effect on who we could sign.

DC obviously didn't think Wing or those other midfielders were worth the transfer fee or the money they would have wanted - we move on to the summer when hopefully we get more permanent signings and less loans.

PUP

RE: Empty words - Pompeyloyal - 05-02-2022

Easy running a football club that’s had its infrastructure basically ignored for 45/50 years innit

Funny when you see folk on here telling Pompey Towers what they are doing wrong - coming from maybe a chippy or a car mechanic

Makes enthralling reading

RE: Empty words - Hammie - 05-02-2022

regarding wages
if we bring in played from the champ, then the wages will obviously be higher

That's where we really need the scouting in Ireland, belgium etc to be finding players; but that's what all clubs are doing as well as us.

RE: Empty words - Lawrence - 05-02-2022

(04-02-2022, 01:57 PM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote: Peds, Thompson is 26 and much as I wish we'd signed him not least for the lift it would've given the support, you've got to think that if he was ever going to be considered an up and coming player that would have happened before now.  He is what he is, a good L1 player and someone who can scuff around the lower reaches of the Championship.  He's not the Messiah, he's a distinctly average player in the greater scheme of things.

In saying that, Morrell excepted I still think he's better than any of the other journeymen we've currently got in the middle of the park which shows how bad things have got.

And Cowley himself has said that he identifies and scouts players and then it's over to Cullen and his team to make offers and carry out negotiations.  I'll blame the manager and coaching staff for the headless chickens we see running around the pitch with no organisation most games, but the blame for being unable to get transfers over the line I think lies elsewhere.

26 is no age for a midfielder. We'd have got a hard working experienced ex-championship player for nothing but wages that Gillingham can afford. He might have turned out gash but given the financial outlay would hardly be a gamble. 

In hindsight, if the club were going into a period of austerity playing wise then maybe we should've tapped the likes of John Coleman of Accrington who's used to that kind of management rather than a manager duo trying to affect a playing style that requires substantial player investment?

RE: Empty words - Hammie - 05-02-2022

seems fair enough. Unless he could not cope with the weight of expectation and constant criticism form our fans.

RE: Empty words - DeepBlue - 05-02-2022

Gillingham can't necessarily afford him. Which is why his contract is only till the end of  the season. 

Basically he has gone there to do his old manager a favour. The clamour for us to sign him will start again in the summer, but if DC didn't fancy now for some reason (probably his age profile) I can't see him changing his mind in the summer.