TrueBlueArmy Forums
Full Backs - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Full Backs (/showthread.php?tid=15)

Full Backs - Northstander - 24-11-2020

Jackett chops and changes, Johnson and Brown I expect to start this evening.... Dodgy

RE: Full Backs - Wightblue - 24-11-2020

(24-11-2020, 09:27 AM)Northstander Wrote: Jackett chops and changes, Johnson and Brown I expect to start this evening.... Dodgy

I think our backs are no more than just about adequate, like the centre backs with the exception of Jack.

Browne is a very dependable, solid defender but doesn’t really offer much going forward, Curtis would have more opportunities with a really good attacking left back getting forward and offering more attacking options but I would stick with Browne over Pring.

Johnson is a defender who often has problems with.......defending, easily beaten on either side and has been involved in too many goals for the opposition, does get forward but often doesn’t know what to do in advanced situations.

Mnoga looks a prospect but showed his inexperience against Crewe, too often caught in no mans land and left holes on our right flank but he does bomb forward very effectively at times, will doubtless get very much better but needs decent game time to make the improvement (Kings Lynne and Cheltenham come to mind). Out of contract this summer ? Jackett needs to show him he has a real future at Fratton or off he will go.
I guess it will be Browne and Johnson against Oxford but with 5 subs, Jackett might give Mnoga or Pring the first half BUT Oxford are likely to be better than their league position suggests, they may well provide a very good test of our ability and resolve.k

RE: Full Backs - Northstander - 24-11-2020

(24-11-2020, 11:44 AM)Wightblue Wrote:
(24-11-2020, 09:27 AM)Northstander Wrote: Jackett chops and changes, Johnson and Brown I expect to start this evening.... Dodgy

I think our backs are no more than just about adequate, like the centre backs with the exception of Jack.

Browne is a very dependable, solid defender but doesn’t really offer much going forward, Curtis would have more opportunities with a really good attacking left back getting forward and offering more attacking options but I would stick with Browne over Pring.

Johnson is a defender who often has problems with.......defending, easily beaten on either side and has been involved in too many goals for the opposition, does get forward but often doesn’t know what to do in advanced situations.

Mnoga looks a prospect but showed his inexperience against Crewe, too often caught in no mans land and left holes on our right flank but he does bomb forward very effectively at times, will doubtless get very much better but needs decent game time to make the improvement (Kings Lynne and Cheltenham come to mind). Out of contract this summer ? Jackett needs to show him he has a real future at Fratton or off he will go.
I guess it will be Browne and Johnson against Oxford but with 5 subs, Jackett might give Mnoga or Pring the first half BUT Oxford are likely to be better than their league position suggests, they may well provide a very good test of our ability and resolve.k .....
Jackett reckons Mnoga's future is as a central defender

RE: Full Backs - Northstander - 24-11-2020

Great reply. I believe Pompey have a 1 year option on Mnoga's contract, I too expect him to figure in the Kings Lynn and Cheltenham matches

RE: Full Backs - slayer - 24-11-2020

By trade Mgona is a winger who is being played out of position

RE: Full Backs - Isaac Hunt - 24-11-2020

Too clumsy for a winger

RE: Full Backs - Wightblue - 24-11-2020

Interesting Scumslayer, I’ve often thought that Mnoga might be an interesting pick playing wide right in midfield, strong, with pace and as direct as can be, potentially a real handful. Jackett doesn’t seem a manager who likes attacking fullbacks and I do worry that Mnoga may become disenchanted with the lack of chances at FP.

Play Johnson or Bolton at right back and give Mnoga a shot as an attacking wide midfielder against KL and Cheltenham, OK, not the most difficult opposition but an interesting experiment especially with 5 subs available.

Of course, it ain’t gonna happen