TrueBlueArmy Forums
Time for the players to take control - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Time for the players to take control (/showthread.php?tid=150)

Time for the players to take control - TBP - 24-01-2021

Should this be the equivalent of the Crewe game of four years ago, with the players taking control and pushing on to promotion?

RE: Time for the players to take control - slayer - 24-01-2021

There are plenty of players who need to front up and take responsibility for yesterday's shower, and IMHO Jack should be at the front of the queue.

RE: Time for the players to take control - DeepBlue - 24-01-2021

(24-01-2021, 03:16 PM)scumslayer Wrote: There are plenty of players who need to front up and take responsibility for yesterday's shower, and IMHO Jack should be at the front of the queue.

Jack could not be blamed for either own goal, and although he did not have his best game he was way down the list when it comes to naming players who underperformed yesterday.  Curtis, Harness, Marquis, Raggett for starters.

RE: Time for the players to take control - Hammie - 24-01-2021

alternatively
"we win as a team and we lose as a team"
From what I saw not many of them could hold their hand up and say they were much better than anyone else.

RE: Time for the players to take control - The Realist - 24-01-2021

(24-01-2021, 03:16 PM)scumslayer Wrote: There are plenty of players who need to front up and take responsibility for yesterday's shower, and IMHO Jack should be at the front of the queue.

I agree, its time for Jack to show he can perform in the big games.

RE: Time for the players to take control - TBP - 24-01-2021

The team performed poorly against Crewe, but once they took control and went with a positive strategy everything came together. They have been playing well enough. Dropping Jacobs didn't work, it would seem.

RE: Time for the players to take control - Pompey_in_Derby - 24-01-2021

Just a few weeks ago Lincoln got stuffed 4-0 at home by Sunderland. They've since recovered their form and are above us in the table. If we can bounce back on Tuesday then the Hull defeat will become a distant memory.

Hopefully, there will be a repeat of the reaction to Bristol Rovers away in 1983 (lost 5-1) after which we went on to win the league?

RE: Time for the players to take control - DeepBlue - 24-01-2021

(24-01-2021, 06:54 PM)The Realist Wrote:

Out of interest what big games did you have in mind when he has not performed ?

RE: Time for the players to take control - ForeverPompey - 25-01-2021

Obviously we all have different perspectives and opinions on a game and yes, Jack was short of his best. For me, though, the problem was in front of the defence. Naylor was ok I suppose, but the rest of them... Harness and Curtis in particular were AWOL and it got even worse when Close and White were introduced. I can't see the benefit of abandoning a system that has brought us to highest scorers and near the top of the table just because we are one down at half time and reverting to the system that took us to.. 18th in the table.

RE: Time for the players to take control - The Realist - 25-01-2021

(24-01-2021, 09:23 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(24-01-2021, 06:54 PM)The Realist Wrote:

Out of interest what big games did you have in mind when he has not performed ?

2018 must win home match against Charlton to maintain play off push - totally anonymous and in no man's land for their goal.  If he is going to live up to the hype he'll need to stand out in the tough must win matches.

RE: Time for the players to take control - bluetagagain - 25-01-2021

So 3 years ago he fucked up. Shocking behaviour from a nipper.

RE: Time for the players to take control - Pedalo_menders - 25-01-2021

Its definitely not panic stations just yet. Saturday was a big wallop in the bollocks but we can walk it off.

They've come back from far worse performances. I just hope teams havent sussed out that they need to harass Raggett to open us up...

RE: Time for the players to take control - bluetagagain - 25-01-2021

Hopefully the rumours of an potential CB signing is true ( Zak Jules).

RE: Time for the players to take control - The Realist - 26-01-2021

(25-01-2021, 02:03 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: So 3 years ago he fucked up. Shocking behaviour from a nipper.

We need to stop making excuses for him and he needs to emulate the 20 year old Matt Clarke who led us to promotion from League 2.

RE: Time for the players to take control - ForeverPompey - 26-01-2021

(26-01-2021, 08:30 PM)The Realist Wrote:
(25-01-2021, 02:03 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: So 3 years ago he fucked up. Shocking behaviour from a nipper.

We need to stop making excuses for him and he needs to emulate the 20 year old Matt Clarke who led us to promotion from League 2.

Don’t expect Curtis to take control. A completely crap free kick again wasting our latest opportunity to get a shot on target. Is he a waste of space like a year or so ago?

RE: Time for the players to take control - mikey393 - 26-01-2021

Another Farce. I'd fire KJ now & get someone in with some drive!