TrueBlueArmy Forums
Appeal red card ? - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Appeal red card ? (/showthread.php?tid=1522)

Appeal red card ? - firqdays - 07-02-2022

Nothing said yet about an appeal concerning the erroneous red card. There are quite a few grounds to base the appeal on including:-

The apparent X ray vision of the unsighted Ref.

Morrell's height  - meant that in a nice way)

The concerted and , one could say, REHEARSED demonstration and exaggerated appeals after the collision by the collective Oxford Utd team.

The lack of physical evidence of injury to the opposition player - ( if wrong on this one I am sure I shall be corrected)

HOWEVER, if an/the appeal was upheld then it leaves the FA open to legislation if we are relegated ( for lack of) three points - or ditto for play-off places ( just hypothetical that last one)

A three game ban would be cruel.

RE: Appeal red card ? - PompeyDB - 07-02-2022

What's the basis on which a red card can be reversed? Because if it's any of the points you raise it's a cert. But if it's only in the case of 'clear and obvious error' or somesuch then it won't be. Has anyone dug through the rulebook recently?

RE: Appeal red card ? - bluetagagain - 07-02-2022

I didn’t think you could appeal a straight red.

RE: Appeal red card ? - Northstander - 07-02-2022

We appealed Callum Johnson's red card at Millwall in the League Cup early in the season. We lost that appeal and he joined Fleetwood on loan not long after. Appeal hearings tend more often than not to back the Ref from what I have seen

RE: Appeal red card ? - Cleaver Greene - 07-02-2022

Unfortunately, even if he didnt catch the player with the high boot, it is potentially Foul play, Law 12.
A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Pointless wasting an appeal.
For the record, I thought it soft. Maybe a booking. I have seen worse given a booking. Depends if you play for Manchester U or City. Or Chelsea or - should I go on?

Many years ago I officiated in decent standards of football. I was never near the Football League as it was then, but for what it's worth I do feel the standard of Officials is as poor as it's ever been. The lino for the Charlton "goal" was in the correct position, he got it wrong. I have a long memory, not for the first time we have been the victim of poor decisions here against Charlton. When I see Lee Bowyer moaning about Refs I have no sympathy, remembering the last time he was here with Charlton. I agree with Cleaver, I've seen worse than Morrell's given a yellow. We've seen nothing given also (2 instances against Argyle here come to mind). All Referees have shockers, Rotherham fans were adamant theirs did Saturday although they did beat Accrington 1.0. Finally I do find it sad that players get into the Ref's face to get an opposing player sent off, as Oxford did. Also the way players writhe around in agony when they are touched. They ought to get up and get on with it as Micky Kennedy and Yosser would have done. Rant over......................

RE: Appeal red card ? - exgaffer - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 02:35 PM)Cleaver Greene Wrote: Unfortunately, even if he didnt catch the player with the high boot, it is potentially Foul play, Law 12.
A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

For the record, I thought it soft. Maybe a booking. I have seen worse given a booking. Depends if you play for Manchester U or City. Or Chelsea or - should I go on?

You say it is potentially foul play, then read out a rule that doesn’t remotely describe the challenge.

I definitely think it’s worth an appeal.

Just seen no surprise the FA have launched an investigation into Saturdays events. Match total of 11 Yellows, 1 Red and the "Medical Incident". We can expect a fine for our cards (7 yellows and 1 Red) at the very least. I've done a bit of delving. The Referee is on his 2nd season in the EFL. Never officiated us before (hope he doesnt again). He did do a Shrewsbury v Crewe game which he issued 9 yellows earlier this season. I expect and hope when Oxford come here the league will appoint a far more experienced Referee

RE: Appeal red card ? - DeepBlue - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 02:24 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: I didn’t think you could appeal a straight red.

A straight red is the only thing you can appeal.  You cannot appeal a yellow (or two yellows that made a red). 

The grounds for appeal are quite simple. You have to prove that the incident was not an offence that merits a red card, in this case that it was not serious foul play or endangering an opponent.  It helps if the ref admits an error, but don't suppose he will. 

Can't help thinking that the fact that we were fined for excessive yellows in the game will not help. Nor DC's comment that the ref did not see it and 'guessed'.  So I'm not expecting good news.

RE: Appeal red card ? - Cleaver Greene - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 03:23 PM)exgaffer Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 02:35 PM)Cleaver Greene Wrote: Unfortunately, even if he didnt catch the player with the high boot, it is potentially Foul play, Law 12.

You say it is potentially foul play, then read out a rule that doesn’t remotely describe the challenge.

I definitely think it’s worth an appeal.
Err I think I did.
"excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play"
Whether you think that the challenge was not excessive, as do I, it's not what that ref thought on Saturday.
So in his head he saw that challenge as endangering the safety of an opponent and therefore a straight red.
Like I said it was soft and a poor decision in my mind.

The Snooze confirms they have appealed Morrell's Red

RE: Appeal red card ? - mikey393 - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 05:34 PM)Northstander Wrote: The Snooze confirms they have appealed Morrell's Red

Too right as well. Just watched the incident on the Highlights & it wasn't a great view but looked an innocuous challenge Morrell raised his foot slightly to try to play the ball while Branagan put his head down & got caught slightly. He wasn't injured although he made out he was didn't have to go off & scored their equaliser. The ref was totally out of his depth & had No control hence all the cards given out. A yellow card would have sufficed & No way a straight red.

It wasn't deliberate dangerous play in my book. Let's hope the F.A. see sense & rescind it. Although it doesn't change the scoreline & a 2-2 draw was about right.

RE: Appeal red card ? - Pompey_in_Derby - 07-02-2022

Definitely worth an appeal.

Also, on the basis that "excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play" then surely that Oxford thug who clearly grabbed Ronan's balls at FP last season should have been retrospectively banned?

Finally quote from Cowley re the Ref.........I spoke to Mike Jones, the head of refereeing, this morning.

Unfortunately, I’ve spoke to him more in the last three weeks than I have my whole life. That probably says a little bit about the decisions that are going against us at the minute.

I shared my thoughts on the referee’s performance with him and he was very supportive, as always.

RE: Appeal red card ? - slayer - 07-02-2022

The officiating at League 1 level is so fucking utterly useless that appealing it is pointless. They will watch the video again, see that nothing illegal happened, then decide Morell could have taken the Oxford player's head off anyway, if the facts of the event were completely different to what actually happened, so best leave the red in place to be on the safe side.

RE: Appeal red card ? - Hammie - 07-02-2022

trouble is with appeals that it is only ever the clubs appealing to rescind a card, not much to lose if they do. Should be accompanied by the Rugby post match thing where the video is checked for serious things missed by the ref but seen by everyone on line after the or during the game.

RE: Appeal red card ? - Pompeyg100 - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 09:25 PM)Hammie Wrote: trouble is with appeals that it is only ever the clubs appealing to rescind a card, not much to lose if they do. Should be accompanied by the Rugby post match thing where the video is checked for serious things missed by the ref but seen by everyone on line after the or during the game.

Agree and a post match review would mean red card over turned and Hirst suspended, win win in my book.

RE: Appeal red card ? - Hammie - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 09:30 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 09:25 PM)Hammie Wrote: trouble is with appeals that it is only ever the clubs appealing to rescind a card, not much to lose if they do. Should be accompanied by the Rugby post match thing where the video is checked for serious things missed by the ref but seen by everyone on line after the or during the game.

Agree and a post match review would mean red card over turned and Hirst suspended, win win in my book.

spot on

RE: Appeal red card ? - DeepBlue - 08-02-2022

Anyone know what time the Morrell appeal will be heard ?   It's getting a bit late for team preparation for tonight.

RE: Appeal red card ? - pushbike_pete_PFC - 08-02-2022

(08-02-2022, 03:38 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: Anyone know what time the Morrell appeal will be heard ?   It's getting a bit late for team preparation for tonight.

No news as far as I can find, and, yes, it's very late in the day.. I see Bolton's captain Ricardo Santos has his red card that he got on Saturday rescinded... and he's available for Bolton's game tonight.... so will be pissed off if Morrell's appeal isn't sorted today..

RE: Appeal red card ? - bluetagagain - 08-02-2022

Apparently DC thinks a decision will be made late afternoon , early evening as he got the appeal in on time, so if its successful then Morrell could play this evening.

RE: Appeal red card ? - briefcase_wanchor - 08-02-2022

They know the result but are keeping it under wraps until they have to release the team sheet.

RE: Appeal red card ? - Rocketman - 08-02-2022

Appeal Dismissed.

RE: Appeal red card ? - Northstander - 08-02-2022

The appeal failed

RE: Appeal red card ? - mikey393 - 08-02-2022

Typical,supporting a rubbish ref who didn't see the incident!