TrueBlueArmy Forums
Hayden Carter - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Hayden Carter (/showthread.php?tid=1532)

Hayden Carter - Pompeyloyal - 08-02-2022

An Excellent addition

RE: Hayden Carter - Rocketman - 08-02-2022

Absolutely. Hume pretty OK too. Would like to have seen O'Brian on for 15-20 mins (for Walker, who did absolutely nothing all game except blow two chances)

RE: Hayden Carter - Hermann's_no_hermit - 08-02-2022

I've been pleasantly surprised by Hume and Carter. Just need the strikers to start scoring now.

RE: Hayden Carter - Hammie - 08-02-2022

actually the permanent signings have been pretty good individually, the loans have been as hit and miss as they always are. Maybe by September as our own team emerges from the massive changes we might be a decent side.

RE: Hayden Carter - The Realist - 09-02-2022

Carter and Ogilvie looked really solid last night and its good to see Pompey central defenders with the ability to carry the ball and not just hoof it. Got to say Raggett also looks much better this season playing alongside a calm and organised defence.

RE: Hayden Carter - DeepBlue - 09-02-2022

(09-02-2022, 09:29 AM)The Realist Wrote: Carter and Ogilvie looked really solid last night and its good to see Pompey central defenders with the ability to carry the ball and not just hoof it.  Got to say Raggett also looks much better this season playing alongside a calm and organised defence.

Agreed. Three at the back seems to suit all three of them very well and is worth keeping for that reason especially now we have two wing backs.  I know it makes it hard to fit Curtis in (although he did quite well last night playing wide right), but I think I'd rather build the team around a sound defence than a hit and miss player like Curtis. 

And I thought Raggett looked pretty good last season too. He & Whatmough were are very good combination, and he scored more goals last season.

RE: Hayden Carter - Cunninglinguist - 09-02-2022

Really enjoyed Carter’s mazy run. When a centre half surges forward, like that, it creates absolute mayhem amongst the opposition. Haven’t seen it happen much since Matt Clarke went.

RE: Hayden Carter - Hammie - 09-02-2022

I'd forgotten those Clarke runs, great player for so many reasons.

RE: Hayden Carter - slayer - 09-02-2022

Baz, Romeo, Morrell, Hume, Carter.

Cowley signings getting the thumbs up from me

I'd agree, the permanent signings are looking pretty good. He did promise not to sign players for the sake of numbers and pretty much seems to be sticking to that. Some little green shoots maybe starting to emerge.

The loans are a mixed bunch but that's always the case with young loanees I'd say.

(09-02-2022, 12:39 PM)Hammie Wrote: I'd agree, the permanent signings are looking pretty good. He did promise not to sign players for the sake of numbers and pretty much seems to be sticking to that. Some little green shoots maybe starting to emerge.

The loans are a mixed bunch but that's always the case with young loanees I'd say.

Yea, but only two of those 5 are permanent signings. 

I'd add Ogilvie & Robertson to the good permanent signing list, with only Williams & Tunnicliffe as only partial successes.

as you say even the disappointments are not disasters

RE: Hayden Carter - bluetagagain - 09-02-2022

Just a pity he can’t sign a decent striker

RE: Hayden Carter - Pompeyloyal - 09-02-2022

(09-02-2022, 01:12 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: Just a pity he can’t sit a decent striker

Walker has scored goals at this level - give them some time & see what they can do I say

I’m all for that , I’m just dreaming of the days when we had actual strikers who scared the opposition, it’s a good 15 yrs since that happened . Tubs,Chaplin etc we’re ok but prolific or putting the fear of god into our opponents.

RE: Hayden Carter - slayer - 09-02-2022

We didn't have a goalscorer that ran away with goals when we won League 2, to be fair.

Even now, Doyle's style of play and contribution is poorly appreciated.

(09-02-2022, 01:45 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: I’m all for that , I’m just dreaming of the days when we had actual strikers who scared the opposition, it’s a good 15 yrs since that happened . Tubs,Chaplin etc we’re ok but prolific or putting the fear of god into our opponents.

pitman was here 2017-2020 I would imagine that opponents were pretty wary of him when we played him regularly, not that it made for our most effective team. 
we do have one goalscorer that frightens teams right now, Raggetino! Just don't mess around with corner line up routines, just let him focus on getting the first header from a decent cross(probably by Jacobs)

The only thing that frightened me about Pitman was if he was going to have a cardiac. IMO he wasn't fit to lace the boots of some of the strikers we've had in the past even in the lower leagues.

(09-02-2022, 03:49 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: The only thing that frightened me about Pitman was if he was going to have a cardiac. IMO he wasn't fit to lace the boots of some of the strikers we've had in the past even in the lower leagues.

Pitman was pretty good for a season for us, but then his legs went and he was quite rightly dropped because he was no longer fit enough to play every week. His unwillingness to recognise that fact led to the bust up and being bombed out whereas with a different attitude he could have continued playing an important role in cameo appearances. 

Rumour has it that he also used to upset the younger members of the squad with his attitude towards them (this was visible on the pitch with Curtis) and this will not have helped him when it came to being bombed out by Jackett.