TrueBlueArmy Forums
If in 2 years time we are still in league 1 - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: If in 2 years time we are still in league 1 (/showthread.php?tid=1533)

If in 2 years time we are still in league 1 - Pompeyloyal - 08-02-2022

But have a better slightly bigger stadium & improved training facilities also remain debt free 

That’s progress right - can we complain too much?

RE: If in 2 years time we are still in league 1 - Pedalo_menders - 08-02-2022

It's all relative, isn't it. If all the other clubs go tips up and we are the big swinging schlongs of L1, then yes, it will be progress.

But if teams like scummers, Brighton, Bournemouth, Plymouth, continue to outpace us, and widen the gap, then no. It won't be progress.

RE: If in 2 years time we are still in league 1 - slayer - 09-02-2022

It is, in the grand scheme of things.

We just need to always have something to play for, be it promotion or survival.

We can't accept being mid table, it is boring

RE: If in 2 years time we are still in league 1 - Hammie - 09-02-2022

mentioning Plymouth seems pertinent to me. They were as bust as we were a couple of year before we went down that route. They redeveloped their main stand a couple of years before we finally got started on the ground.
So lets hope our team picks up in a similar time frame.

RE: If in 2 years time we are still in league 1 - Cunninglinguist - 09-02-2022

Chuckle. I don't mind a relegation scrap, as long as we stay up. A last ditch survival has made for some great memories.

RE: If in 2 years time we are still in league 1 - Pompeyloyal - 09-02-2022

Do we wish the owners to push harder & accumulate some debt - how much debt is acceptable?

Are the owners too safe?

RE: If in 2 years time we are still in league 1 - Pompeyg100 - 09-02-2022

If they didn’t do the stadium fans would moan. Imagine being in the champ with parts of the ground closed.

DC will have told them he loves the loan market, bringing youngsters through, he made Smith-Rowe the player he is don’t ya know.

I don’t believe our league position is because of the wage budget.

RE: If in 2 years time we are still in league 1 - MiltonPFC - 09-02-2022

Can we build a team capable of securing automatic promotion in 2 years ?

I guess it depends on the size of investment available for the playing squad during that time

RE: If in 2 years time we are still in league 1 - Hammie - 09-02-2022

(09-02-2022, 02:52 PM)MiltonPFC Wrote: Can we build a team capable of securing automatic promotion in 2 years ?

I guess it depends on the size of investment available for the playing squad during that time

perhaps
although splashing cash has not served Sunderland well more than once whereas Wycombe ......

RE: If in 2 years time we are still in league 1 - MiltonPFC - 09-02-2022

Totally agree that splashing the cash is no guarantee of success … but clearly we need a more competitive budget to have a chance of securing a top 6 (or even top 2!) finish … especially given we are currently unable to afford an emergency midfielder

(09-02-2022, 05:35 PM)MiltonPFC Wrote: Totally agree that splashing the cash is no guarantee of success … but clearly we need a more competitive budget to have a chance of securing a top 6 (or even top 2!) finish … especially given we are currently unable to afford an emergency midfielder

Funny thing is DC said he wouldn’t use free agents. We didn’t need O’Brien and could have used that money to get someone else in.

RE: If in 2 years time we are still in league 1 - DeepBlue - 09-02-2022

(09-02-2022, 06:46 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:
(09-02-2022, 05:35 PM)MiltonPFC Wrote: Totally agree that splashing the cash is no guarantee of success … but clearly we need a more competitive budget to have a chance of securing a top 6 (or even top 2!) finish … especially given we are currently unable to afford an emergency midfielder

Funny thing is DC said he wouldn’t use free agents. We didn’t need O’Brien and could have used that money to get someone else in.

Didn't need O'Brien ?  We only had two strikers and everyone was crying out for him to sign another, and poo-pooed his attempts to sign another midfielder because we had lots of them. Persuading O,Brien to leave Sunderland on a short-term contract only on less money was quite a an achievement.

RE: If in 2 years time we are still in league 1 - Pompeyloyal - 09-02-2022

(09-02-2022, 08:18 AM)Hammie Wrote: mentioning Plymouth seems pertinent to me. They were as bust as we were a couple of year before we went down that route. They redeveloped their main stand a couple of years before we finally got started on the ground.
So lets hope our team picks up in a similar time frame.

Tornante have put 2 new roofs on & other bits’n’pieces before startin the present works that are ongoing 

Once ME is refurbed virtually every seat in the house would’ve been renewed I believe

(09-02-2022, 06:57 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(09-02-2022, 06:46 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

Didn't need O'Brien ?  We only had two strikers and everyone was crying out for him to sign another, and poo-pooed his attempts to sign another midfielder because we had lots of them. Persuading O,Brien to leave Sunderland on a short-term contract only on less money was quite a an achievement.

The striker who isn’t a striker though according to DC? He’s an 8.34 who can play 7.39 role if required I believe. Personally I see him more in the 8.97 role myself.

And it was a goal scorer that people were crying out for, he signed O’Brien instead