TrueBlueArmy Forums
M. Smith - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: M. Smith (/showthread.php?tid=1549)

Pages: 1 2

RE: M. Smith - Cunninglinguist - 15-02-2022

He’s being paid top dollar and doesn’t have the right to be given time.

We don’t have the time!!!!!

RE: M. Smith - exgaffer - 15-02-2022

(15-02-2022, 12:56 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: He’s being paid top dollar and doesn’t have the right to be given time.

Well we won’t have any choice about the time thing Cunning.

You don’t seriously think we are going up this season do you?

RE: M. Smith - Pompeyloyal - 15-02-2022

(15-02-2022, 12:56 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: He’s being paid top dollar and doesn’t have the right to be given time.

All players deserve time - give lad a chance 

He certainly needs to show more than he is thou

RE: M. Smith - Cunninglinguist - 15-02-2022

Not on this occasion, Loyal. He’s been brought in, on high wages, to score goals, nothing more. This isn’t a season long loan, like Hirst has had. There is no time to improve. Scoring his first goal, in a hat trick, on the last day of the season, is of absolutely no worth to us at all. If he was here on a permanent deal that would be a different kettle of fish.
His honeymoon period is now over!

It’s the same deal with O’Brien but he’s scored already and he’s supposed to be second fiddle.

Are you willing to pay more wages to a striker who isn’t scoring or a striker who is? Which one are you going to start in games??????

RE: M. Smith - Isaac Hunt - 15-02-2022

mmmmmmm

RE: M. Smith - TBP - 15-02-2022

Unfortunately, he seems to be Cowley's flavour of the month, or he's guaranteed first team football. Either way, I suspect we are going to see a lot more of him.

RE: M. Smith - DeepBlue - 15-02-2022

(15-02-2022, 02:30 PM)TBP Wrote: Unfortunately, he seems to be Cowley's flavour of the month, or he's guaranteed first team football. Either way, I suspect we are going to see a lot more of him.

Guaranteed first team football ??  He dropped him at Oxford.  And substituted him quite early against Charlton & Doncaster.  That hardly makes him flavour of the month, more like giving him a chance to find his feet because he knows what he can do because he scored one every two games last time he managed him.

RE: M. Smith - Hammie - 15-02-2022

with his record he seems persevering with.
However it works, we seem to have three quite decent strikers, so perm 2 from 3 and give them a chance to get on with it.

RE: M. Smith - briefcase_wanchor - 15-02-2022

Because of the mooolah being spunked on young Walker, it seems that Danny has gambled the remainder of this season on him - his wages seem to be largely the reason why we can't afford any more bodies into the squad. He must have sold him to Cullen/Eisners as someone worth spending a lot on. If so, that's probably why DC is perservering with him - he's praying he comes good. We probably could have got someone else on board at lower wages who may have been (on paper) less prolific. Just shows, life is like a box of chocolates etc.

On the Smith issue, I like the fact he started off shit and has become good. He's earnt his right to remain a pro. It's so often the other way round; someone has a good season then dines out on it for the remainder of his career whilst ripping up absolutely zero trees.

RE: M. Smith - Hammie - 15-02-2022

seems remarkably like Marquis, good record before us, blew the budget. At least in this case it is a short term fix or problem so if it doesn't work out its just a broken season not repaired and we can go again in the summer.

RE: M. Smith - Pedalo_menders - 15-02-2022

Interesring to hear snippets of info coming out of the woodwork about how Lincoln are paying all of Marquis's wages. 2nd hand from Doncaster manager but interesting nonetheless

RE: M. Smith - blueandwight - 15-02-2022

(15-02-2022, 03:20 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: Because of the mooolah being spunked on young Walker, it seems that Danny has gambled the remainder of this season on him - his wages seem to be largely the reason why we can't afford any more bodies into the squad.  He must have sold him to Cullen/Eisners as someone worth spending a lot on.  If so, that's probably why DC is perservering with him - he's praying he comes good.  We probably could have got someone else on board at lower wages who may have been (on paper) less prolific.  Just shows, life is like a box of chocolates etc. 

On the Smith issue, I like the fact he started off shit and has become good. He's earnt his right to remain a pro. It's so often the other way round; someone has a good season then dines out on it for the remainder of his career whilst ripping up absolutely zero trees.

I don't buy all this rubbish about the budget. The main problem about bringing players in, on loan or on a permanent basis, is the owners. I'm tired of hearing how many times they've stepped up to the plate in terms of bringing in players like Morrell and we all have to be so thankful....hasn't anybody thought that the budget was set too low in the first place? Cowley was told, one way or another, to ship out all the high earners/deadwood last month and to the amazement of many fans in the space of a few weeks he managed to do it. At least three of those were on around £5,000 a week. So he did what he was asked and we finished up with a smaller squad and, once again, in some cases, other peoples' under achievers. Cowley has made mistakes but overall he's done a pretty good job, keeping us in the top half of the table, bearing in mind the handicaps he faced at the start of the season. Hopefully we will get key players contracted before they can walk out the door for nothing like they did at the end of last season.

RE: M. Smith - Cunninglinguist - 16-02-2022

I don’t really understand exactly what point you are making but which key contracted players are you talking about?

RE: M. Smith - Pompeyg100 - 16-02-2022

(15-02-2022, 11:41 PM)blueandwight Wrote:
(15-02-2022, 03:20 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: Because of the mooolah being spunked on young Walker, it seems that Danny has gambled the remainder of this season on him - his wages seem to be largely the reason why we can't afford any more bodies into the squad.  He must have sold him to Cullen/Eisners as someone worth spending a lot on.  If so, that's probably why DC is perservering with him - he's praying he comes good.  We probably could have got someone else on board at lower wages who may have been (on paper) less prolific.  Just shows, life is like a box of chocolates etc. 

I don't buy all this rubbish about the budget. The main problem about bringing players in, on loan or on a permanent basis, is the owners. I'm tired of hearing how many times they've stepped up to the plate in terms of bringing in players like Morrell and we all have to be so thankful....hasn't anybody thought that the budget was set too low in the first place? Cowley was told, one way or another, to ship out all the high earners/deadwood last month and to the amazement of many fans in the space of a few weeks he managed to do it. At least three of those were on around £5,000 a week. So he did what he was asked and we finished up with a smaller squad and, once again, in some cases, other peoples' under achievers. Cowley has made mistakes but overall he's done a pretty good job, keeping us in the top half of the table, bearing in mind the handicaps he faced at the start of the season. Hopefully we will get key players contracted before they can walk out the door for nothing like they did at the end of last season.
He spent the money saved on Walker, that’s why we have a smaller squad. All his choice.

RE: M. Smith - DeepBlue - 16-02-2022

(15-02-2022, 08:45 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Interesring to hear snippets of info coming out of the woodwork about how Lincoln are paying all of Marquis's wages. 2nd hand from Doncaster manager but interesting nonetheless

Pedalo ..why on earth would Lincoln not be paying his wages ? He left us and signed for them albeit on a short contract initially but it was not like a loan when we might have paid towards his wages.   

We probably had to pay off some of his contract to make it happen though.

RE: M. Smith - Pompeyloyal - 19-02-2022

(16-02-2022, 11:33 AM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(15-02-2022, 08:45 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Interesring to hear snippets of info coming out of the woodwork about how Lincoln are paying all of Marquis's wages. 2nd hand from Doncaster manager but interesting nonetheless

Pedalo ..why on earth would Lincoln not be paying his wages ? He left us and signed for them albeit on a short contract initially but it was not like a loan when we might have paid towards his wages.   

We probably had to pay off some of his contract to make it happen though.

How weird would it be if we were still payin Marquis’s wages - I think it would be enough to make me actually give up my season ticket lol

Payin some money to pay up his contract I would accept but not that ffs

RE: M. Smith - Cunninglinguist - 19-02-2022

(15-02-2022, 01:16 PM)exgaffer Wrote:

I’m ever the optimist, Gaff

But no.

RE: M. Smith - exgaffer - 19-02-2022

(19-02-2022, 09:39 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:
(15-02-2022, 01:16 PM)exgaffer Wrote:

I’m ever the optimist, Gaff

But no.

Me too Cunning, we all live in hope don’t we? Smile