TrueBlueArmy Forums
Canceling the final game of the season - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Canceling the final game of the season (/showthread.php?tid=1567)

Canceling the final game of the season - stayinupforever - 20-02-2022

All games on the final day are played at the same time to avoid unfair advantage but what happens if the weather is bad again? If a team was involved in promotion or relegation gained would their game postponed?

RE: Canceling the final game of the season - DeepBlue - 20-02-2022

(20-02-2022, 11:55 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: All games on the final day are played at the same time to avoid unfair advantage but what happens if the weather is bad again? If a team was involved in promotion or relegation gained would their game postponed?

Not many games get postponed for bad weather in May, so it's low risk.  But if needed the game would of course be postponed if unsafe to play and played later, and yes  that could give someone an advantage to know what they need but really it only that would only be the same as the other 45 games in the season. 

Thinking about it how many years has the 'everyone plays at the same time' rule been in place for the last game of season ? It wasn't always like that.

RE: Canceling the final game of the season - Hammie - 21-02-2022

only really been a problem since sky started moving games about. As we discussed elsewhere it would be better to move all games for that final game away from 3pm to say 5pm or just allow for one day a season when 3pm sat can be televised.

RE: Canceling the final game of the season - DeepBlue - 21-02-2022

Partly answering my own question FIFA changed their rules in tournaments so all final group games had to be at the same time after a famous 'fix' in the 1982 World Cup when West Germany beat Austria 1-0 in a game when that scoreline was the only one which put both teams through.  Pretty sure the football league rule was after that.

RE: Canceling the final game of the season - Hammie - 21-02-2022

(21-02-2022, 11:15 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: Partly answering my own question FIFA changed their rules in tournaments so all final group games had to be at the same time after a famous 'fix' in the 1982 World Cup when West Germany beat Austria 1-0 in a game when that scoreline was the only one which put both teams through.  Pretty sure the football league rule was after that.

was it 1:0
I remember it as a nil nil with neither side going anywhere near taking a shot or even getting in the other penalty area! Its a long time ago and my memory might be faulty of course!

RE: Canceling the final game of the season - stayinupforever - 21-02-2022

I remember that.Shocking cheating.

RE: Canceling the final game of the season - Isaac Hunt - 21-02-2022

I remember being at the match Coventry v Bristol City being the last day of the season 1977.
Both could have been relegated, but in the end ,(as the start of the Coventry game was delayed 15 minutes.) Jimmy Hill "inadvertantly" put out over the tannoy that Sunderland had lost and would be relegated if the score stayed at 2-2.
So last 10 minutes was goalie to fullback to goalie etc etc.
Sunderland were not best pleased.

I suppose this could happen again, or if there was an incident during a game leading to long delay.

RE: Canceling the final game of the season - DeepBlue - 21-02-2022

(21-02-2022, 12:03 PM)Hammie Wrote:
(21-02-2022, 11:15 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: Partly answering my own question FIFA changed their rules in tournaments so all final group games had to be at the same time after a famous 'fix' in the 1982 World Cup when West Germany beat Austria 1-0 in a game when that scoreline was the only one which put both teams through.  Pretty sure the football league rule was after that.

I remember it as a nil nil with neither side going anywhere near taking a shot or even getting in the other penalty area! Its a long time ago and my memory might be faulty of course!

Yes it was 1-0.    2-0 wolud have worked too.

Google 'the disgrace of Gijon'.

RE: Canceling the final game of the season - 66zoolane - 21-02-2022

(21-02-2022, 04:08 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(21-02-2022, 12:03 PM)Hammie Wrote:

Yes it was 1-0.    2-0 wolud have worked too.

Google 'the disgrace of Gijon'.

'Crowd were chanting "¡Que se besen" ("Let them kiss!")'