TrueBlueArmy Forums
Unsetting the side - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Unsetting the side (/showthread.php?tid=158)

Unsetting the side - slayer - 28-01-2021

We have a lot of new faces.

If Ken tries putting them all in at once like before, I think we have to adopt the mindset that we are a new side and will take about six games to meld.

Does changing too much to fast derail our automatic promotion hopes?

I am happy enough with Daniels goimg straight into the team but I have misgivings with the midfield being totally changed

RE: Unsetting the side - DeepBlue - 28-01-2021

(28-01-2021, 01:51 PM)scumslayer Wrote: We have a lot of new faces.

If Ken tries putting them all in at once like before, I think we have to adopt the mindset that we are a new side and will take about six games to meld.

I am happy enough with Daniels goimg straight into the team but I have misgivings with the midfield being totally changed

No reason to suppose the loan players will replace Naylor or Cannon, although the defeats may make him look for change. But they will have been signed as backup, to strengthen the squad which will need a lot of depth with so many games to play is a short period of time. 

But I'd play Daniels & Jacobs for Brown & Curtis this weekend.

RE: Unsetting the side - bluetagagain - 28-01-2021

I do feel cannons place could be under threat from Byers. Although Cannon's commitment and enthusiasm is first class,there's not really any end product. The same could be said for Williams who is being played up front in a work rate in exhange for goals scenario.

RE: Unsetting the side - Peter_Mellor's_Got_No_Hair - 28-01-2021

(28-01-2021, 03:20 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: I do feel cannons place could be under threat from Byers. Although Cannon's commitment and enthusiasm is first class,there's not really any end product. The same could be said for Williams who is being played up front in a work rate in exhange for goals scenario.

I agree, and would add that all of their places are up for grabs, bar the keeper and Naylor at the moment.

There is a risk that it could upset the squad, but laying in 5th place off the back of two defeats has given KJ a perfect reason to make changes. I've not seen enough of the new boys to know what they are like (hopefully KJ has), but on paper a premier league youngster, championship player back from injury having broken into the team and a player with championship and premier experience in recent years, don't appear to be back up players, brought here to sit as cover on the bench.

RE: Unsetting the side - mikey393 - 28-01-2021

(28-01-2021, 02:52 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(28-01-2021, 01:51 PM)scumslayer Wrote: We have a lot of new faces.

No reason to suppose the loan players will replace Naylor or Cannon, although the defeats may make him look for change. But they will have been signed as backup, to strengthen the squad which will need a lot of depth with so many games to play is a short period of time. 

But I'd play Daniels & Jacobs for Brown & Curtis this weekend.

Agreed on the changes Deep.

RE: Unsetting the side - Rocketman - 28-01-2021

I am really worried - I agree completely with what Scumslayer said above ;-)
In addition, would like to see a bit more of Byers before we know if he's a replacement or just back-up.

RE: Unsetting the side - bluetagagain - 28-01-2021

It ain't gonna happen, but
McG
Johnson Rasmus,Raggett,Daniels
Harness ( or Williams) , Naylor, Byers, Jacobs
Hiwula Marquis

Whats the point in signing a squad if you just use the same X1 and only change through injury.

RE: Unsetting the side - DeepBlue - 29-01-2021

(28-01-2021, 10:02 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: It ain't gonna happen, but
McG
Johnson Rasmus,Raggett,Daniels
Harness ( or Williams) , Naylor, Byers, Jacobs
Hiwula Marquis

Whats the point in signing a squad if you just use the same X1 and only change through injury.

Being able to use the same squad of 18 for every match with no injuries would be every managers dream scenario, but with injuries and suspension (and in our case chronic loss of form) and fixture congestion you need depth in reserve.

Having players in reserve is the point of having a squad. And using loan players and short term freebie contracts from the jobcentre to fill those reserve spots is a perfect use of the system, especially when they are of decent quality like our current bunch.  IMO, having more than two regular places in the team filled by loan players weakens team spirit and unity (though it's not so bad when they are season long loans like Clarke, Raggett & Thompson) because when it comes to the crunch games you need players whose futures are fully dependant on the performance they give, not who are going back to their host club no matter what happens.

RE: Unsetting the side - bluetagagain - 29-01-2021

Fair points Deep but I just thought maybe shaking it up for a game would re- energise those that have gone of the boil of which there are 4 or 5 ( mainly our attacking/ flair players).

RE: Unsetting the side - DeepBlue - 29-01-2021

(29-01-2021, 10:44 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: Fair points Deep but I just thought maybe shaking it up for a game would re- energise those that have gone of the boil of which there are 4 or 5 ( mainly our attacking/ flair players).

I'd agree with giving Curtis a break ...he is probably not fully over Covid. 

The only other player 'off the boil' is possibly Harness, but as Whittingham always points out he always puts in a good shift even if the end product is missing for a game or two.  I actually think Harness has been disappointed not to keep the more central role that went to Williams eventually and that had affected his form for a while, but he is arguably the most talented forward we have and I would persevere with him.

I don't agree with those that say Marquis is off form just because he isn't scoring as much. I think his contribution to the team has been immense this season, and he never stops working his socks off.  A completely different attitude to last season.

RE: Unsetting the side - exgaffer - 29-01-2021

I’d play Williams every time, we look flat without him. 

Daniels looks a class act an should go straight in IMO.

We are coming off two very disappointing results, so we could do with a bit of a shake up. We haven’t looked much like scoring have we? Harrison couldn’t hit a barn door from 5 yards and Marquis misses the easy ones far too often. I’d give Jordy Hiwula a run in the side.

Curtis and Harness have been quiet lately and need to buck their ideas up sharpish.

RE: Unsetting the side - slayer - 29-01-2021

On reflection I find myself agreeing that the squad have given Ken every excuse.

I just hope he picks a pairing early and gives it time rather than chopping and changing.

Daniels is a no brainer but we can't have a revolving door in the centre of the park every game or it will fuck us

RE: Unsetting the side - Isaac Hunt - 29-01-2021

I will feel sorry for Lee Brown if Daniels gets the nod

RE: Unsetting the side - ForeverPompey - 29-01-2021

(29-01-2021, 03:15 PM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: I will feel sorry for Lee Brown if Daniels gets the nod

Agreed. Daniels may well be the better player (I don't actually know as I've never knowingly seen him play) but Brown has done little wrong and is a big presence in the side. Marquis i also think has put in a decent shift with little or no chances put his way. A much better effort than last season. That said, if freshening the team up brings rewards then good news.