TrueBlueArmy Forums
Ogilvie - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Ogilvie (/showthread.php?tid=1601)

Ogilvie - stayinupforever - 27-02-2022

Should be playing instead of Robertson. Solid and dependable.

RE: Ogilvie - dsmg - 27-02-2022

TBF I thought Robertson played well yesterday, about his best game for us. He’s got a good left foot. Agreed that Ogilvie is unlucky as he’s hardly put a foot wrong except for missing a couple of sitters.

RE: Ogilvie - blueandwight - 27-02-2022

I've tried to be positive and constructive about the Cowleys but it is clear that the build-up to yesterday from their perspective was about the perceived threat offered by little Fleetwood rather than what we were going to do winning the game straight from the kick-off. Quite frankly the team selection and tactical approach beggared belief and that is underlined by the treatment of Ogilvy who, in my view, is arguably the best player we've brought in all season. He is versatile, consistent and reliable. He is a quality central defender and, we are told, an excellent left-back but he doesn't suit Cowley's preferred formation...quite frankly a complete nonsense! It's plain to see that he can defend and defend exceptionally well at this level whereas Hume (perhaps good going forward) can't. In fairness the Mackems warned us. There were so many aspects wrong with yesterday's selection and one obvious hideous error was starting Walker ahead of both O'Brien and Hirst; that was bizarre and inexcusable.

RE: Ogilvie - exgaffer - 27-02-2022

I agree, Ogilvie should start, as should O’Brian.

The team selection at the moment is mystifying and it seems the Cowleys are too obsessed with over analysing everything. They are also too slow to change things in a timely fashion when their strategy is clearly not working.

Pretty much all the danger Fleetwood posed was coming down our left flank and this was obvious from the first minutes. We should have remedied this early on, then we wouldn’t have gone 3-0 down.

What was Bazunu doing for their third one by the way? It went right through him.

RE: Ogilvie - DeepBlue - 27-02-2022

Robertson & Ogilvie are both very good players and two of DC's best signings.   

Robertson is more of a natural centre back than Ogilvie, who can also play well there but is a left back first and foremost, and Robertson is more of a leader of the defence so I can see why he got the nod over Ogilvie for the CB role. And it proved the right decision becase Robertson had a very good game. 

But on the evidence of yesterday Hume is not as good at left back in a back four as he is at left wing back so in hindsight he should have played Ogilvie there.

RE: Ogilvie - ForeverPompey - 27-02-2022

Robertson is a good player but has looked a little off the pace after a long lay off. Ogilvie is totally dependable and certainly unlucky to have been dropped. I would have him in at left back if we are going back to a back 4 as Hume is dreadful in that role.

(27-02-2022, 11:39 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: Robertson & Ogilvie are both very good players and two of DC's best signings.   

Robertson is more of a natural centre back than Ogilvie, who can also play well there but is a left back first and foremost, and Robertson is more of a leader of the defence so I can see why he got the nod over Ogilvie for the CB role. And it proved the right decision becase Robertson had a very good game. 

But on the evidence of yesterday Hume is not as good at left back in a back four as he is at left wing back so in hindsight he should have played Ogilvie there.

Yes that’s spot on about Hume Deep, he’s more of a winger than a defender, hence our exposure down that flank yesterday.

RE: Ogilvie - Pompeyg100 - 27-02-2022

(27-02-2022, 12:15 PM)exgaffer Wrote:
(27-02-2022, 11:39 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: Robertson & Ogilvie are both very good players and two of DC's best signings.   

Yes that’s spot on about Hume Deep, he’s more of a winger than a defender, hence our exposure down that flank yesterday.

But DC would have known this wouldn’t he?

RE: Ogilvie - Hammie - 27-02-2022

(27-02-2022, 11:07 AM)exgaffer Wrote: I agree, Ogilvie should start, as should O’Brian.

The team selection at the moment is mystifying and it seems the Cowleys are too obsessed with over analysing everything. They are also too slow to change things in a timely fashion when their strategy is clearly not working.

Pretty much all the danger Fleetwood posed was coming down our left flank and this was obvious from the first minutes. We should have remedied this early on, then we wouldn’t have gone 3-0 down.

What was Bazunu doing for their third one by the way? It went right through him.

Slow to make the obvious change at left back as it would hurt the feelings of the winger playing there. 
Handy for Baz now, he knows he will play every single game unless his head falls off. Last season he was "rested" several times at Rochdale. Very few young keepers can handle the week in week out play, he seems to be falling off to me. His much fanfared distribution seems to have gone missing too.

Hume is not a winger .. he's never played as a winger.

He is a left back or left wing back, and on the evidence so far he is better in the wing back role.

(27-02-2022, 05:02 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: Hume is not a winger .. he's never played as a winger.

He is a left back or left wing back, and on the evidence so far he is better in the wing back role.

Trying to get all technical Deep?

Well he certainly can’t defend, so that just leaves the attacking side.

He’s a fucking winger.

(27-02-2022, 05:02 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: Hume is not a winger .. he's never played as a winger.

He might identify as a left back but he isn’t one.

(27-02-2022, 05:09 PM)exgaffer Wrote:

He’s a fucking winger.

Is he bollocks.  Curtis is a winger and you wouldn't play him as wing back. 

Since when has differentiating between left back, left wing back and left winger been in any way technical. My three year grandson could tell you the difference.

(27-02-2022, 05:58 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:

He’s a fucking winger.

Since when has differentiating between left back, left wing back and left winger been in any way technical. My three year grandson could tell you the difference.

Harness is a winger and you wouldn’t play him as wing back, oh hang on DC would.

RE: Ogilvie - Jizbag - 27-02-2022

He played Harness at wing back the other day...that was bizarre!!

(27-02-2022, 05:58 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:

He’s a fucking winger.

Ha ha ha, a bit touchy Deep.

You are being pedantic, not like you  Smile .

You have left sided defenders, left sided midfielders and left sided attacking players, that’s it.

Lots of full backs get forward a lot but they are not wing backs.

Curtis doesn’t play like an orthodox winger, most of the time he cuts in and takes on the shot himself.

Hume is a left sided wide player who doesn’t do any ‘back’ play worthy of the name, so he is a left sided wide player who likes to get forward, a winger.

I suspect your three year old grandson has s better grasp of this than you.

You've agreed with me in your own argument FFS ...

"left sided defenders, left sided midfielders and left sided attackers". Absolutely.

Hume has played as a left sided defender and as a left sided midfielder, but not as a left sided attacker .

(27-02-2022, 07:14 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: You've agreed with me in your own argument FFS  ...

"left sided defenders, left sided midfielders and left sided attackers".  Absolutely.

Hume has played as a left sided defender and as a left sided midfielder, but not as a left sided attacker .

He is not a left sided defender. Remember when Jamie Vincent used to get dogs abuse when he was played as a wingback? “He doesn’t get forward at all” no because he was a brilliant left back and getting forward wasn’t his game.