TrueBlueArmy Forums
Raggers - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Raggers (/showthread.php?tid=1610)

Raggers - dsmg - 02-03-2022

What a star. 100 games already for us, never gets injured despite throwing himself about like a lunatic. Last week was incredible when he fell three feet over the wall onto concrete. Most would have been carried off or taken at least three minutes to recover. He just rubbed his back, dusted himself off and got on with it.
In fact last night he was at fault for their first goal as he let Browne get past him too easily but he more than made up for it with a great header to get us back in the game and then went on to clear and block loads of crosses. He has improved so much since those first ten games or so. I remember thinking who is this guy who seems to run like a duck and look anything but a professional footballer. Now he’s the first on the team sheet. Pompey love people who try and give their all and he certainly does that. He wins about 95% of aerial duels, seems to virtually always be in the right place to cut out crosses, brings the ball out relatively well, does the occasional Cruyff turn and chips in with a good number of goals. Yes, he makes the occasional error but he’s involved so much that that is inevitable. He’s a model pro who is in every battle without complaining, leads by example and never gives up. A man mountain. A colossus.
Good on yer Raggers, we’re lucky to have you. Andy Moon mentioned last night that he’s had his famous Lincoln FA Cup goal immortalised on a postage stamp. He’s got his recognition at last.

RE: Raggers - Gerry Hatrick - 02-03-2022

Look like Raggers gets your....(ehem)....stamp...of approval there.

RE: Raggers - briefcase_wanchor - 02-03-2022

I wonder if any other Bond villains have been immortalised by the Royal Mail.

RE: Raggers - firqdays - 02-03-2022

Rags bloody brilliant, must have some Rugby spores in his genes ..... and less Prima-Dona !

RE: Raggers - TBP - 02-03-2022

(02-03-2022, 05:50 AM)dsmg Wrote: What a star. 100 games already for us, never gets injured despite throwing himself about like a lunatic. Last week was incredible when he fell three feet over the wall onto concrete. Most would have been carried off or taken at least three minutes to recover. He just rubbed his back, dusted himself off and got on with it.
In fact last night he was at fault for their first goal as he let Browne get past him too easily but he more than made up for it with a great header to get us back in the game and then went on to clear and block loads of crosses. He has improved so much since those first ten games or so. I remember thinking who is this guy who seems to run like a duck and look anything but a professional footballer. Now he’s the first on the team sheet. Pompey love people who try and give their all and he certainly does that. He wins about 95% of aerial duels, seems to virtually always be in the right place to cut out crosses, brings the ball out relatively well, does the occasional Cruyff turn and chips in with a good number of goals. Yes, he makes the occasional error but he’s involved so much that that is inevitable. He’s a model pro who is in every battle without complaining, leads by example and never gives up. A man mountain. A colossus.
Good on yer Raggers, we’re lucky to have you. Andy Moon mentioned last night that he’s had his famous Lincoln FA Cup goal immortalised on a postage stamp. He’s got his recognition at last.

Actually, it was Carter's error that let the man in. Raggett was desperately trying to cover for him.

RE: Raggers - dsmg - 02-03-2022

Yeah, but he did a step over and waltzed past my hero like he wasn’t there.

RE: Raggers - Milton Mick - 02-03-2022

(02-03-2022, 10:45 AM)dsmg Wrote: Yeah, but he did a step over and waltzed past my hero like he wasn’t there.

I would have hoped that Baz would have tried to make himself big and cover his near post instead of going with his foot, sometimes I think he forgets he's the Goalkeeper and can use more than his feet.

(02-03-2022, 11:20 AM)Milton Mick Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 10:45 AM)dsmg Wrote: Yeah, but he did a step over and waltzed past my hero like he wasn’t there.

I would have hoped that Baz would have tried to make himself big and cover his near post instead of going with his foot, sometimes I think he forgets he's the Goalkeeper and can use more than his feet.

He's not been the same keeper since Bass went out on loan. Webber is an absolute novice and no competition for him. His record pre/post New Year offers a stark contrast. When Bass was here there was nothing between them but now Bass would be clearly the better keeper. Webber is never going to get a game so it's a complete waste of time other than an emergency back up.

RE: Raggers - slayer - 02-03-2022

Disagree Gerry, think we needed to get Bass out to play this year so he can be number 1 and be ready next year. Being pushed cuts both ways does it not? Happy enough to take the hit on a Bazunu performance if that levels Bass up ready for next year's promotion push.

RE: Raggers - DeepBlue - 02-03-2022

(02-03-2022, 05:16 PM)scumslayer Wrote: Disagree Gerry, think we needed to get Bass out to play this year so he can be number 1 and be ready next year. Being pushed cuts both ways does it not? Happy enough to take the hit on a Bazunu performance if that levels Bass up ready for next year's promotion push.

agreed.

But anyway it is impossible to prove any cause and effect between Bass goiing and Bazanu making a couple of mistakes.
Bazanu is a young 19 year old keeper and will make mistakes ...he made a few in the first half of the season too and no-one was looking for reasons then.

RE: Raggers - Pedalo_menders - 02-03-2022

Bass should have been starting every Pompey game this season. How is he supposed to build up an understanding with the CB's when he is hundreds of miles away in Bradford?

Very shortsighted from Cowley this one.

RE: Raggers - Isaac Hunt - 02-03-2022

(02-03-2022, 06:25 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 05:16 PM)scumslayer Wrote: Disagree Gerry, think we needed to get Bass out to play this year so he can be number 1 and be ready next year. Being pushed cuts both ways does it not? Happy enough to take the hit on a Bazunu performance if that levels Bass up ready for next year's promotion push.

agreed.

But anyway it is impossible to prove any cause and effect between Bass goiing and Bazanu making a couple of mistakes.
Bazanu is a young 19 year old keeper and will make mistakes ...he made a few in the first half of the season too and no-one was looking for reasons then.
20 I believe

Just looked at the stats and Baz has conceded 15 in 13 league games this year compared to 7 in the 13 games before Bass went on loan. Quite a difference. And while he made a couple of smart saves - one last night and another against Burton, he has been guilty of poor judgement with increasing frequency. The third goal against Fleetwood comes to mind, the flapping at that Shrewsbury cross a week ago and the late winner against Oxford at their place comes to mind. 

While he set very high standards last year, they have definitely dropped and you have to wonder if the absence of any meaningful competition has been a factor.

RE: Raggers - Hammie - 02-03-2022

I've seen some great saves and some mess ups as you would expect given his age.
But what I still don't see is the great distribution that apparently put him clearly ahead of Bass.
I also think Bass is better off of his line.

The two of them would have been a better combo for me, giving Baz some breaks (which to me he needs) and Bass probably as many games over the season as he is getting up north.