TrueBlueArmy Forums
Team Today - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Team Today (/showthread.php?tid=1672)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Team Today - Northstander - 20-03-2022

(19-03-2022, 05:13 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: Seeing Walker chosen ahead of Obrien was enough for me.  No game midweek to worry about saving energy for.  This should have been a full on assault with nothing being left in the tank.  Too slow in the build-up on the flanks yet again.  We allow the oppo to reorganise too often.  And I've not seen a more blatant red card against us for a while.  Another ref out of his depth.  Where do they get them from?

A few thoughts. I totally agree re Walker. He is an expensive waste of space.  Wycombe's 94th minute winner against Fleetwood Tuesday shouldn't have stood and then they get away with that yesterday.  They've had a lucky week for me although Baz thankfully kept them out. As for Refs these guys we get have come through the lower leagues culminating in what I always call the Conference. They get promoted to the Efl if they are deemed good enough but get returned if they aren't.  The Ref yesterday is in his 2nd season on the Efl just doing Div 1 and 2 games. He had officiated Pompey once away last season (Shrewsbury) and the Fleetwood win on the opening day of this season. I wasnt there but I can't remember too many complaints unlike yesterday. From where I sit for me he got the 2 free kicks right that we conceded just outside our box and we thought the Lino on the North stand side got the Hurst offside right in the 2nd half.  (Shame the one we had against Charlton here wasn't as observant). Sadly for Pompey the Ref got the biggest call of the game wrong which ironically led to both Cowleys getting yellow cards. For me Refereeing Standards in both the PL and Efl have never been lower. I'm not bothered about the PL and Var (they have had a shocking season though) but the Efl is concerning. The Efl won't admit that there is a problem and I doubt they will do much to improve it.

RE: Team Today - Northstander - 20-03-2022

(20-03-2022, 10:11 AM)blueandwight Wrote:
(19-03-2022, 04:59 PM)blueinbrum3 Wrote: Total waste of a Saturday afternoon. Nothing positive to take out of the game apart from another defeat preventing performance by Bazunu.

Surprised nobody has raised this before but as anyone though exactly where we'd be in this league without Buzunu?

A ST holder said that to me as we left yesterday. He is going to be hard to replace for sure

RE: Team Today - Pompeyg100 - 20-03-2022

(20-03-2022, 10:44 AM)blueandwight Wrote: I think that the type of criticism of Cowley on social media is a little harsh.
Sure he's made mistakes and continues to make mistakes from a tactical perspective but at the start of the season he had to watch as several of our better players, including he best central defender in the league, walk out the door for nothing at all...something that he had no influence over whatsoever.
Then he had to build a virtually new squad in a matter of weeks without being able to spend virtuallyany kind of fee, at that time an anathema to the Eisners, and paying low wages that meant we struggled to compete even with little clubs in the league that survive on gates of less than ten thousand.
We were then were forced belatedly to spend money on the likes of Morrell and complicated expensive loan deals such as Hirst.
Finally he was told in January that there was no money unless he managed to unload the under acheiving high earners at the club. Incredibly this was done and then he was let down again in terms of the quality/number of new players he was allowed to bring in.
Of course, we continually have to listen to the argument of what might have happened during the Covid period if the Eisners hadn't allegedly put thousnds into the club to keep us afloat. We must be eternally grateful otherwise we could have gone bust like numerous clubs in the EFL...I can't remember how many was that? Oh yeah, precisely none!

Allegedly?! Lol oh dear. You’re right, Cowley is a genius and the Eisners are doing everything to stop him succeeding.

RE: Team Today - DeepBlue - 20-03-2022

I liked that 'allegedly' too !  

I was wondering which fairy godmother moaners like Blue&Wight thought might have paid the wages during the time of no income ?  Answers on a postcard please.  

And why does what happened at other clubs make any difference to that. Owners throughout the country kept their teams afloat but apparently don't deserve any credit because they succeeded and no-one went bust ?? What sort of warped logic is that ?? 

The truth is that the vast majority of clubs may have survived so far but will be paying back the debts incurred for years to some. The difference with the Eisners is they did it (and everything else) without putting any debt on the club ... but let's slag them off because no other teams have gone bust yet.

RE: Team Today - stayinupforever - 21-03-2022

(20-03-2022, 11:57 AM)Northstander Wrote:
(19-03-2022, 05:13 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: Seeing Walker chosen ahead of Obrien was enough for me.  No game midweek to worry about saving energy for.  This should have been a full on assault with nothing being left in the tank.  Too slow in the build-up on the flanks yet again.  We allow the oppo to reorganise too often.  And I've not seen a more blatant red card against us for a while.  Another ref out of his depth.  Where do they get them from?

A few thoughts. I totally agree re Walker. He is an expensive waste of space.  Wycombe's 94th minute winner against Fleetwood Tuesday shouldn't have stood and then they get away with that yesterday.  They've had a lucky week for me although Baz thankfully kept them out. As for Refs these guys we get have come through the lower leagues culminating in what I always call the Conference. They get promoted to the Efl if they are deemed good enough but get returned if they aren't.  The Ref yesterday is in his 2nd season on the Efl just doing Div 1 and 2 games. He had officiated Pompey once away last season (Shrewsbury) and the Fleetwood win on the opening day of this season. I wasnt there but I can't remember too many complaints unlike yesterday. From where I sit for me he got the 2 free kicks right that we conceded just outside our box and we thought the Lino on the North stand side got the Hurst offside right in the 2nd half.  (Shame the one we had against Charlton here wasn't as observant). Sadly for Pompey the Ref got the biggest call of the game wrong which ironically led to both Cowleys getting yellow cards. For me Refereeing Standards in both the PL and Efl have never been lower. I'm not bothered about the PL and Var (they have had a shocking season though) but the Efl is concerning. The Efl won't admit that there is a problem and I doubt they will do much to improve it.

When have you ever seen the PL,EFL or FA come out an actually talk about their referees good or bad? It's a gentleman's club (with women foisted on them by the PC brigade) and by being very secretive they're doing great damage to the game in my view. Too much game stopping for minor injuries during play,allowing cheating and excessive time wasting and sheer incompetence to boot. Enough said?

RE: Team Today - Northstander - 21-03-2022

The PL launched an initiative last month to improve all standards it has been pointed out to me. God knows how long they have in mind for it to take. I totally agree re stoppages, the Wycombe keeper being one on Saturday, that was well stage managed at a time we were getting a modicum of tempo. If Wycombe had scored Saturday it would have been a different game, resorting to "Dark Arts" the use of which the Cowleys aren't innocent. As an example by the middle of Feb in 14 of their 24 Premier League games so far this season, a Scummer player had needed treatment from a physio between the 60th and 70th minute after going down with an injury. However to be fair to Refs if a player goes down with a head injury then he or she has no option but to stop the game. Clubs know that of course and do so as they seem fit.

RE: Team Today - Wightblue - 21-03-2022

How much does a League 1 referee get paid per match ?

Plenty of info about Premiership Referees remuneration but little on lower leagues, the only number I have found, in an admittedly quick search, was £80 plus expenses (which are supposed to be shared with the assistants).

Also seems they have to be at the ground  a minimum of 2 hours before kick off.

Heard a piece on 5Live about the crisis in referee recruitment, way short of the numbers required and getting worse season on season apparently, this does not auger well for the future.

If there is an ongoing crisis in recruitment, it suggests that standards may fall further as the selection pool get smaller.

I think there are a couple of posters on here who have been referees and are therefore able to access the referee blogs and perhaps give me a better understanding of referee rewards and whether the problem of recruitment is as bad as was suggested on 5Live.

RE: Team Today - briefcase_wanchor - 21-03-2022

(21-03-2022, 01:56 PM)Wightblue Wrote: How much does a League 1 referee get paid per match ?

Plenty of info about Premiership Referees remuneration but little on lower leagues, the only number I have found, in an admittedly quick search, was £80 plus expenses (which are supposed to be shared with the assistants).

Also seems they have to be at the ground  a minimum of 2 hours before kick off.

Heard a piece on 5Live about the crisis in referee recruitment, way short of the numbers required and getting worse season on season apparently, this does not auger well for the future.

If there is an ongoing crisis in recruitment, it suggests that standards may fall further as the selection pool get smaller.
I think there are a couple of posters on here who have been referees and are therefore able to access the referee blogs and perhaps give me a better understanding of referee rewards and whether the problem of recruitment is as bad as was suggested on 5Live.

I remember there was a Court case a few years back involving EFL refs.  It was something to do with their tax obligations and whether they should be regarded as employed or self employed.  EPL refs are employed on about 70k+ a year so it didn't effect them.  The Court decided they were not in it for the money (as they all have full time jobs anyway), that it was more like a hobby to them.  May explain a lot.

RE: Team Today - stayinupforever - 21-03-2022

(21-03-2022, 01:06 PM)Northstander Wrote: The PL launched an initiative last month to improve all standards it has been pointed out to me.  God knows how long they have in mind for it to take. I totally agree re stoppages, the Wycombe keeper being one on Saturday, that was well stage managed at a time we were getting a modicum of tempo. If Wycombe had scored Saturday it would have been a different game, resorting to "Dark Arts" the use of which the Cowleys aren't innocent. As an example by the middle of Feb in 14 of their 24 Premier League games so far this season, a Scummer player had needed treatment from a physio between the 60th and 70th minute after going down with an injury. However to be fair to Refs if a player goes down with a head injury then he or she has no option but to stop the game. Clubs know that of course and do so as they seem fit.

If a player goes down with a "head injury" the physio should be on the pitch immediately to stop time wasting. That doesn't happen and players get away with the referee just checking if he's ok or whether the physio is needed. More dreadful gamesmanship.

RE: Team Today - Deebo - 21-03-2022

Forget the money. Go and watch any local league game like the one between my local side and a bunch of arses from Brum last Saturday and you’ll see why they’re struggling with recruitment.

RE: Team Today - exterminator - 21-03-2022

(21-03-2022, 04:37 PM)Deebo Wrote: Forget the money. Go and watch any local league game like the one between my local side and a bunch of arses from Brum last Saturday and you’ll see why they’re struggling with recruitment.

Agreed, I went to AFC Portchester on Saturday who were playing Moneyfields (1-1).

The Moneyfields team gave the referee stick for every decision against them - two of their players were sin-binned for dissent. No wonder the leagues are struggling with referee recruitment, no young nipper would want that kind of stick just for trying to do a job.

Then 10 mins from the end AFC player (who had come on as a sub) got a straight red.

"Temporary Dismissals

Mandatory rule change introduced across all levels of grassroots football. From the 2019-20 season, temporary dismissals also known as 'sin bins' will be introduced across all levels of grassroots football. Players dissent will result in 10-minute temporary dismissals from the pitch"

RE: Team Today - Northstander - 21-03-2022

I found an article 4 years ago Efl Refs (known as National Group) match fee was £600. I think now its £650 plus Te's. I have found an article for the PL (known as Select Group) they are salaried, plus a match fee of £1500 for Ref,/4th Official and £850 for Asst Ref and Video Ref. Select Group 2 Refs who are appointed to Championship games also receive a salary now and match fees. Select Group are appointed to a small number of games in the Championship and Select Group 2 to a small number Div 1 and 2 matches per season. I knew a Linesman from Cornwall. He was appointed then to games at 10 different grounds including Fratton Park. His Te's were quite a lot. He was the North Terrace Linesman the day of our 1983 2.0 promotion clinching win v Southend. The Ref told him he would signal for him to run just before he blew the final whistle as the North Terrace were set to invade our pitch but he forgot lol All the 3 officials made the dressing room safely. There is a massive shortage of Referees indeed. The way they are treated by some clubs at grass root level is disgraceful. Hope that helps someone. In an article Premier League Referee Salaries dated 28 Aug 2021 it says Messrs Atkinson, Dean and Oliver are on £200k per annum (Dean retires this season the Beeb said yesterday)

RE: Team Today - Deebo - 21-03-2022

(21-03-2022, 05:25 PM)exterminator Wrote: The Moneyfields team gave the referee stick for every decision against them - two of their players were sin-binned for dissent. No wonder the leagues are struggling with referee recruitment, no young nipper would want that kind of stick just for trying to do a job.

It sounds exactly like the game I watched. Two straight reds when one of our lads got involved but it must be so frustrating to play against. The funny thing is that’s the second time I’ve seen that lot this season and both times we scored the winner in injury time so 90 mins of abusing the ref got them nowhere in the end. I know the ref - he is over 60 and a survivor of leukaemia so why he wants to spend his Saturdays getting dog’s abuse from the likes of those tossers God only knows. I haven’t seen a ref under 50 up there for years.

Sadly, this sort of crap has been going on for years. A good mate of mine (SC) took his ref exams and passed them at 16 back in the 60s. The first game they gave him was a local derby (but then they’re all local derbies on the IoW ;—) One of the teams scored a goal which was dubious but SC allowed it. With that one of the opposition went berserk - he was a huge bloke and a bouncer in one of the local nightclubs and he refused to kick off again after the goal. Just stood there over the ball threatening anyone who came near and shouting "right who fvcking wants it then?” Some prat goes up to get the ball and the thug boots him on the shin so SC sends him off and he refuses to go so SC has to abandon the game. The ref’s room was between the two dressing rooms and he could hear the thug shouting to his teammates what he was going to do to SC, banging on the wall etc. SC managed to lock himself in his dressing room on his own until the thug had gone but he never reffed another game. He got support from the FA who banned the thug sine die. The thing is sine die meant for life back then and they stuck to it. I am not sure what they’d do now but I have heard a sine die ban can be rescinded. If they had kept that deterrent maybe things would be a little better. Ref’s are pretty well looked after in league games in this regard but I’ve seen some shocking stuff in local games over the years.

I prefer to watch the local rugby club and I never thought I’d prefer eggball to football. Big crowds against biggish clubs, no trouble and they respect the ref no matter how shit a game he has. You often see young refs up there and the game appears to be thriving at that level.

RE: Team Today - Wightblue - 22-03-2022

Deebo

Really interesting post.

5Live did talk about the current violence in football being a huge deterrent, apparently a league in London which has a lot of sides made up of Turkish players is so problematic that referees just refuse to officiate half the games (two of them hospitalised last season).

I didn’t realise but you can pass the exams and referee a game when you are only 14, they get to Ref games because there aren’t enough officials to meet the numbers required (although they are kept out of harms way).

One current National league Referee who phoned in said that if the people who criticise referees so vociferously ever tried to take a game, they would know how unbelievably difficult is not to make mistakes and control players who cheat all through the game.

They also said that ex players rarely, if ever, become referees.

RE: Team Today - briefcase_wanchor - 22-03-2022

I played a lot of Sunday league football, Pompey, Essex, Norfolk and Birmingham. Brum was by far the worst and it was rarely one individual but often a team issue. Simply ban the clubs as well as the players if they have a violence/disciplinary issue. There will be nowhere for these twats to play.

RE: Team Today - Deebo - 22-03-2022

As a final point re Brum sides by far the worst behaved I have seen at our local club was one player-managed by an ex England international who had played Prem football for a top Brum side and was recovering from a well publicised drink drug problem. He bullied the ref at every opportunity by running at him chin out and shouting and waving his hands in the air. The rest of his side behaved the same way no doubt inspired by their illustrious leader. He took a throw in by me and I told him quietly he was a disgrace to the game and he looked at me with a look of utter amazement and then total hatred. I don't think it even occured to him his behaviour was anything other than normal or that someone with his experience had a duty to the game. He's now a TV pundit which says it all.

RE: Team Today - foxleyblue - 22-03-2022

That's the way football has gone nowadays even grass root levels, make me sick!!!

RE: Team Today - Pompeyg100 - 22-03-2022

Half the bloody kids wear gloves and leggings, we used to play in blizzards with only a bit of deep heat slapped on.

RE: Team Today - stayinupforever - 22-03-2022

How did you afford Deep Heat? Anyhow,cold and wet mud never hurt anyone.Bunch of softies today.

RE: Team Today - BilltheCat - 22-03-2022

(22-03-2022, 03:38 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: we used to play in blizzards with only a bit of deep heat slapped on.

In my day it was "Wintergreen". Every dressing room stank of it!

RE: Team Today - Isaac Hunt - 23-03-2022

(22-03-2022, 03:38 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: Half the bloody kids wear gloves and leggings, we used to play in blizzards with only a bit of deep heat slapped on.

Being a goalie  (in pre glove days), my hands used to go numb in cold wet weather. Twas horrible .

RE: Team Today - ForeverPompey - 23-03-2022

Elliman's embrocation.