TrueBlueArmy Forums
So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? (/showthread.php?tid=1674)

Pages: 1 2

So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - BlueArmy - 19-03-2022

Had intended to but don't think I will now.  First home game I missed all season as I didn't want to go especially given how poor we are, its another failed season and the weather was lovely today.

This season again has been very poor. By all accounts we were poor again today from the reports I've read.

Went out with all the family today and had a great time, much more enjoyable than going to FP at the moment as much as it pains me to say it.

I expect st sales will be down next season across the UK as more and more people, at all clubs in the country, find other things to do with their weekends.

This has been another wasted season and we have gone backwards.

I will be choosing which games I want to attend next season and i expect many will be in the same boat.

RE: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - TBP - 19-03-2022

I shall be renewing as, otherwise, I would have nothing to do of a Saturday afternoon. Indeed, I am itching for the season to restart during the summer.

RE: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - BlueArmy - 19-03-2022

(19-03-2022, 06:46 PM)TBP Wrote: I shall be renewing as, otherwise, I would have nothing to do of a Saturday afternoon. Indeed, I am itching for the season to restart during the summer.

Good on you. Respect to all those that renew.

Be interesting to see the st prices. Surely after this season the club cannot increase the st prices?

At worst they should freeze the prices.

RE: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - PompeyDB - 19-03-2022

I'm not renewing, after 15 seasons. It's not all to do with the stagnation on the pitch, there's personal reasons too, but if I thought there was anything to be excited about for next season I'd have a difficult decision about it. But at present there's nothing. I'll be sad to give up my special seat, from which I've supported Pompey in all four divisions, but life moves on.

RE: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - Hammie - 19-03-2022

We have been ST less since the latest grandchildren arrived. I would love to be able to get a regular ticket that gets you a group of say 4 together once a month or so. We really started to find we were going because we had to rather than really looking forward to it.
Made much much worse by the constant rearrangements for international windows and all the other cancellations of late. If it were alternate Saturdays with the odd Tuesday (which I love) I'd be more inclined but the fixture pile ups make it almost impossible to do anything else with grandchildren and all the rest of the extended family.

RE: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - DeepBlue - 19-03-2022

I'll renew as always. 

Nothing, not being owned by criminals, not falling headlong down the league in administration, not having no players on the books days before the season started, not even being charged an arm and a leg to be in the plastic premiership, nothing would ever stop me supporting my team.  

So being a bit average, even a bit unexciting some weeks, certainly won't stop me.

RE: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - Northstander - 19-03-2022

You make a good point Hammie. Where I have been temporarily placed there is a St holder from Bucks and another from Surrey who have said the same. They very rarely do an evening kick off. I have done a count up of this season, given that the Gillingham home game is due to be played on a Saturday, that will be only the 12th Saturday home game (out of 23). Meanwhile 10 have been evening kick offs and the Lincoln game is Good Friday at 3 p.m. (Oxford would have been Boxing Day but was called off due to Covid).

(19-03-2022, 07:32 PM)Northstander Wrote: You make a good point Hammie. Where I have been temporarily placed there is a St holder from Bucks and another from Surrey who have said the same. They very rarely do an evening kick off.  I have done a count up of this season, given that the Gillingham home game is due to be played on a Saturday, that will be only the 12th Saturday home game (out of 23). Meanwhile 10 have been evening kick offs and the Lincoln game is Good Friday at 3 p.m. (Oxford would have been Boxing Day but was called off due to Covid).

I gave up my prem ST years ago for less rearrangements than that!

RE: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - ForeverPompey - 19-03-2022

I will renew as it's part of life... with a little resentment at the total lack of progress and the dire quality of football from almost every team that turns up at FP, ourselves included.

In the old days, we used to buy an aging top league star to boost ST sales. Trouble is now they are all multi millionaires and are not interested in a pay off.
But let's imagine... Who could we get in to boost interest? At least a little reasonably possible pleasse?

RE: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - Northstander - 19-03-2022

Thats a bloody good question Hammie, Shades of Marinello and Scott McGarvey for instance. I dont think one signing would make me interested, a group of good players maybe and less loanees.....Someone asked me tonight who I'd want if the Cowleys went. I haven't a clue lol

RE: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - PompeyDB - 19-03-2022

(19-03-2022, 07:48 PM)Hammie Wrote: In the old days, we used to buy an aging top league star to boost ST sales. Trouble is now they are all multi millionaires and are not interested in a pay off.
But let's imagine... Who could we get in to boost interest? At least a little reasonably possible pleasse?

Yes that's true. When did we last sign someone exciting? I genuinely think that in the last 10 years the only player we've signed that I'd already heard of was Pitman. Is there anyone else?

RE: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - Pompeyg100 - 19-03-2022

(19-03-2022, 07:48 PM)Hammie Wrote: In the old days, we used to buy an aging top league star to boost ST sales. Trouble is now they are all multi millionaires and are not interested in a pay off.

Getting Cowley out would interest me.

RE: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - Cunninglinguist - 19-03-2022

If season ticket renewals were based on how successful the previous season went, 90% percent of the league's supporters would turn the chance down.

People want to be entertained and that doesn't mean their club has to win every week. If success was the only motivation for buying a season ticket then most of the Premier League fans wouldn't bother.

If fans demanded entertainment, rather than results, everyone would be a lot happier.

RE: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - Hammie - 20-03-2022

(19-03-2022, 10:24 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: If season ticket renewals were based on how successful the previous season went, 90% percent of the league's supporters would turn the chance down.

People want to be entertained and that doesn't mean their club has to win every week. If success was the only motivation for buying a season ticket then most of the Premier League fans wouldn't bother.

If fans demanded entertainment, rather than results, everyone would be a lot happier.

Starting with a massive clamp down on organised and coached cheating especially time wasting. Ordering the referees to book every player every time. Booking the captain every time a team goes and celebrates off pitch, quite deliberately delaying the kick off. Baz needing a rub every time the team needs a team talk and all the rest.

RE: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - blueandwight - 20-03-2022

(19-03-2022, 06:51 PM)BlueArmy Wrote:
(19-03-2022, 06:46 PM)TBP Wrote: I shall be renewing as, otherwise, I would have nothing to do of a Saturday afternoon. Indeed, I am itching for the season to restart during the summer.

Be interesting to see the st prices. Surely after this season the club cannot increase the st prices?

More likely to be the other side of the ledger I fear as rumours are that the playing budget will be cut again. Happy days.

RE: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - Wightblue - 20-03-2022

Actually, I don't think it matters whose names are on the STs, it’s how many the club sells.

The UK is about to enter a period of huge energy hikes, prices increases across a wide range of everyday goods and that, as a result, money will be tight, maybe very tight.

I think that in many households an ST will be seen as a questionable expense and most lower league clubs may well suffer a drop-off in ST sales and Pompey may be no exception.

Given that the football on offer at FP for the last 5 seasons has been typical League 1 stuff at best (but always accompanied with the distant prospect of ‘jam tomorrow’ - apparently we’re just one TW away from success), I think a number of ST fans will drift away and rely on Matchday tickets when they fancy a trip to FP.

I would expect ST sales to drop by 1,500 or so, doesn’t seem a lot until you translate it to income, say 1,500 x £300* = £450,000 and against the backdrop of Pompey’s own running costs rising sharply.

With Pompey required to be self sufficient in terms of running costs (with Eisner taking care of Capital expenditure) and gate receipts down, something will have to give…… and the playing budget must be high on the list of cost saving.

* my assumption on next seasons ST cost

RE: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - BilltheCat - 20-03-2022

I shall renew.

For me the day is so much more than the football. Meeting friends for breakfast, catching up with all the people I drink with before and after the game, chatting to other fans on the train back to London and then a "ruby" to end the day.

Frankly the "football" is incidental most Saturdays!!

RE: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - firqdays - 20-03-2022

I shall renew - Pragmatism and Realism and our days in the sun will dawn again!

RE: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - Lawrence - 20-03-2022

I would say get someone to share an ST so you go every alternate week. This enables you to forget just how hopeless our club can be and actually look forward to a game sometimes.

Unfortunately, even that is wearing off for me. I no longer argue over who's turn it is next. Respect anyone who goes to every game. Did it for a while then couldn't bear being taken the piff put of me by the players and the owners. You can only take it for so long.

Nothing changes at this club. It needs a breath of fresh air and ambition. The Eisner's are neither.

RE: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - Pompeyg100 - 20-03-2022

(20-03-2022, 10:01 AM)blueandwight Wrote:
(19-03-2022, 06:51 PM)BlueArmy Wrote:

More likely to be the other side of the ledger I fear as rumours are that the playing budget will be cut again. Happy days.
What do you mean ‘cut again’ when was it last cut? It’s been increased season on season so not sure where you get your info from.

RE: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - BlueArmy - 20-03-2022

At least the ground will be a bit better next season. South stand will be done. Whether investment will be made into the team we shall see. Still need a capacity of 25k or 30k in asap.

I suspect a lot of people will leave it until the last minute whether to renew depending on how the club act over the summer.

RE: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - kindofblue - 20-03-2022

There’ve been enough big goal games (for and against) this season to make it vaguely interesting and an uptick on Jacketball. There’s been dross, but how many of us sit through hours of streamed bilge on tv thinking wtf am I doing? Maybe the world’s pool of limitless enjoyment and entertainment is in fact …..limited.
Football is the recipient of so much emtion and pride that it can rarely pay it back properly. Outside of the prem giants are any fans really happy?

RE: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - Cunninglinguist - 20-03-2022

(20-03-2022, 04:53 PM)kindofblue Wrote: There’ve been enough big goal games (for and against) this season to make it vaguely interesting and an uptick on Jacketball. There’s been dross, but how many of us sit through hours of streamed bilge on tv thinking wtf am I doing? Maybe the world’s pool of limitless enjoyment and entertainment is in fact …..limited.
Football is the recipient of so much emtion and pride that it can rarely pay it back properly. Outside of the prem giants are any fans really happy?

I’m not sure the fans of the top clubs are much happier than anyone else, just read their forums. Their expectations are higher but so are their disappointments too. And they’re paying a hell of a lot more for those disappointments.

RE: So who is or isn't renewing their st next season? - Isaac Hunt - 20-03-2022

(20-03-2022, 04:53 PM)kindofblue Wrote: There’ve been enough big goal games (for and against) this season to make it vaguely interesting and an uptick on Jacketball. There’s been dross, but how many of us sit through hours of streamed bilge on tv thinking wtf am I doing? Maybe the world’s pool of limitless enjoyment and entertainment is in fact …..limited.

Probably Luton fans are happy