TrueBlueArmy Forums
Jermaine Defoe - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Jermaine Defoe (/showthread.php?tid=1684)

Jermaine Defoe - Wightblue - 24-03-2022

Has announced his retirement !

I know he is not universally popular on this Board but he was certainly effective for Pompey, well, 15 goals in 31 games suggests he was !

His support of Bradley Lowery and his family was laudable.

RE: Jermaine Defoe - DeepBlue - 24-03-2022

(24-03-2022, 01:26 PM)Wightblue Wrote: Has announced his retirement !

I know he is not universally popular on this Board but he was certainly effective for Pompey, well, 15 goals in 31 games suggests he was !

Bet Sunderland wish they had kept the money in their pocket now ! 

Yes, he scored goals for us, and yes he has done good things off the pitch elsewehere, but his attitiude to Pompey, and to football in general whilst he was here somehow embodies everything that was wrong with being in the Premiership. 

And it's a disgrace that he later got a cup winners medal years after the event despite not playing one minute of our cup run because he was cup-tied.  The fact that he even wanted one despite doing nothing to deserve it says a lot about his character too.

RE: Jermaine Defoe - Smirnoffexpress - 24-03-2022

Never wanted to see Benjani offloaded to bring him in at the time and still have a greater afinity with Benjani than I could ever have for that mercenary coont.

RE: Jermaine Defoe - Pedalo_menders - 24-03-2022

Shows exactly why we should be avoiding that type of signing in L1. A hasbeen premium star is still worse (and way more expensive) than a regular L1 shit striker who is fit and tries hard.

I also agree with smirnoff's succinct summary of Defoes time with us too.

RE: Jermaine Defoe - Hammie - 24-03-2022

would have been nice to have someone like him here on loan as Bournemouth did all those years ago though!

RE: Jermaine Defoe - Northstandgeorge - 24-03-2022

(24-03-2022, 04:17 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:

Yes, he scored goals for us, and yes he has done good things off the pitch elsewehere, but his attitiude to Pompey, and to football in general whilst he was here somehow embodies everything that was wrong with being in the Premiership. 

And it's a disgrace that he later got a cup winners medal years after the event despite not playing one minute of our cup run because he was cup-tied.  The fact that he even wanted one despite doing nothing to deserve it says a lot about his character too.
I think he got a league cup winners medal for Spurs after the event as he signed for Pompey just before the league cup final having played and scored in earlier rounds for Spurs. Pretty sure he didnt get an Fa cup winners medal for us. He has had a great career Pompey didnt see him at his best but they did make a shitload of money after 1 year at Pompey.

RE: Jermaine Defoe - Wightblue - 24-03-2022

Clearly, I need to revise my original comment that Defoe was not universally popular amongst Pompey fans to one that he seems to have been distinctly unpopular with Pompey fans.

How odd that odd Benjani seems to be much preferred to Defoe, Defoes record of 15 goals from 31 games is rated as second best to Benjani’s of 20 goals in 86 starts, suggestive that being likeable is more important to Pompey fans than what you actually achieve in a Pompey shirt.

Funnily enough, I’ve never thought that sporting success should necessarily be accompanied by being ‘nice’, sporting success is its own means to an end.

I wouldn’t claim that Defoe has scaled the footballing pinnacles but his record of 20 goals in 57 starts for England stands comparison to most others and I am given to understand that he is the 8th highest scorer in the Premiership (stated on TalkSport but I haven’t verified it).

RE: Jermaine Defoe - Tufnell_Chimes - 24-03-2022

For a striker to hold down a wage all the way up to 39 is pretty remarkable.
Personally I always thought his goal against Andorra was his high point ...oh hang on.

RE: Jermaine Defoe - Smirnoffexpress - 25-03-2022

What Benjani brought to the table was a willingness to try,try and try even when he wasn’t scoring goals. He was also humble and seemed to “get” what we are all about. I will take that every day of the week. I loved his effort and spirit, was he a better goal scorer than Defoe, obviously not.

RE: Jermaine Defoe - Lawrence - 25-03-2022

I judge him on his efforts to avoid a speeding fine down Eastern rd by getting a top barrister in to get him off on a technicality and the Tottenham move. His last game in a Pompey shirt was a disgrace.

Him and redknapp belong in the alternative Pompey hall of fame.

RE: Jermaine Defoe - DeepBlue - 25-03-2022

(24-03-2022, 10:14 PM)Northstandgeorge Wrote:
(24-03-2022, 04:17 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:

I think he got a league cup winners medal for Spurs after the event as he signed for Pompey just before the league cup final having played and scored in earlier rounds for Spurs. Pretty sure he didnt get an Fa cup winners medal for us. He has had a great career Pompey didnt see him at his best but they did make a shitload of money after 1 year at Pompey.

NSG ... I hope you are right. I must have misread that story.

RE: Jermaine Defoe - slayer - 25-03-2022

He can absolutely go fuck himself after those performances against West Brom and West Ham, especially that penalty.

RE: Jermaine Defoe - Pompeyg100 - 25-03-2022

(25-03-2022, 10:34 AM)Lawrence Wrote: I judge him on his efforts to avoid a speeding fine down Eastern rd by getting a top barrister in to get him off on a technicality and the Tottenham move. His last game in a Pompey shirt was a disgrace.

Him and redknapp belong in the alternative Pompey hall of fame.

You probably don’t like many footballers then. Our old chairman got off a drink drive charge on a technicality too. If you had the money you’d do it too.