TrueBlueArmy Forums
Best & Worst Managers - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Best & Worst Managers (/showthread.php?tid=1699)

Best & Worst Managers - mikey393 - 01-04-2022

This is what I meant to put up instead of Win % post:

Portsmouth's best and worst managers since 1995 revealed - ranked by win percentage | The News

RE: Best & Worst Managers - Northstander - 02-04-2022

Barker was the worst for me

RE: Best & Worst Managers - mikey393 - 02-04-2022

It goes to show that Stats aren't everything. According to this Jackett has been our most successful manager. What a load of rubbish! Mainly due to all those Tin Pot paint & other meaningless cup games against weak opposition. We did get to Wembley & won a cup though.

RE: Best & Worst Managers - DeepBlue - 02-04-2022

League games only puts Jackett just behind Cook on 48.1%. 

Statistics don't lie - they are what they are and are factually correct.  It's just that people misinterpret statistics.  

And people assuming that win percentages are an indication of who is the most successful manager is a prime example of statistics being interpreted wrongly. There is no logic behind that assumption because it ignores far more important factors like the strength of the opposition and the trophies won or the relegations avoided. 

There can be no doubt that the most successful manager in the last 27 years is Harry Redknapp  for 3 separate seasons - the promotion year, the great escape year and the fa cup winning year. No-one else comes near that. 

Similarly a low win percentage is no measure of failure ... Alan Ball's great escape is right up there in managerial achievements but the win stats were very low.

RE: Best & Worst Managers - Isaac Hunt - 02-04-2022

Why look back..we are what we are.
Look forward

RE: Best & Worst Managers - stayinupforever - 03-04-2022

(02-04-2022, 10:08 AM)Northstander Wrote: Barker was the worst for me
Barker actually didn't give a toss about our club,fans or the position we were in. Worst for attitude and management skills definitely.

RE: Best & Worst Managers - mikey393 - 03-04-2022

(02-04-2022, 05:26 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: League games only puts Jackett just behind Cook on 48.1%. 

Statistics don't lie - they are what they are and are factually correct.  It's just that people misinterpret statistics.  

And people assuming that win percentages are an indication of who is the most successful manager is a prime example of statistics being interpreted wrongly. There is no logic behind that assumption because it ignores far more important factors like the strength of the opposition and the trophies won or the relegations avoided. 

There can be no doubt that the most successful manager in the last 27 years is Harry Redknapp  for 3 separate seasons - the promotion year, the great escape year and the fa cup winning year. No-one else comes near that. 

Similarly a low win percentage is no measure of failure ... Alan Ball's great escape is right up there in managerial achievements but the win stats were very low.

Agreed DB & 'Arry managed in the Premiership as well. He definitely got the best out of the players making them all believe they were World beaters.

RE: Best & Worst Managers - firqdays - 04-04-2022

Best and Worst ......... human nature, and personal likes have a massive affect on this one.

The reactions we are getting suggests that - sorry ........result i.e. cold statistics are NOT the be all, and end all, for many supporters who seemingly admire other qualities in a manager.

For example lots of us look back to the days of Bobby Campbell and Jim Smith with kindly regard - and I believe this is primarily brought about by contentment with team selection, coupled with style of play.

Personable demeanour cuts a lot of mustard.

RE: Best & Worst Managers - DeepBlue - 04-04-2022

I like the idea of the personal demeanour test ... 

failed miserably by the likes of Pulis, Gregory, Fenwick, Barker, Perrin & Zajec 

a few boring personalities who do not pass the personal demeanour test but don't really fail it either like Rix, Hart, Appleton, Cotterill & Jackett, to which I would controversially add Campbell (great team but I never found him very personable). Awford & Whittingham possibly fit here too but it's hard to judge because of their playing legend status. 

and then those with genuine character like Ball, Burrows, Smith, Redknapp (a marmite character), Adams (odd character, but definitely character), Grant & Cook. 

Not quite sure where Cowley fits, but I find him very likeable as an individual so I'm leaning towards to the last list.

RE: Best & Worst Managers - firqdays - 04-04-2022

Yes I found him dour, and possessed a Celtic demeanour in some ways.

However, straight talking and took us to promotion!