TrueBlueArmy Forums
Cheltenham game - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Cheltenham game (/showthread.php?tid=1716)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Cheltenham game - stayinupforever - 09-04-2022

1-1 draw.

RE: Cheltenham game - Wightblue - 09-04-2022

Don’t give a flying f*ck about it, stupefyingly bored with Cowley’s Pompey and not going to waste another $13 and two hours of my dwindling life until things and the football gets better.

Golf or a bit of sailing seems a much better alternative to the dross currently on offer from Pompey (but, there and again, digging out a cesspit couldn’t be any worse either)

Collectively, the players are not fit to wear the shirt and Cowley not fit to manage Pompey.

RE: Cheltenham game - Hammie - 09-04-2022

just below us in the table but out of the playoffs completely
If our players still believe we might get a win

RE: Cheltenham game - DeepBlue - 09-04-2022

(09-04-2022, 09:15 AM)Wightblue Wrote: Don’t give a flying f*ck about it, stupefyingly bored with Cowley’s Pompey and not going to waste another $13 and two hours of my dwindling life until things and the football gets better.

Golf or a bit of sailing seems a much better alternative to the dross currently on offer from Pompey (but, there and again, digging out a cesspit couldn’t be any worse either)

Collectively, the players are not fit to wear the shirt and Cowley not fit to manage Pompey.

I don't know why you bother to claim to be a Pompey fan if you cannot support unless we are winning every week. 

This is not even the bad times ... its the average mid-table with a squeak of the play-offs times.

RE: Cheltenham game - Pedalo_menders - 09-04-2022

Wind your neck in Deep.

(09-04-2022, 10:21 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Wind your neck in Deep.

I know I should, but negativity like that just winds me up. Especially when it's based on some sense of entitlement of better.   

No-one has divine right to promotion just because of past history.

RE: Cheltenham game - Gerry Hatrick - 09-04-2022

(09-04-2022, 10:26 AM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(09-04-2022, 10:21 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Wind your neck in Deep.

I know I should, but negativity like that just winds me up. Especially when it's based on some sense of entitlement of better.   

No-one has divine right to promotion just because of past history.

I don't even think it's about promotion. It's about a club like ours still challenging for something at the end of the season. Are we really satisfied with mid-table of the third tier? When have our standards ever slipped to such depressing levels? I suppose next year we will be expected to be celebrating having survived a relegation battle.

RE: Cheltenham game - dsmg - 09-04-2022

Unfortunately Pompey have always been up and down. Div 1 to Div 4, back up to Premier, back down to Div 2 (4) and on the way back up. Pompey has always been a rollercoaster.

(09-04-2022, 11:01 AM)dsmg Wrote: Unfortunately Pompey have always been up and down. Div 1 to Div 4, back up to Premier, back down to Div 2 (4) and on the way back up. Pompey has always been a rollercoaster.

Sorry dsmg but we've never languished this long outside the top two divisions. We have always bounced back quickly. But now the rot has set in.

Are you sure, I seem to remember us being in Divs 3 and 4 for an eternity when I started supporting. Have to get Deep to check, only joking Deep

RE: Cheltenham game - Cunninglinguist - 09-04-2022

No it hasn't Gerry.

(09-04-2022, 11:17 AM)dsmg Wrote: Are you sure, I seem to remember us being in Divs 3 and 4 for an eternity when I started supporting. Have to get Deep to check, only joking Deep

1960 - relegated to 3rd tier
1961 - promoted back
1976 - relegated to 3rd tier
1978 - relegated to 4th tier
1980 - promoted to third tier
1983 - promoted to 2nd tier
2012 - relegated to 3rd tier
2013 - relegated to 4th tier

It gives me no pleasure to record these stats because in just two weeks it will be TEN YEARS since we were last in the second tier of English football.

RE: Cheltenham game - Jizbag - 09-04-2022

(09-04-2022, 10:17 AM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(09-04-2022, 09:15 AM)Wightblue Wrote: Don’t give a flying f*ck about it, stupefyingly bored with Cowley’s Pompey and not going to waste another $13 and two hours of my dwindling life until things and the football gets better.

I don't know why you bother to claim to be a Pompey fan if you cannot support unless we are winning every week. 

This is not even the bad times ... its the average mid-table with a squeak of the play-offs times.

Here we go again...the old righteous Pompey fan bollocks coming out.

(09-04-2022, 11:24 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote:
(09-04-2022, 11:17 AM)dsmg Wrote: Are you sure, I seem to remember us being in Divs 3 and 4 for an eternity when I started supporting. Have to get Deep to check, only joking Deep

1960 - relegated to 3rd tier
1961 - promoted back
1976 - relegated to 3rd tier
1978 - relegated to 4th tier
1980 - promoted to third tier
1983 - promoted to 2nd tier
2012 - relegated to 3rd tier
2013 - relegated to 4th tier

It gives me no pleasure to record these stats because in just two weeks it will be TEN YEARS since we were last in the second tier of English football.

Small amendment.......Should be 1961 relegated and '62 promoted back

RE: Cheltenham game - Pompeyg100 - 09-04-2022

(09-04-2022, 10:17 AM)DeepBlue Wrote:

We haven’t had a chance of the playoffs all season.

RE: Cheltenham game - foxleyblue - 09-04-2022

Same team today?

RE: Cheltenham game - Pompeyg100 - 09-04-2022

(09-04-2022, 11:01 AM)dsmg Wrote: Unfortunately Pompey have always been up and down. Div 1 to Div 4, back up to Premier, back down to Div 2 (4) and on the way back up. Pompey has always been a rollercoaster.

I’d take up and down over this sh1te, neither up nor down. At least relegation battles are exciting.

RE: Cheltenham game - The Realist - 09-04-2022

(09-04-2022, 11:09 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote:

Sorry dsmg but we've never languished this long outside the top two divisions. We have always bounced back quickly. But now the rot has set in.

The biggest mistake was appointing Jackett - took a team full of Championship potential capable of bouncing back and left a legacy of all round dross and no fight.

Being pedantic we were formed in 1898 and were not in the first division until the 1927 season so we've got a way to go to beat that 28 year spell. 

Another way of looking at it is that we were essentially a start up club in the 2013-2014 season with no players and significant debt and only the fans with very little money as owners.  We were debt free within 18 months, won the league 2 championship and were seriously challenging for promotion back to the championship in the 2017-2018 season, quite an achievement. But have stalled since albeit whilst remaining in the top half in the playoffs, or nearly in the playoffs, since. 

It's not a brilliant 8 year record but it is not awful either. 

Yes, its worrying that we have become more average in the past two seasons but I'd be far more worried if the infrastructure was not being sorted out and I repeat, you should be able to enjoy watching your team play win, lose or draw.

RE: Cheltenham game - Pedalo_menders - 09-04-2022

Ah yes, lets not forget what happened 100 years ago. Before the professional game. Quite right.

How can you say the last 10 years haven't been awful when they have literally been the worst teams we have seen in 100 years?

RE: Cheltenham game - Hammie - 09-04-2022

Worse than the teams that tried very hard to finish bottom of the 4th tier?
It is one of the rare mid table seasons I can remember, due to our propensity to get relegated and promoted more than most. That's the biggest problem really we are used to meaningful games at the bottom or the top.
Looking at the constant team and formation changes, Cowley is a long way away from his team for next season.

I do think that a manager who keeps it simple would have achieved more with the players we have. This season we have had 2 strikers who have scored regularly at this level plus O'Brien who has made a huge difference. But the team does not create enough strikers chances. Sod the tippy tappy football, keep ti simple for players of limited ability.

We should be three up

Now 4-1 (should have been)

I would say that Walkers performance has been marginally better than Hirsts, in the first half.

Some great combination play down the right but as usual no end product. In fact they could easily have scored twice near the end, Baz with a wonder point blank save in one of em.