TrueBlueArmy Forums
Cheltenham game - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Cheltenham game (/showthread.php?tid=1716)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Cheltenham game - exgaffer - 10-04-2022

(10-04-2022, 07:00 PM)Wightblue Wrote: Thanks for that Pedalo, I had only seen the singing of “WTF hell was that” (sent to me by me grandson who is in Thailand in his gap year travels).

I thought Tom (isn’t he growing up fast) encapsulated everything I feel ie the imminent danger of PFC losing the fans…..it’s happened before and it might possibly be about to happen again.

It maybe OK for Deep and Gaffer to slog on but a lot of fans are about to enter a period where money is very tight, especially after October when  energy costs will have more than doubled in a year, value for money won’t just apply to the weekly shop !

Pompey’s management maybe blindly walking towards a minefield,

I take your point Wight and it is true that some will stop going to FP if money is tight.

Diehards will find the money though, it was ever thus.

There have been periods in my life when I didn’t have a pot to piss in but I still managed to get to FP.

Obviously those with commitments and young families may find it impossible and that will be a great shame.

Hopefully the club will help with some kind of attractive family ticket plan.

In hard times people tend to need football more, not less, if only as a form of escapism.

I prefer to be an optimist, pessimism just breeds misery imo.

Anyway, here’s hoping for the best. PUP.

RE: Cheltenham game - Hammie - 10-04-2022

How long after the away fans lost it with Kenny did he get the boot?
I really don't see any reason to stick with the current managers.
Wages have gone up.
We have a squad of at least decent players
But the constant changing means we have a team who repeatedly fail to perform.

RE: Cheltenham game - Pompeyg100 - 11-04-2022

(10-04-2022, 09:44 PM)Hammie Wrote: How long after the away fans lost it with Kenny did he get the boot?
I really don't see any reason to stick with the current managers.
Wages have gone up.
We have a squad of at least decent players
But the constant changing means we have a team who repeatedly fail to perform.

We have a very small squad of half decent players who we don’t own or won’t come June.

RE: Cheltenham game - Rick Pumpkin - 11-04-2022

(11-04-2022, 08:34 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: We have a very small squad of half decent players who we don’t own or won’t come June.

And the part of the squad that's actually under contract next year is incredibly unbalanced.

RE: Cheltenham game - Cunninglinguist - 11-04-2022

I (as I’m sure many will be pissed off with hearing) am purely concerned with what entertainment is provided on the pitch. I don’t like losing but that’s part of the game.

What I found hard to swallow, on Saturday, were wholesale changes made that destroyed the game. In particular, why was Walker anywhere near the first team? He has no future at the club and has contributed practically nothing. I want to see our best available team playing and if not then at least something that gives me some sort of interest.
Many have said that our season is over but it bloody well isn’t. People have paid good money to watch our team until the last game has been played and they deserve far more promise than they were shown against Cheltenham.
Who on here would moan if we went hammer and tongs against every side we’ve still yet to play? Who wouldn’t be interested in seeing a few of the academy players being blooded?

The season isn’t over but it might as well be if all we have to look forward to is watching Walker fail to earn any of the high wages he’s reportedly pocketing.

RE: Cheltenham game - ForeverPompey - 11-04-2022

I said previously that the season was over long ago. In terms of achieving anything then that is true I think but I entirely take the point made in above post. You are right in saying the season isn’t ‘over’ and yes we have paid to see the team bust a gut for the last few games. We owe it to the promotion picture to give our best and the players owe it to the fans. I agree we should see some introduction of youngsters where appropriate and absolutely do not want to see Walker ever again.

RE: Cheltenham game - Hammie - 11-04-2022

trouble is we have injured the youngsters we bought in and have very few youngsters of our own left cos we offloaded them.
I'm struggling to name more than one or two that would count as young and are fit to play.

RE: Cheltenham game - Cunninglinguist - 11-04-2022

Those one or two would do.

Hewitt white

Mingi

Would be lovely to see. But NC seems to think it is better not to play them as they might get frightened, as he did with Stanley.

RE: Cheltenham game - mikey393 - 11-04-2022

Just watched the highlights which was pretty dire.

Pompey should probably had a penalty early on but ref looked well placed not to call it.

Their goal should have been defending against much better.

Just watched the Blog "You're Not fit to wear the shirt" All credit to Blake I think for filming the full day out. The game really was dire & Baz made at least 3 really good saves but Pompey didn't look like scoring & were 2nd best all day. It ended up with the team being Boo'd off the pitch which summed up everything.

RE: Cheltenham game - Wightblue - 11-04-2022

Is it possible that there is a clause written into the Loan Contract that Walker has to play in so many games, might explain the otherwise unexplainable.

RE: Cheltenham game - Deebo - 11-04-2022

(09-04-2022, 09:15 AM)Wightblue Wrote: Don’t give a flying f*ck about it, stupefyingly bored with Cowley’s Pompey and not going to waste another $13 and two hours of my dwindling life until things and the football gets better.

Golf or a bit of sailing seems a much better alternative to the dross currently on offer from Pompey (but, there and again, digging out a cesspit couldn’t be any worse either)

I think you called it right WB, certainly as far as I’m concerned. For decades, pre-covid I did a 230 mile round trip to home games probably 12-15 times a season. Last Saturday, I couldn’t even be bothered to drive the 20 or so miles from my home through beautiful countryside on a sunny afternoon to see the game and chose to sort out my compost heap instead.
So your point on the cesspit was unerringly accurate as well.

Big Grin 

As for people who think you’re not a proper fan if you don’t turn up when things aren’t going well they can feck off. If I don’t think I’m being entertained (and that has been the case for more years than I care to remember now) then I’m voting with my feet.

RE: Cheltenham game - Gerry Hatrick - 11-04-2022

(11-04-2022, 02:57 PM)Deebo Wrote:
(09-04-2022, 09:15 AM)Wightblue Wrote: Don’t give a flying f*ck about it, stupefyingly bored with Cowley’s Pompey and not going to waste another $13 and two hours of my dwindling life until things and the football gets better.

Golf or a bit of sailing seems a much better alternative to the dross currently on offer from Pompey (but, there and again, digging out a cesspit couldn’t be any worse either)

I think you called it right WB, certainly as far as I’m concerned. For decades, pre-covid I did a 230 mile round trip to home games probably 12-15 times a season. Last Saturday, I couldn’t even be bothered to drive the 20 or so miles from my home through beautiful countryside on a sunny afternoon to see the game and chose to sort out my compost heap instead.
So your point on the cesspit was unerringly accurate as well.

Big Grin 

As for people who think you’re not a proper fan if you don’t turn up when things aren’t going well they can feck off. If I don’t think I’m being entertained (and that has been the case for more years than I care to remember now) then I’m voting with my feet.

Did you find our academy programme anywhere in your compost heap by any chance?

It was infested with rats. Read into that what you will. Shook me up actually but luckily it's on the allotment and not in the garden.

RE: Cheltenham game - essentialmix75 - 11-04-2022

(11-04-2022, 04:00 PM)Deebo Wrote: It was infested with rats. Read into that what you will. Shook me up actually but luckily it's on the allotment and not in the garden.

You need to turn the compost once a week, keep the heap hot and you will not get rats.

Only problem with the allotment over winter, not many people bother with their plot.

(11-04-2022, 04:29 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote:
(11-04-2022, 04:00 PM)Deebo Wrote: It was infested with rats. Read into that what you will. Shook me up actually but luckily it's on the allotment and not in the garden.

You need to turn the compost once a week, keep the heap hot and you will not get rats.

Only problem with the allotment over winter, not many people bother with their plot.

and tuck your socks/trousers into your boots!

I once found a nest of slow worms in mine but rats are much more common. Need to get the local jack russell owners club up there!

RE: Cheltenham game - essentialmix75 - 11-04-2022

"Only problem with the allotment over winter, not many people bother with their plot."

I should have followed that message up with a 'caveat', if you have a plot down locks way road it's probable underwater all winter anyway!.

Food waste is a big mistake. Peelings etc. They eat anything including even the wife's cooking. One had wintered very well. He was the size of Manuel's rat Basil in Fawlty Towers but he didn't fancy the pitchfork up him Capt Mainwairing.

just think we are coming up to the closed football season with months of finding something to talk about!

RE: Cheltenham game - Gerry Hatrick - 11-04-2022

(11-04-2022, 04:46 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: "Only problem with the allotment over winter, not many people bother with their plot."

I should have followed that message up with a 'caveat', if you have a plot down locks way road it's probable underwater all winter anyway!.

Apparently Danny Cowley used to be a keen allotment holder but that was before he lost the plot.

RE: Cheltenham game - Pompeyg100 - 11-04-2022

(11-04-2022, 02:09 PM)Wightblue Wrote: Is it possible that there is a clause written into the Loan Contract that Walker has to play in so many games, might explain the otherwise unexplainable.

Quite possibly but what could be the result of breaking the contract? They take him back?

DC plays players he’s had before.

(11-04-2022, 08:03 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:
(11-04-2022, 02:09 PM)Wightblue Wrote: Is it possible that there is a clause written into the Loan Contract that Walker has to play in so many games, might explain the otherwise unexplainable.

Quite possibly but what could be the result of breaking the contract? They take him back?

DC plays players he’s had before.

drop him at once and hope for the best
With Hirst and OBrien we've got enough up front, can always play Curtis/Harness in there as the season is done anyhow.

RE: Cheltenham game - Rick Pumpkin - 12-04-2022

(11-04-2022, 11:23 PM)Hammie Wrote: With Hirst and OBrien we've got enough up front, can always play Curtis/Harness in there as the season is done anyhow.

Or, God forbid, we could play one of the kids. Sorry, I forgot that they were all let go.

RE: Cheltenham game - Pompeyg100 - 12-04-2022

(12-04-2022, 10:27 AM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote:
(11-04-2022, 11:23 PM)Hammie Wrote: With Hirst and OBrien we've got enough up front, can always play Curtis/Harness in there as the season is done anyhow.

Or, God forbid, we could play one of the kids.  Sorry, I forgot that they were all let go.

And they’ve all gone on to have flourishing careers……..or they just weren’t good enough.

RE: Cheltenham game - Rick Pumpkin - 12-04-2022

(12-04-2022, 11:50 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:
(12-04-2022, 10:27 AM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote:

Or, God forbid, we could play one of the kids.  Sorry, I forgot that they were all let go.

And they’ve all gone on to have flourishing careers……..or they just weren’t good enough.

The one flaw in that is that you cannot tell at 17/18 whether a player is going to be good enough and if they're allowed to drop down through the pyramid you'll often never know for sure what they could have achieved in the game.  The top two divisions are littered with players let go by clubs at all levels who then went on to prove that decision wrong.

It's ok giving smug replies but, maybe, a little research would help.