TrueBlueArmy Forums
Two seasons running - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Two seasons running (/showthread.php?tid=1724)

Two seasons running - briefcase_wanchor - 09-04-2022

Cowley couldn't motivate the team to reach the play-offs, a minimum requirement for any manager of our club.  No excuses.  He doesn't have it, I'm afraid - and I was really hoping as a young English manager he would be capable.

RE: Two seasons running - dsmg - 09-04-2022

He tinkers too much.Too much iPad.

RE: Two seasons running - Pedalo_menders - 09-04-2022

I think the worst thing about it is that it's not even been close. And there is pretty much nothing to build on for next season. Only 2 of our back 5 players are contracted for next season. None of our strikers are contracted (thank god).

Back to square 1. What a fucking mess.

RE: Two seasons running - Smirnoffexpress - 09-04-2022

All I want is a bit of hope that things will improve, they ain’t!

RE: Two seasons running - Hammie - 09-04-2022

and really we do have some decent players for this level but he seems incapable of motivating them. To me that screams of players who don't believe in what the manager is asking them to do, or confused as he continually chops and changes.

RE: Two seasons running - Pompeyg100 - 09-04-2022

(09-04-2022, 04:40 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: I think the worst thing about it is that it's not even been close. And there is pretty much nothing to build on for next season. Only 2 of our back 5 players are contracted for next season. None of our strikers are contracted (thank god).

Back to square 1. What a fucking mess.

Let’s just all hope that Walker doesn’t get released by Coventry.

RE: Two seasons running - Hammie - 09-04-2022

That's the biggest worry for me, nothing to build on, no obvious plan. They go on about needing 3 windows but I don't see steady development, just constant chop and change and sucking up to some clubs at a higher level who will let us improve their players for them.

RE: Two seasons running - Hermann's_no_hermit - 11-04-2022

(09-04-2022, 04:52 PM)Hammie Wrote: That's the biggest worry for me, nothing to build on, no obvious plan. They go on about needing 3 windows but I don't see steady development, just constant chop and change and sucking up to some clubs at a higher level who will let us improve their players for them.

Struggling to think of a loan player the Cowleys have improved

RE: Two seasons running - Pompeyg100 - 11-04-2022

(11-04-2022, 12:33 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote:
(09-04-2022, 04:52 PM)Hammie Wrote: That's the biggest worry for me, nothing to build on, no obvious plan. They go on about needing 3 windows but I don't see steady development, just constant chop and change and sucking up to some clubs at a higher level who will let us improve their players for them.

Struggling to think of a loan player the Cowleys have improved

In fairness, you would have to say Hirst, he’d never scored before coming here, took a while though.

RE: Two seasons running - firqdays - 11-04-2022

Quote from Hammie, 
"and really we do have some decent players for this level but he seems incapable of motivating them. To me that screams of players who don't believe in what the manager is asking them to do, or confused as he continually chops and changes" 

Hammie,

You, and others have identified a fundamental problem. 

That being that players who, previously,  looked 'half decent/good' have at best stagnated,  and for the most part,  actually gone backwards.

A case in point - RONAN CURTIS - initially he was a decent player who contributed significantly to team performance and results. He WAS , more or less, a regular in the Republic team - even coming on as sub against England at Wembley and nearly scoring !!

Yet now he can't get near his countries team, and does not  threaten to achieve his  early potential . Why and how has his motivation died  ? 

Is he de-motivated by playing for Portsmouth, or does he want to choose a new career path ?

Just one of the players who should be standing out week on week but currently is rating a 5 on average when and if he appears. Shame!

As several of the above comments have identified, we are now moving significantly in the wrong direction

RE: Two seasons running - Hammie - 11-04-2022

not much point being man of the match, it just means that you will be rested for the next game. Players like Curtis just want to play, following two weeks off surely most pros could manage three games in a week? Sub them if you must to rest them.

RE: Two seasons running - Pompeyg100 - 11-04-2022

(11-04-2022, 01:06 PM)firqdays Wrote: Quote from Hammie, 
"and really we do have some decent players for this level but he seems incapable of motivating them. To me that screams of players who don't believe in what the manager is asking them to do, or confused as he continually chops and changes" 

Hammie,

That being that players who, previously,  looked 'half decent/good' have at best stagnated,  and for the most part,  actually gone backwards.

A case in point - RONAN CURTIS - initially he was a decent player who contributed significantly to team performance and results. He WAS , more or less, a regular in the Republic team - even coming on as sub against England at Wembley and nearly scoring !!

Yet now he can't get near his countries team, and does not  threaten to achieve his  early potential . Why and how has his motivation died  ? 

Is he de-motivated by playing for Portsmouth, or does he want to choose a new career path ?

Just one of the players who should be standing out week on week but currently is rating a 5 on average when and if he appears. Shame!

As several of the above comments have identified, we are now moving significantly in the wrong direction

We always start so slowly, normally going in to half time behind. Either DC can’t motivate the players or they don’t understand/agree with what is being asked of them. DC is so out of his depth he won’t commit. 

All this Jacobs can’t play because he can only play in a limited positions.

The pair of them confuse themselves trying to be tactical genius.

RE: Two seasons running - foxleyblue - 11-04-2022

IMO.... he should be p[laying the younger (academy?)players to bed them in

RE: Two seasons running - mikey393 - 11-04-2022

(11-04-2022, 01:33 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:
(11-04-2022, 01:06 PM)firqdays Wrote: Quote from Hammie, 

Hammie,

We always start so slowly, normally going in to half time behind. Either DC can’t motivate the players or they don’t understand/agree with what is being asked of them. DC is so out of his depth he won’t commit. 

All this Jacobs can’t play because he can only play in a limited positions.

The pair of them confuse themselves trying to be tactical genius.
DC has stated Harness & Jacobs play in the same position so they can't both be on the pitch at the same time.

A decent manager would find a way of accommodating both players.

He may be a nice guy & knows how to use an ipad but he can't manage our football team!

RE: Two seasons running - Hammie - 11-04-2022

or sell one of them to bring in an alternative.