TrueBlueArmy Forums
Building for next season - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Building for next season (/showthread.php?tid=1731)

Pages: 1 2

Building for next season - Pedalo_menders - 10-04-2022

So with 6 pointless games coming up, what progress can be made for next season?

Defense
Sadly our keeper is umpteen fucking miles away playing L2 football.
Are we going to play a back 3 or 4 next year? We should be playing Robertson, Ogilvie, Hume and probably raggett as there is a small chance he will be here next season. Unbalanced as fook.

Midfield
Work out what formation suits the players and get them playing together regularly. Morrell & Thompson? Or those 2 + Tunicliff?

Strikers 
Not sure wtf to do here. I suppose play harness,  O'brien & Curtis. I hope we sell Curtis in the summer but I would be amazed if any serious bids came in. Jacobs isn't going to hang around on a pay as you play deal.

And that, is the best we can hope for, planning for next year. As I've said previously, what a shitshow.

RE: Building for next season - Wightblue - 10-04-2022

Not sure about Curtis !

Clearly he has gone backwards under Jackett and especially Cowley and another manager might feel that he could get Curtis back on track both in terms of his game and his lack of discipline.

Curtis has not improved his game since joining Pompey, in fact he’s gone backwards from his initial promise but playing out of his preferred position too often and with an ever changing personnel playing behind him and around him may not have been conducive to improvement.

What would Pompey accept for him ?  He will be starting the last year of his contract and this Summer window might be the last chance to make some money from him, £500K would get bids I feel (and the majority of posts suggest that fans don’t think he’s worth more).

I think much of which I think applies to Curtis might well apply to Harness and Pompey may well decide to take up his option and then try to sell him on as well, like Curtis, half a million would probably get some interest

RE: Building for next season - Bluebob - 10-04-2022

(10-04-2022, 03:08 PM)Wightblue Wrote: Not sure about Curtis !

Clearly he has gone backwards under Jackett and especially Cowley and another manager might feel that he could get Curtis back on track both in terms of his game and his lack of discipline.

Curtis has not improved his game since joining Pompey, in fact he’s gone backwards from his initial promise but playing out of his preferred position too often and with an ever changing personnel playing behind him and around him may not have been conducive to improvement.

What would Pompey accept for him ?  He will be starting the last year of his contract and this Summer window might be the last chance to make some money from him, £500K would get bids I feel (and the majority of posts suggest that fans don’t think he’s worth more).

I think much of which I think applies to Curtis might well apply to Harness and Pompey may well decide to take up his option and then try to sell him on as well, like Curtis, half a million would probably get some interest
Seriously mate I wouldn’t give £5 for Harness and probably not a lot more for Curtis. Both need to go and hopefully get some fresh new blood in. The simple fact is they have not delivered consistently for the last 2 season’s.

RE: Building for next season - Wightblue - 10-04-2022

At a Fiver there might be a queue for Curtis and Harness - especially if we do a BOGOF.

RE: Building for next season - Hammie - 10-04-2022

I'm not sure any player will give their best in a continually changing team and formation.
Added to that I get the increasing feeling that the players do not rate their managers. Seen it too often down the years where players stop performing for weak managers.
The club is being reorganised from top to bottom but are these the leaders at the top of the club who can take us on?

RE: Building for next season - bluetagagain - 11-04-2022

I reckon Raggett, Curtis, Harness and Jacobs will all go. The teachers will blow all the money on some youngun that’s feckin useless like Walker and we’ll have at least 6 loans

RE: Building for next season - Jizbag - 11-04-2022

The most important task for next season is to get a decent manager in, pay the money and stop fucking about with these idiots. They were unemployed before we took them on...wonder why that was??

RE: Building for next season - ForeverPompey - 11-04-2022

This group of players have some talent but are mostly mediocre. The only defence of them for me is they have had to put up with the management team making an average of 3 changes per match and changing the system on a regular basis. I know the team is poor but the way they have been managed doesn’t allow for any kind of settled performance. I’m sure many will be glad to escape from the Cowleys.

RE: Building for next season - dsmg - 11-04-2022

Get Haji Mnoga back to play some games. He could be excellent with some coaching, really strong and fas, just a bit prone to break people's legs with reckless tackles. Put Mingi in every game. Not sure how good he is but looked decent in the five minutes I saw of him. Put Jewitt in every game. I would much rather see our young players than somebody else's. By the way, if Raggers goes we're well and truly farked. A shout out for Ogilvie too, an excellent addition.

RE: Building for next season - Pompeyg100 - 11-04-2022

(11-04-2022, 05:36 PM)dsmg Wrote: Get Haji Mnoga back to play some games. He could be excellent with some coaching, really strong and fas, just a bit prone to break people's legs with reckless tackles. Put Mingi in every game. Not sure how good he is but looked decent in the five minutes I saw of him. Put Jewitt in every game. I would much rather see our young players than somebody else's. By the way, if Raggers goes we're well and truly farked. A shout out for Ogilvie too, an excellent addition.

I doubt he can be recalled

RE: Building for next season - Pedalo_menders - 11-04-2022

We farked ourselves over when we let Whatmough go last season. Raggett was the cheap replacement and although by all accounts he had a good season. He's nowhere near as good as whatmough.

RE: Building for next season - Rocketman - 11-04-2022

(11-04-2022, 09:18 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: We farked ourselves over when we let Whatmough go last season. Raggett was the cheap replacement and although by all accounts he had a good season. He's nowhere near as good as whatmough.

IMHO Raggett has been the undisputed POTS (and I've been to or seen just about every match home and away this season). More goals than Whatmough, just as good in defence. Would love to have seen them play together this season.

RE: Building for next season - Hammie - 11-04-2022

I think we offered Whatmough a contract but he was offered a longer deal at Wigan. Him and Naylor have done very well out of the move. When I see Sonny wotsit playing in the champ for Luton it really makes me wonder about the standard of players that can make it.

RE: Building for next season - Wightblue - 12-04-2022

Hammie

It’s pretty likely that Bournemouth will get promoted back to the Premier league at the end of this season and that Jamal Lowe will be probably be part of the squad - he’s only played 22 games and only scored 4 goals this season compared with just about every game in the previous two so nothing is certain for him.

But he does seem to be another Pompey old-boy doing well.

RE: Building for next season - Rick Pumpkin - 12-04-2022

Yep, in preparing for next season I see they're letting the kids go already.  Doesn't even warrant a mention on the club website.

Bye, Harvey.

RE: Building for next season - Cleaver Greene - 12-04-2022

Interesting take on the last three seasons from Sean Raggett:
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/ex-norwich-man-i-came-to-portsmouth-to-win-promotion-three-years-later-were-further-behind-3648237?itm_source=parsely-api

RE: Building for next season - DeepBlue - 12-04-2022

(11-04-2022, 09:18 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: We farked ourselves over when we let Whatmough go last season. Raggett was the cheap replacement and although by all accounts he had a good season. He's nowhere near as good as whatmough.

WALOB

Raggett was no cheap replacement for Whatmough FFS, he had been here playing alongside him for 2 years before Jack decided to go.  

And it was Jack's decision to go - it was not a case of us 'letting him go'. He was out of contract and he chose to go because of the extra year on offer for the same money (and the appeal of a new challenge).  I can't criticise someone too much for doing what was best for his family, especially with his injury record meaning his career could end at any minute, but personally I felt more let down by the lack of loyalty from the player to the club and fans that had supported him through some dark times than by the club for not matching Wigan's length of contract  -  2 years with his injury record was actually quite generous and it's not as if he was in any danger of not being offered another one after that if it stayed fit. 

So IMO it was Jack Whatmough's decision that went a long way to farking up our season before it even started.

RE: Building for next season - Hammie - 12-04-2022

(12-04-2022, 10:19 AM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote: Yep, in preparing for next season I see they're letting the kids go already.  Doesn't even warrant a mention on the club website.

Bye, Harvey.

Seems to be the new norm for Pompey.
Not sure why young players would come here actually.

RE: Building for next season - Rick Pumpkin - 12-04-2022

(12-04-2022, 11:38 AM)Hammie Wrote:
(12-04-2022, 10:19 AM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote: Yep, in preparing for next season I see they're letting the kids go already.  Doesn't even warrant a mention on the club website.

Bye, Harvey.

Seems to be the new norm for Pompey.
Not sure why young players would come here actually.

I know a family in Hambledon whose kid used to go to the Pompey academy but he moved to Reading a couple of years ago and hasn't looked back.  It's organised, parents always know where their kids have to go to train and there's a pathway for them into the U18s and, ultimately, the U23s if they're good enough.  Compare that to their thoughts on Pompey's junior setup where the nicest thing they could say was that it's amateurish at best.

That's not breaking news though is it?

RE: Building for next season - Hammie - 14-04-2022

one advantage with looking very unlikely to make the play offs. We can get on with the contracts for next season. Going out late in the play offs makes setting up for next season very hard.

RE: Building for next season - BlueArmy - 14-04-2022

Make no mistake we are a massive club in this league especially. The cowleys have failed massively. Top 2 should be the requirement for any pompey manager in league one.

RE: Building for next season - Hammie - 14-04-2022

Funny enough. After Tuesday I've mentally moved forward. This season has gone, sad but almost certainly done.
Full steam ahead for next season, lets get the squad sorted!
Being a football fan does always give us the positive summer feeling!

RE: Building for next season - Pompeyg100 - 14-04-2022

[quote="Rick Pumpkin" pid="27550" dateline="1649758789"]
Yep, in preparing for next season I see they're letting the kids go already.  Doesn't even warrant a mention on the club website.

My bad

RE: Building for next season - billyb - 14-04-2022

(14-04-2022, 07:42 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

My bad
If the aim is to get to the Championship then IMO the playing budget should be that of a Championship club. If we stick with a league one budget we will more than likely be staying in league one. I'd like to see us acting like a Championship club now.

RE: Building for next season - Isaac Hunt - 15-04-2022

(10-04-2022, 02:48 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: So with 6 pointless games coming up, what progress can be made for next season?

Strikers 
Not sure wtf to do here. I suppose play harness,  O'brien & Curtis. I hope we sell Curtis in the summer but I would be amazed if any serious bids came in. Jacobs isn't going to hang around on a pay as you play deal.

And that, is the best we can hope for, planning for next year. As I've said previously, what a shitshow.

Promote Dan Gifford ffs