TrueBlueArmy Forums
This is why they have to go - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: This is why they have to go (/showthread.php?tid=1732)

This is why they have to go - exgaffer - 11-04-2022

Quote from Mr Over Thinker Cowley:

‘We could have played them and should have played them, but ultimately if you do you’re running a risk with the games coming as they are.

So we felt it made sense to be intelligent’.

So the reason we made 5 changes was to save players for later matches which would have no meaning if we lost the game.

Not what I’d call intelligent.

We need a new manager pronto, no point in hanging about, we can’t afford to waste another season.

I hold my hands up to being supportive of the appointment of the Cowleys, but having watched them operate for what seems like a lifetime, I admit that I was horribly mistaken.

RE: This is why they have to go - Pompeyg100 - 11-04-2022

Why did he expect Walker coming in to the team he would stake a claim for more game time? How many times has he had this opportunity? What the definition of insanity?

RE: This is why they have to go - Rick Pumpkin - 11-04-2022

I've always said that when Cowley talks he seems to be trying to impress either himsef or his mum. He strangles the English language and, basically, talks bollocks all the time.

Time to go, Danny, and take your non-league coaching team with you.

RE: This is why they have to go - Cleaver Greene - 11-04-2022

Cant we do a manager swap?
Cowleys back to Lincoln where they started out and Michael Appleton back to us.
At least Michael Appleton talks sense.

RE: This is why they have to go - Cunninglinguist - 11-04-2022

(11-04-2022, 10:09 AM)Cleaver Greene Wrote: Cant we do a manager swap?

I wouldn’t want anyone that thinks having Marquis in the team is a good idea.

RE: This is why they have to go - ForeverPompey - 11-04-2022

Point of debate... Marquis or Walker... what a choice!!

RE: This is why they have to go - Pompeyg100 - 11-04-2022

(11-04-2022, 10:29 AM)ForeverPompey Wrote: Point of debate...  Marquis or Walker... what a choice!!

One has scored what 18 in a season for us and one who hasn’t. Not a hard choice.

RE: This is why they have to go - ForeverPompey - 11-04-2022

Well that’s interesting because it seems everyone is agreed about Walker but despite having tried to support Marquis before he left I was regularly shot down in flames by people telling me Marquis was a useless waster. Eventually I assumed I must be wrong about him as I seemed to be in a minority of one! Having said that we surely want something better by next season!!

RE: This is why they have to go - BlueArmy - 11-04-2022

We have scored 1 goal in the last 5 games, winning none of them.

The only way there is a chance the Cowleys will get sacked is if we continue that terrible run without a win.

Even these useless players will be able to get a win or two out of the remaining fixtures.

RE: This is why they have to go - Hammie - 11-04-2022

The away fans turned on them on Saturday. Has any Pompey manager come back from the crowd giving him the bird? Kenny eventually went without achieving success. Cook perhaps? Before that I cannot recall any manager losing the crowd and making a success of the job.

RE: This is why they have to go - Wightblue - 11-04-2022

Fenwick !

I can remember being at Fratton Park for a game versus Reading which we lost 1-0 and were pathetic.

The whole ground (including a normally passive North Stand Centre Section) chanting “We want Fenwick out, say, we want Fenwick out”.

My American guests (LA Rams fans) were gobsmacked, wouldn’t happen in NFL, the coach would normally be long gone (losing is one thing, being pathetically awful is another).

They joined in and thoroughly enjoyed the ‘soccer’ experience and couldn’t wait to get back to the US to tell their friends about it.

We ended up in the Nell Gwynn which was another unique experience for them: as ever, packed, difficult to get served, toilets disgusting, a truly ‘why the f*ck are we here here’ affair…….my American guests loved it !

Thought it was Pompey life in the raw !

RE: This is why they have to go - Gerry Hatrick - 11-04-2022

(11-04-2022, 09:07 AM)exgaffer Wrote: Quote from Mr Over Thinker Cowley:

‘We could have played them and should have played them, but ultimately if you do you’re running a risk with the games coming as they are.

So we felt it made sense to be intelligent’.

So the reason we made 5 changes was to save players for later matches which would have no meaning if we lost the game.

Not what I’d call intelligent.

We need a new manager pronto, no point in hanging about, we can’t afford to waste another season.

I hold my hands up to being supportive of the appointment of the Cowleys, but having watched them operate for what seems like a lifetime, I admit that I was horribly mistaken.

To be fair, he only said it made sense to be intelligent, which is true, not that they actually were. And with games coming thick and fast you've got to watch overuse of the brain in case it gets injured.

I remember the Fenwick days only too well. My point was that does any pompey manager come back from that sort of response?

RE: This is why they have to go - TBP - 11-04-2022

(11-04-2022, 02:02 PM)Wightblue Wrote: Fenwick !

I can remember being at Fratton Park for a game versus Reading which we lost 1-0 and were pathetic.

The whole ground (including a normally passive North Stand Centre Section) chanting “We want Fenwick out, say, we want Fenwick out”.

My American guests (LA Rams fans) were gobsmacked, wouldn’t happen in NFL, the coach would normally be long gone (losing is one thing, being pathetically awful is another).

They joined in and thoroughly enjoyed the ‘soccer’ experience and couldn’t wait to get back to the US to tell their friends about it.

We ended up in the Nell Gwynn which was another unique experience for them: as ever, packed, difficult to get served, toilets disgusting, a truly ‘why the f*ck are we here here’ affair…….my American guests loved it !

Thought it was Pompey life in the raw !

Exactly what's needed to get the tourists in.

RE: This is why they have to go - Lawrence - 11-04-2022

I think Appleton would be appalled at the budget that Cowley has been given to get this club promoted and tell us to sod off.

Still at least we own a gym now...

(11-04-2022, 05:42 PM)Lawrence Wrote:

I think Appleton would be appalled at the budget that Cowley has been given to get this club promoted and tell us to sod off.

the highest budget since we were in the champ

RE: This is why they have to go - Bedhamptonblue69 - 11-04-2022

Underwhelmed when he was appointed… massively underwhelmed ever since . Meaningless drivel he thinks people find impressive . Never been so disillusioned with the club .

After Cheltenham I did not even make it to the end of his post match whinge, it was more entertaining to go and do the hoovering!

RE: This is why they have to go - Jizbag - 12-04-2022

Is there anyone on here who still supports them? I honestly think by giving them another window it's just delaying the inevitable and possibly landing us with a bunch of players no better than what we have already. Surely the owners can see this isn't working? Or maybe they don't actually care.

RE: This is why they have to go - Lawrence - 12-04-2022

(11-04-2022, 05:51 PM)Hammie Wrote:
(11-04-2022, 05:42 PM)Lawrence Wrote:

the highest budget since we were in the champ

But no way near the level  of current l1 spending.  And the championship was 10 years ago.

I'm no cowley fan but there can be few pompey managers that have started a season  in such a mess.

RE: This is why they have to go - Hammie - 12-04-2022

Whitts did!
I still regret that we could not give him a bit longer. And I don't think we could, but he did ok with a bunch of cast offs.

RE: This is why they have to go - kindofblue - 12-04-2022

(12-04-2022, 08:02 AM)Jizbag Wrote: Is there anyone on here who still supports them? I honestly think by giving them another window it's just delaying the inevitable and possibly landing us with a bunch of players no better than what we have already. Surely the owners can see this isn't working? Or maybe they don't actually care.

They won’t be going anywhere- the Eisners have made clear that they’re not sacking owners. The Cowleys probably will bring in a lot of dross but the spend obviously won’t be big given the model Pompey are working to so it won’t much matter. The business model is to improve infrastructure incrementally  and then maybe pitch for promotion a few years down the line. Probably makes sense economically but it lacks passion and flair. And it’s not really Pompey is it? - we like to flare up, crash and burn….