TrueBlueArmy Forums
Rotherham tomorrow - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Rotherham tomorrow (/showthread.php?tid=1735)

Rotherham tomorrow - Wightblue - 11-04-2022

Might be billed as The Hopeless v The Hapless !

Only one win between them in their last 5 games, lapses that may yet cost Rotherham dear and has won Pompey few plaudits.

Seemingly nailed on for The Autos a month ago, Rotherham risk being pipped by MK Dons and tomorrow will be one of their two games in hand over MKD, one they must view as a ‘Must win’ affair.

Despite both sides poor current form this may well provide an entertaining game, always provided that both sides go for it, Cowley and Pompey owe their fans a big, entertaining performance and Rotherham need to return to their free scoring ways rather than hoping to win a low scoring game if they are to take a step towards the autos.

Just the sort of scenario which might produce a really exciting game,  I would be even more encouraged if I thought the Pompey team would go out, ignore Cowley’s strictures and play the way they know they can play (and there are some decent players available for tomorrow evening).

I live in hope though I may die in despair, it was ever thus !

Once more unto the breach dear friends.

RE: Rotherham tomorrow - Hammie - 11-04-2022

Have to say I thought MK looked a decent team when they played us, probably the model we need to be trying to follow players wise. Certainly more about them when we had them under pressure wheras we just collapsed once they scored.

RE: Rotherham tomorrow - Tomsk - 11-04-2022

The Hopeless v The Hapless...???

Portsmouth W6 D4 L2
Rotherham W6 D3 L3

Of the last 12

RE: Rotherham tomorrow - Wightblue - 11-04-2022

Tomsk

8/3 Crewe 1 Pompey 3
12/3 Ipswich 0 Pompey 0
15/3 Plymouth 1 Pompey 0
19/3 Pompey 0 Wycombe 0
5/4. Bolton 1 Pompey 1
9/4  Cheltenham 1 Pompey 0

P6 W1 D3 L2         Points 6 from 18

26/2. Plymouth 0 Rotherham 1
1/3.  Shrewsbury 0 Rotherham 0
5 3.  Rotherham 0 MKD 1
12/3.  Wycombe 0 Rotherham 0
19/3.  Rotherham 0 Shrews 3
9/4      Rotherham 0 Charlton 1

P6 W1 D2 L3      Points 5 from 18

Clearly your view of what is hopeless/ hapless is so very different to mine

“What the f*ck was that about”, I rather think that a goodly number of the 1,425 Pompey fans who travelled to Cheltenham may well agree with my summation. But, as ever on this Board, your opinion is as good as mine.

RE: Rotherham tomorrow - TBP - 11-04-2022

(11-04-2022, 04:37 PM)Wightblue Wrote: Might be billed as The Hopeless v The Hapless !

Only one win between them in their last 5 games, lapses that may yet cost Rotherham dear and has won Pompey few plaudits.

Seemingly nailed on for The Autos a month ago, Rotherham risk being pipped by MK Dons and tomorrow will be one of their two games in hand over MKD, one they must view as a ‘Must win’ affair.

Despite both sides poor current form this may well provide an entertaining game, always provided that both sides go for it, Cowley and Pompey owe their fans a big, entertaining performance and Rotherham need to return to their free scoring ways rather than hoping to win a low scoring game if they are to take a step towards the autos.

Just the sort of scenario which might produce a really exciting game,  I would be even more encouraged if I thought the Pompey team would go out, ignore Cowley’s strictures and play the way they know they can play (and there are some decent players available for tomorrow evening).

I live in hope though I may die in despair, it was ever thus !

Once more unto the breach dear friends.

I suspect that tomorrow's game will kick-start Rotherham's final promotion run in.

RE: Rotherham tomorrow - Tomsk - 11-04-2022

(11-04-2022, 06:39 PM)Wightblue Wrote: Tomsk

8/3 Crewe 1 Pompey 3
12/3 Ipswich 0 Pompey 0
15/3 Plymouth 1 Pompey 0
19/3 Pompey 0 Wycombe 0
5/4. Bolton 1 Pompey 1
9/4  Cheltenham 1 Pompey 0

P6 W1 D3 L2         Points 6 from 18

26/2. Plymouth 0 Rotherham 1
1/3.  Shrewsbury 0 Rotherham 0
5 3.  Rotherham 0 MKD 1
12/3.  Wycombe 0 Rotherham 0
19/3.  Rotherham 0 Shrews 3
9/4      Rotherham 0 Charlton 1

P6 W1 D2 L3      Points 5 from 18

Clearly your view of what is hopeless/ hapless is so very different to mine

“What the f*ck was that about”, I rather think that a goodly number of the 1,425 Pompey fans who travelled to Cheltenham may well agree with my summation. But, as ever on this Board, your opinion is as good as mine.

Previous six....

Portsmouth P6 W5 D1 L0
Rotherham  P6 W5 D1 L0

Is that hopeless, hapless or shall we just call it a lucky run(?)

RE: Rotherham tomorrow - Hammie - 11-04-2022

even if we go barmy and beat them by 6, it will not excuse such weak performances as we have seen regularly this season, In fact for me it would make it worse.

RE: Rotherham tomorrow - DeepBlue - 12-04-2022

It'll be interesting to see the players' reaction to Saturday and the aftermath of that game. 

We tend to play better against better teams and it could be a good Tuesday night game which we might even win (like a Sunderland or an Oxford) if the players are behind the management.  Or they could fold like the Ipswich game if they are not. 

This game could tell us a lot about the Cowley's future.

RE: Rotherham tomorrow - Wightblue - 12-04-2022

Tomsk
This is what not-hopeless and not-hapless looks like:

12/3 MKD 1 Wigan 1
15/3 Crewe 0 Wigan 3
19/3 Wigan 4 Morecambe 1
2/4 Wigan 1 Bolton 1
5/4 Wigan 3 Accrington 0
9/4 Lincoln 0 Wigan 3

P 6 W4 D 2 L 0.     Points 14 from 18

8/3 MKD 3 Cheltenham 1
12/3 MKD 1 Wigan 1
19/3 Cambridge 0 MKD 1
2/4 MKD 2 Shrews 0
5/4 MKD 2 Crewe 1
16/4 Wimbledon 1 MKD 1

P6 W 4 D2 L 0.  Points 14 from 18

Just to remind you, in the same period as above (ie the last 6 games) Pompey collected 6 points from 18, hopeless in my book but seemingly not in yours.

RE: Rotherham tomorrow - DeepBlue - 12-04-2022

(12-04-2022, 12:28 PM)Wightblue Wrote: Tomsk
This is what not-hopeless and not-hapless looks like:

12/3 MKD 1 Wigan 1
15/3 Crewe 0 Wigan 3
19/3 Wigan 4 Morecambe 1
2/4 Wigan 1 Bolton 1
5/4 Wigan 3 Accrington 0
9/4 Lincoln 0 Wigan 3

P 6 W4 D 2 L 0.     Points 14 from 18

8/3 MKD 3 Cheltenham 1
12/3 MKD 1 Wigan 1
19/3 Cambridge 0 MKD 1
2/4 MKD 2 Shrews 0
5/4 MKD 2 Crewe 1
16/4 Wimbledon 1 MKD 1

P6 W 4 D2 L 0.  Points 14 from 18

Just to remind you, in the same period as above (ie the last 6 games) Pompey collected 6 points from 18, hopeless in my book but seemingly not in yours.

Any reason why your 6 game pattern is any more a true indicator than Tomsk's 12 games.  No, of course not. Had Pompey won 6 games ago you would have just picked the last 5, or if they had lost 7 games ago you would have picked 7. You would have picked whatever fitted your sole agenda, which is finding something to criticise the club for. 

Have you ever posted any positive about the club on here ?

RE: Rotherham tomorrow - Tomsk - 12-04-2022

Yes Wigan and MK Dons are clearly flying there can be no denying that.
My point is you don't seem willing to balance what was clearly an excellent run of 6 against a disappointing run of 6 (albeit a disappointing run where we played 5 of those away).
As Deep says it'll be interesting to see how we get on tonight, although I'm guessing that'll be no indicator for you because Rotherham are hopeless too all of a sudden.

RE: Rotherham tomorrow - Cunninglinguist - 12-04-2022

I’ll be happy to see a decent game between 2 sides really going for it.

And no bloody Walker! If ever there was a name more apt.

RE: Rotherham tomorrow - Pedalo_menders - 12-04-2022

You traditionally take the last 5 or 6 games when talking about a teams form. Extending that to 12 games is a bit odd in that context. It basically says both teams were in good form, now they're in bad form.

But Whighty was talking about the form leading up to tonight's game so it only makes sense to talk about current form. Why would you care about games played 6-8 weeks ago?

RE: Rotherham tomorrow - Isaac Hunt - 12-04-2022

(12-04-2022, 02:30 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: You traditionally take the last 5 or 6 games when talking about a teams form. Extending that to 12 games is a bit odd in that context. It basically says both teams were in good form, now they're in bad form.

But Wighty was talking about the form leading up to tonight's game so it only makes sense to talk about current form. Why would you care about games played 6-8 weeks ago?

Spot on Peds, recently we are hapless and hopeless

RE: Rotherham tomorrow - Tomsk - 12-04-2022

P1 W1 D0 L0

On a good run right now...

RE: Rotherham tomorrow - Hammie - 12-04-2022

bye bye wing backs and keep the same eleven, no changes for Friday thankyou.

RE: Rotherham tomorrow - Rocketman - 13-04-2022

(12-04-2022, 09:10 PM)Hammie Wrote: bye bye wing backs and keep the same eleven, no changes for Friday thankyou.

Can't unfortunately, we picked up 3 injuries last night (Jacobs, Thompson & Harness) and Cowley has already said all 3 unlikely to play on Friday.

RE: Rotherham tomorrow - ForeverPompey - 13-04-2022

He must be getting his excuses in early then as Harness clearly had cramp which wouldn’t keep him out on Friday. DC says a knee injury in which case I would question our physios who were performing cramp stretches on his leg which will not help a knee injury! Thompson hurt his hand so that wouldn’t stop him playing. Jacobs has his weekly ‘tight hamstring’ because he’s a sicknote. Probably preparing us for his next stupid team selection!!