TrueBlueArmy Forums
Bank Holiday games - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Bank Holiday games (/showthread.php?tid=1758)

Bank Holiday games - Hammie - 16-04-2022

Do we want them abolished?
Cowley seems to think they should be.
I would have thought for many ST holders, Bank holiday monday is easier than another Tuesday evening.

RE: Bank Holiday games - Northstander - 16-04-2022

I don't think we'd have heard a peep from him if the Rotherham game hadn't had to be moved from it's original date. Far more sensible to play Good Friday and Easter Monday. One example by playing on Sky today Wigan now go to Ipswich Tuesday and are down here a week on Tuesday

RE: Bank Holiday games - Pedalo_menders - 16-04-2022

He needs to focus on things inside his control. He's wasting a lot of energy on nonsense when there is a list as long as his arm of things he could do, to enjoy a more productive season.

Squinnying about fixture congestion is not going to get Pompey promoted.

RE: Bank Holiday games - Hammie - 16-04-2022

He seems to moan more that any other manager I recall at Pompey. Harry used to make comments about being down to the bare bones but usually just got on with it. Maybe because he had been a professional player. Reading his autobiography, he and the other West Ham players used to go for a kick about on Sunday, sneaking in to the Boleyn Ground if they could or literally jumpers for goalposts at the local rec. What a difference to today's players who would be far too tired to just play for fun. With the notable exception of the pony tailed one going along to help out with a local lads league club when a match was postponed!

RE: Bank Holiday games - Jizbag - 17-04-2022

Danny Cowley is a bit of a dick.

RE: Bank Holiday games - SouthseaBubble - 17-04-2022

(16-04-2022, 02:45 PM)Hammie Wrote: Do we want them abolished?
Cowley seems to think they should be.
I would have thought for many ST holders, Bank holiday monday is easier than another Tuesday evening.

Absolutely not, for my part.  As far as I recall, when I started watching Pompey, it was pretty usual to play 3 games in 4 days over Easter, and therefore games on successive days, often against the same team, I think. (That also happened at Christmas.)  It was either Friday, Saturday and Monday afternoon, or Saturday, Monday and Tuesday evening.  And that was in the days when in Div 2 we only played 42 league games rather than 46. Not sure how the poor dears would have coped with all that.

RE: Bank Holiday games - Pedalo_menders - 17-04-2022

If we were in the hunt, he would probably get some sympathy but because he's been a country mile away from being in the race, it seems ludicrous even bringing it up.

RE: Bank Holiday games - Pompeyg100 - 17-04-2022

(17-04-2022, 12:04 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: If we were in the hunt, he would probably get some sympathy but because he's been a country mile away from being in the race, it seems ludicrous even bringing it up.

Yep, it’s not we’ve added games this year, yes there’s been changes because of covid but there’s always rearranged fixtures be it cups or the weather.

RE: Bank Holiday games - Wightblue - 17-04-2022

Yes Easter was packed with games usually with a reverse fixture, often a make or break period especially if we were relegation threatened.

I remember a Ronnie Newman goal at a sun drenched Fratton Park on Easter Monday against Cardiff which went a long way to saving our 1st Division status after a decent result for us at Ninian Park.

Cowley is a numpty who is lucky to still have a job at Fratton Park ! Unless he can vastly improve Pompey he needn’t worry about Easter next year, he’ll be at home with his wife and kids taking time off from sending out his CV.