TrueBlueArmy Forums
Can't think of many players I'd like to keep - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Can't think of many players I'd like to keep (/showthread.php?tid=1794)

Can't think of many players I'd like to keep - BlueArmy - 30-04-2022

Firstly our fans were great today in voice and numbers. Wednesday had great numbers too.

But we were woeful again away from home. 

Yes we were playing a team who wanted it more and had something riding on it but first half especially our performance was embarrassing. No excuses. It was a woeful performance.

Second half was better but we just don't look a cohesive outfit away from home. Too many sloppy passes, indecision, not making the most of positive attacking situations. We constantly look vulnerable away from home in every match. We aren't clinical enough. Away from home we don't look like a team. Haven't all season really again.

The squad is an absolute mess.

The only players I'd like to keep are Carter, Hirst and Bazunu and they'll be off. 

Ultimately our failure again comes down to management and players that aren't good enough. I won't name players but most of the squad aren't good enough.

Unfortunately I think it will be more of the same next season. Except probably lower mid table. Not quite sure where this team goes from here.

RE: Can't think of many players I'd like to keep - Hammie - 30-04-2022

I imagine we all knew the limitations of our previous defensive midfield boss, but away from home he was I guess a crucial part of the team. The porosity of our midfield seems to have been a concern ever since we went bust actually.

RE: Can't think of many players I'd like to keep - BlueArmy - 30-04-2022

I agree. Since we went into admin we've generally missed a midfield maestro.

I can't see us going up next season.

It's going to take another 2 or 3 seasons to rebuild this squad. 

We've been saying that for Season after season too. We are nowhere near to going up.

I think we will play off contenders again next year. I'm really not sure that is something I look forward to given our record

RE: Can't think of many players I'd like to keep - brian bromley - 30-04-2022

Does anyone have a list or players who are 100% sure under contract for next season?

RE: Can't think of many players I'd like to keep - exgaffer - 30-04-2022

Really enjoyed the day out, brilliant day in Sheffield.

That said, there was only one team interested in winning the game and it wasn’t us.

We lost just about all the 50/50 challenges and there was no shape to our play.

I thought Harness was shocking today, he’s one player I won’t be sad to lose if someone comes in for him. Lightweight doesn’t even come close.

Carter was also very disappointing today.

I know there was nothing in it for us except pride but I expected more. The fans deserved more.

Great turn out of the faithful though, at least the fans can hold their heads up.

would playing a couple of youngsters really have taken much from our performance?

RE: Can't think of many players I'd like to keep - tl73 - 01-05-2022

(30-04-2022, 07:37 PM)brian bromley Wrote: Does anyone have a list or players who are 100% sure under contract for next season?

Pretty sure this is where the list stands right now, may be incorrect on 1 or 2 though.
Contracted Players; Alex Bass,
Clark Robertson, Connor Ogilvie, Denver Hume, Kieron Freeman, Ryan Tunnicliffe, Joe Morrell, Ronan Curtis, Harry Jewitt-White.
Out of Contract; Ollie Webber, Sean Raggett, Shaun Williams, Louis Thompson, Michael Jacobs, Marcus Harness, Paul Downing, Reeco Hackett (contract offered), Aiden O'Brien, Callum Johnson, Jayden Reid, Jay Mingi.
Returning Loan Players; Gavin Bazunu, Mahlon Romeo, George Hirst, Hayden Carter, Tyler Walker.

RE: Can't think of many players I'd like to keep - JIMBON - 01-05-2022

On the youth side Toby Steward and Dan Gifford have both been given contracts as well as Jewitt-White. I would also assume Liam Vincent signed for more than one year when he came fron Bromley.

RE: Can't think of many players I'd like to keep - tl73 - 01-05-2022

Good to see some youth getting contracts, hopefully a few turn into decent players. Seems they'll need a very big pre-season to earn their chance though.

RE: Can't think of many players I'd like to keep - brian bromley - 01-05-2022

Thanks ti73 makes cowleys "we are stronger now " comments sound rather hollow now.

Lets hope the key out of contract players have decent offers ready (I've heard different but won't repeat rumours) 

Wages and career progression would seem to rule out the returning loanees so cowley had better have a few aces up his sleeve in what will be another very competitive division.

RE: Can't think of many players I'd like to keep - Hammie - 01-05-2022

(01-05-2022, 08:09 AM)brian bromley Wrote: Thanks ti73 makes cowleys "we are stronger now " comments sound rather hollow now.

Lets hope the key out of contract players have decent offers ready (I've heard different but won't repeat rumours) 

Wages and career progression would seem to rule out the returning loanees so cowley had better have a few aces up his sleeve in what will be another very competitive division.

I would think if we keep the majority of those who need renewals or new contracts we will be strong enough for top 8 in most seasons. Then we need to add a couple of strikers assuming we lost Hirst. That is the hardest and most difficult position to fill as we all know too well.

RE: Can't think of many players I'd like to keep - firqdays - 01-05-2022

Priority keeps - Raggett, Thompson and Jacobs - in that order.

RE: Can't think of many players I'd like to keep - DeepBlue - 01-05-2022

Of the out of contract players I think Reid & Mingi have already been extended (certainly Reid), and they have hinted that Harness' option is being taken up (even if only to put his sale price up), and Thompson should be no problem. 
Jacobs & Raggett are the two hard ones important to get done (Raggett especially). 

If we get all of them and extend the loan of either Carter or Hirst (or both) it will have been a good window. 

There are some decent players to be picked up from the relegated teams (e.g Tucker & Guiness-Walker) so we need to get moving on signings like that quickly - which is one advantage of not being in the play-offs.

RE: Can't think of many players I'd like to keep - Hammie - 01-05-2022

As I read his comments, Cowley has already said that some will be moving on, hopefully the ones we want to move on will head off early.

RE: Can't think of many players I'd like to keep - bluetagagain - 02-05-2022

I’ll be happy to see Harness ( not consistent), Curtis ( lost his mojo for Pompey) and Jacobs ( sick note) go. Hopefully we’ll get a few shekels for them and rebuild with team players and not individuals.

RE: Can't think of many players I'd like to keep - Pedalo_menders - 02-05-2022

When does the window formally open?

RE: Can't think of many players I'd like to keep - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 02-05-2022

(02-05-2022, 06:45 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: I’ll be happy to see Harness ( not consistent), Curtis ( lost his mojo for Pompey) and Jacobs ( sick note) go. Hopefully we’ll get a few shekels for them and rebuild with team players and not individuals.
Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it. Then Cowley populates the first team with Walker standard replacements that need ‘time to gel’ and before you know it next season is worse than this season and everyone is p*ssed off

RE: Can't think of many players I'd like to keep - BlueArmy - 02-05-2022

I think we will be lower mid table next season.

I feel there will be some protests from the fans in the near future re the owners lack of spending on the team

There is no chance we will be challenging for promotion with the lack of investment investment the the team and with the Cowleys in charge.

RE: Can't think of many players I'd like to keep - bluetagagain - 02-05-2022

Play offs next season . You heard it here first :-)

RE: Can't think of many players I'd like to keep - stayinupforever - 02-05-2022

(02-05-2022, 09:37 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: When does the window formally open?
10th June until 1st September.Far too long in my view.

RE: Can't think of many players I'd like to keep - mikey393 - 02-05-2022

Let's sort out a budget & get in early this time!

RE: Can't think of many players I'd like to keep - Kingo - 02-05-2022

First time for everything