TrueBlueArmy Forums
Player Recruitment - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Player Recruitment (/showthread.php?tid=1800)

Pages: 1 2 3

Player Recruitment - mikey393 - 02-05-2022

Looks like it's Non-League according to Jordan Cross at the Snooze.

Hopefully, we can  pick up a Gem or two but again it shows that the lack of budget for next season rearing its ugly head already!

We need a decent backbone to the team with good cover in all positions.

RE: Player Recruitment - BlueArmy - 02-05-2022

Non league? Are they taking the mick?

They are taking the fans for mugs.

RE: Player Recruitment - blueinbrum3 - 02-05-2022

Doesn’t quite fit with him virtually telling the Board it needs to step up and support his efforts to bring Carter and Hirst back to FP next season if humanly possible. Good for him we don’t want yet another ‘new’ team for 22/23.

RE: Player Recruitment - Pompeyg100 - 02-05-2022

(02-05-2022, 01:15 PM)mikey393 Wrote: Looks like it's Non-League according to Jordan Cross at the Snooze.

Hopefully, we can  pick up a Gem or two but again it shows that the lack of budget for next season rearing its ugly head already!

We need a decent backbone to the team with good cover in all positions.

They clearly are not all going to be from non-league.

(02-05-2022, 02:23 PM)blueinbrum3 Wrote: Doesn’t quite fit with him virtually telling the Board it needs to step up and support his efforts to bring Carter and Hirst back to FP next season if humanly possible. Good for him we don’t want yet another ‘new’ team for 22/23.

It’s not humanly possible and if he didn’t want a new team he shouldn’t have got all the loans in. DC can’t say he didn’t expect this.

RE: Player Recruitment - Pedalo_menders - 02-05-2022

With no Marquis, Harrison or Downing to weigh us down we should expect our pick of players initially. The message was very clear about wages being tied up last year.

Well they're not this year so I expect to be signing better than non-league nippers FFS.

Everyone is very different but my patience is wafer thin at the moment. It's been 2 years of going backwards. Going backwards IN LEAGUE ONE!!! The pressure unfortunately is on for all at PFC.

RE: Player Recruitment - Smirnoffexpress - 02-05-2022

Not expecting our parsimonious owners to change old habits, Poundland Pompey!

RE: Player Recruitment - Rick Pumpkin - 02-05-2022

(02-05-2022, 03:45 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: With no Marquis, Harrison or Downing to weigh us down we should expect our pick of players initially. The message was very clear about wages being tied up last year.

Well they're not this year so I expect to be signing better than non-league nippers FFS.

Everyone is very different but my patience is wafer thin at the moment. It's been 2 years of going backwards. Going backwards IN LEAGUE ONE!!!  The pressure unfortunately is on for all at PFC.

Then there's Pompey's supposed not inconsiderable contribution to Walker's wages, Hirst was on a fair bit and you'd imagine at least one from Harness, Curtis and Jacobs will be off too.  That should give the management a healthy war chest for attracting the type of players they're going to need in order to be able to fight to be up there next season.

Cowley's voice has become white noise to me now.  He'll always find something to whine about; whether that's the playing budget, referees, fixture backlogs, no kids coming through or that in Pompey we don't eat too many jellied eels, it's just part of the Cowley package.  He was the same at Lincoln and Huddersfield but at least his brother has slunk into the background these days.

RE: Player Recruitment - Hammie - 02-05-2022

Cowley's voice has become white noise to me now. He'll always find something to whine about; whether that's the playing budget, referees, fixture backlogs, no kids coming through or that in Pompey we don't eat too many jellied eels, it's just part of the Cowley package.

I cannot remember a previous manger getting away with this level of moaning virtually every day, in the old days it would have been a fast route to a vote of confidence and the boot

RE: Player Recruitment - briefcase_wanchor - 02-05-2022

It was a fecking head smack moment, reading that. If this was a sure fire way to promotion all teams would be trying it. I can accept trying to pick up the odd Jamal Lowe, but broadcasting the fact we are shopping around at the lowest level of football is hardly going to attract any decent signings of established league players who may possess a bit of quality. Can't see Carter or Hirst wanting to return to a team of high flyers from Wealdstone.

Worst thing is, I'm not surprised that the Yank's ambition only extends that far.

(02-05-2022, 01:20 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: Non league? Are they taking the mick?

They are taking the fans for mugs.

All clubs scout non-league, I really don’t understand why you are getting your knickers in a twist over this. No where does it say we are only going to get players from non-league.

RE: Player Recruitment - Cowespompey - 02-05-2022

(02-05-2022, 08:16 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: It was a fecking head smack moment, reading that.  If this was a sure fire way to promotion all teams would be trying it.  I can accept trying to pick up the odd Jamal Lowe, but broadcasting the fact we are shopping around at the lowest level of football is hardly going to attract any decent signings of established league players who may possess a bit of quality.  Can't see Carter or Hirst wanting to return to a team of high flyers from Wealdstone. 

Worst thing is, I'm not surprised that the Yank's ambition only extends that far.

I like the idea of signing non league players , there’s loads of good players with a point to prove who are striving to get back into the football league

RE: Player Recruitment - PompeyDB - 02-05-2022

Who have we signed from non-league in the last few years? Apart from Lowe there was Ryan Bird, Nicke Kabamba, Ollie Hawkins, Ben Tollitt, Louis Dennis and Reeco Hackett. Some had promise but none came good for us. Hackett may yet. So for every Lowe there are half a dozen duds, so far

(02-05-2022, 08:47 PM)PompeyDB Wrote: Who have we signed from non-league in the last few years? Apart from Lowe there was Ryan Bird, Nicke Kabamba, Ollie Hawkins, Ben Tollitt, Louis Dennis and Reeco Hackett. Some had promise but none came good for us. Hackett may yet. So for every Lowe there are half a dozen duds, so far

That’s over a number of seasons and they aren’t brought in to be the spine of the team.

By your logic there is no point in having a youth set up as 90% don’t make it.

RE: Player Recruitment - Hammie - 02-05-2022

A lot of those now in non league have been youth eventually rejected by prem or champ clubs, got a kick up the backside and realised they have to work hard to make the grade. Probably more hardened than most loanees you can get in but needing some fitness work.
I like the idea of picking up U23 reject type players, its how most clubs on very small budgets manager to build a decent team above their level almost.

RE: Player Recruitment - mikey393 - 02-05-2022

Opened a Can of Worms here it seems. I think it means we are strapped for cash so will look at Non-league for a couple of bargains to supplement the team. It depends on how much they raise from sales & how much Hirst & Carter will cost assuming their clubs will agree to sell.

RE: Player Recruitment - DeepBlue - 02-05-2022

Not really sure why anyone should object to the idea of unearthing gems from the non league. It's not as if they have said that is all they are going to do FFS.

RE: Player Recruitment - exterminator - 03-05-2022

We've had ALL this kind of close season talk before from these lazy Snooze journalists for the last few seasons. They have a paper to sell and subscribers to their awful website to satisfy.

Unfortunately there are going to be " stories" every day about what DC/NC are doing, what players they are targetting, what the budget is etc etc.

It is a case of separating the "wheat from the chaff" and there is going to be plenty of chaff from those Snooze bozos.

RE: Player Recruitment - Tomsk - 03-05-2022

There's a lot of white noise on here

RE: Player Recruitment - ForeverPompey - 04-05-2022

No doubt Aiden O'Brien plus agent are trying to get negotiations moving but the Snooze story about him is the kind of thing that unsettles. He claims he wants to be here next season and clubs are negotiating with his agent... but no contact from Pompey yet. If we want him you would think this would be quite a straight forward one to get over the line.. or am i being naive and we can't afford his wages long-term?

RE: Player Recruitment - blueandwight - 04-05-2022

Last night the Cherries won promotion back to the top flight, the Scummers have held on for another year and the Seagulls have taken enormous strides that could see a top half finish...and what about us, arguably the biggest club on the south coast? 10th in League One. Pathetic!
I don't know about you but it sticks in my throat and I'm getting tired hearing all these pro-Eisner comments from idiots who don't know what they're talking about. They inherited the best team to come out of League Two for years and a fantastically loyal fan base that virtually filled the old ground to it's (floating) capacity every week. Since then they have run us down to a 'no hope league one outfit' with virtually no ambition, finally forced iton groud improvements in fear of having the overall capacity 10 or 12,000 and the associated loss of revenue.
As Jeff Stelling, a very highly respected football pundit said the other day after the last game of the season, this is a massive under acheivement for a club of this status...too right! A city and surrounding area of enormous cultural and historic importance in the history of country and known for the Royal Navy, HM Dockyard, the Victory and Portsmouth Football Club known throughout the land as Pompey...does anybody think that Eisners have any appreciation of that at all, not a chance!
The pro lobby promote various points in their defence. The Trust couldn't cope any longer, major work needed doing to the ground, the pandemic, the overriding objective to carry no debt and become sustainable, strict player budget control, crap management, under performing players etc. it goes on and on and on.
I don't profess to be an accountancy expert (like some people on these sites) but I do know that there are no columns on the balance sheet for empathy with the fans or genuine ambition in terms of success. They work on the theory that we're stupid enough to turn up to every game whatever happens. When Mark Catlin first said we (presumably Tornante) don't want promotion until the club is sustainable I could smell a rat; broadly interpreted it means finance it all yourself because we're only going to invest where we see a potential return. Five years, slipping away from what should be the primary objective increases incrementally each season. My view is that 90% of the fans don't think we'll promoted next season and an ever increasing majority never see us getting promoted as long as the Eisners are here. Let's hope that when the North and South Stand work is complete they'll sell up and go back l west coast rodeo and thejunior baseball league.
A risk? Of course it is but we're going nowhere as it stands in this moment in time.

RE: Player Recruitment - DeepBlue - 04-05-2022

(04-05-2022, 08:12 AM)ForeverPompey Wrote: No doubt Aiden O'Brien plus agent are trying to get negotiations moving but the Snooze story about him is the kind of thing that unsettles. He claims he wants to be here next season and clubs are negotiating with his agent... but no contact from Pompey yet. If we want him you would think this would be quite a straight forward one to get over the line.. or am i being naive and we can't afford his wages long-term?

Wages could well be the problem with O'Brien.   

We like him and he likes us but is he good enough to become our top earner (which he would be if Sunderland matched his championship wages at Millwall, though I've no idea if they did) ? 

Every time DC has spoken about him I got the impression he was not over-optimistic of securing his services, despite all the mutual admiration.

RE: Player Recruitment - Pompeyg100 - 04-05-2022

(04-05-2022, 09:00 AM)blueandwight Wrote: Last night the Cherries won promotion back to the top flight, the Scummers have held on for another year and the Seagulls have taken enormous strides that could see a top half finish...and what about us, arguably the biggest club on the south coast? 10th in League One. Pathetic!
I don't know about you but it sticks in my throat and I'm getting tired hearing all these pro-Eisner comments from idiots who don't know what they're talking about. They inherited the best team to come out of League Two for years and a fantastically loyal fan base that virtually filled the old ground to it's (floating) capacity every week. Since then they have run us down to a 'no hope league one outfit' with virtually no ambition, finally forced iton groud improvements in fear of having the overall capacity 10 or 12,000 and the associated loss of revenue.
As Jeff Stelling, a very highly respected football pundit said the other day after the last game of the season, this is a massive under acheivement for a club of this status...too right! A city and surrounding area of enormous cultural and historic importance in the history of country and known for the Royal Navy, HM Dockyard, the Victory and Portsmouth Football Club known throughout the land as Pompey...does anybody think that Eisners have any appreciation of that at all, not a chance!
The pro lobby promote various points in their defence. The Trust couldn't cope any longer, major work needed doing to the ground, the pandemic, the overriding objective to carry no debt and become sustainable, strict player budget control, crap management, under performing players etc. it goes on and on and on.
I don't profess to be an accountancy expert (like some people on these sites) but I do know that there are no columns on the balance sheet for empathy with the fans or genuine ambition in terms of success. They work on the theory that we're stupid enough to turn up to every game whatever happens. When Mark Catlin first said we (presumably Tornante) don't want promotion until the club is sustainable I could smell a rat; broadly interpreted it means finance it all yourself because we're only going to invest where we see a potential return. Five years, slipping away from what should be the primary objective increases incrementally each season. My view is that 90% of the fans don't think we'll promoted next season and an ever increasing majority never see us getting promoted as long as the Eisners are here. Let's hope that when the North and South Stand work is complete they'll sell up and go back l west coast rodeo and thejunior baseball league.
A risk? Of course it is but we're going nowhere as it stands in this moment in time.

Sorry I stopped reading very early as it was absolutely bullsh1t.

RE: Player Recruitment - Pedalo_menders - 04-05-2022

(04-05-2022, 09:21 AM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(04-05-2022, 08:12 AM)ForeverPompey Wrote: No doubt Aiden O'Brien plus agent are trying to get negotiations moving but the Snooze story about him is the kind of thing that unsettles. He claims he wants to be here next season and clubs are negotiating with his agent... but no contact from Pompey yet. If we want him you would think this would be quite a straight forward one to get over the line.. or am i being naive and we can't afford his wages long-term?

We like him and he likes us but is he good enough to become our top earner (which he would be if Sunderland matched his championship wages at Millwall, though I've no idea if they did) ? 

Every time DC has spoken about him I got the impression he was not over-optimistic of securing his services, despite all the mutual admiration.

Call me thick but don't you have to pick up the phone or send an email asking how much, before you can tell if there is a problem? Or do the Eisners intend to use some sort of telepathy or crystal ball that we fans with our tiny brains could not comprehend?

We have been told straight from the horses mouth that they want to do business as early as possible. They must be so sophisticated that they don't need to use traditional communication channels us luddites have to make do with.

RE: Player Recruitment - Pompeyg100 - 04-05-2022

(04-05-2022, 09:43 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote:
(04-05-2022, 09:21 AM)DeepBlue Wrote:

Call me thick but don't you have to pick up the phone or send an email asking how much, before you can tell if there is a problem? Or do the Eisners intend to use some sort of telepathy or crystal ball that we fans with our tiny brains could not comprehend?

We have been told straight from the horses mouth that they want to do business as early as possible. They must be so sophisticated that they don't need to use traditional communication channels us luddites have to make do with.

Has DC said he wants to keep him? The Eisners aren’t involved in contract negotiations.  This ‘story’ is based on 2 parties who are well known bullsh1ters, a football agent and the press so I’m not sure why it is suddenly gospel. Calm down ladies.