TrueBlueArmy Forums
Player Recruitment - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Player Recruitment (/showthread.php?tid=1800)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Player Recruitment - Rick Pumpkin - 04-05-2022

(04-05-2022, 09:43 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote:
(04-05-2022, 09:21 AM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(04-05-2022, 08:12 AM)ForeverPompey Wrote: No doubt Aiden O'Brien plus agent are trying to get negotiations moving but the Snooze story about him is the kind of thing that unsettles. He claims he wants to be here next season and clubs are negotiating with his agent... but no contact from Pompey yet. If we want him you would think this would be quite a straight forward one to get over the line.. or am i being naive and we can't afford his wages long-term?

Wages could well be the problem with O'Brien.   

We like him and he likes us but is he good enough to become our top earner (which he would be if Sunderland matched his championship wages at Millwall, though I've no idea if they did) ? 

Every time DC has spoken about him I got the impression he was not over-optimistic of securing his services, despite all the mutual admiration.

Call me thick but don't you have to pick up the phone or send an email asking how much, before you can tell if there is a problem? Or do the Eisners intend to use some sort of telepathy or crystal ball that we fans with our tiny brains could not comprehend?

We have been told straight from the horses mouth that they want to do business as early as possible. They must be so sophisticated that they don't need to use traditional communication channels us luddites have to make do with.

Every year Tornante has been in control the contract negotiations have been a disaster at best.  It doesn't take much of a search to find a list of players who wanted to stay and who apparently the club wanted to keep, but either talks never started or they were just badly managed and the player moved elsewhere.  Then there was the instance last year where one of the youngsters was told he'd be let go, then told he'd get a contract and, finally, was told sorry that was a mistake you can feck off now.  How is any of that in the least bit professional?

Also, there's the often rolled out 'we want to get business done early' in just about every window and then...tumbleweed.

This club always gets the squad it deserves.

RE: Player Recruitment - mikey393 - 04-05-2022

How quickly do we think the ground improvements can be finished?

They then need to concentrate on the team & be competitive for next season.

We really need to get the academy up to a higher grade & introduce an U/23 team.

Just saw that MK Dons I think have a youngster who 2 Premier League teams are willing to pay £1M for. we should be aiming to grow some of our own. This will help to cut out expensive loans.

RE: Player Recruitment - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 04-05-2022

(02-05-2022, 08:47 PM)PompeyDB Wrote: Who have we signed from non-league in the last few years? Apart from Lowe there was Ryan Bird, Nicke Kabamba, Ollie Hawkins, Ben Tollitt, Louis Dennis and Reeco Hackett. Some had promise but none came good for us. Hackett may yet. So for every Lowe there are half a dozen duds, so far

I thought we signed Reeco-Hackett from Charlon

RE: Player Recruitment - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 04-05-2022

(04-05-2022, 01:29 PM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote:
(02-05-2022, 08:47 PM)PompeyDB Wrote: Who have we signed from non-league in the last few years? Apart from Lowe there was Ryan Bird, Nicke Kabamba, Ollie Hawkins, Ben Tollitt, Louis Dennis and Reeco Hackett. Some had promise but none came good for us. Hackett may yet. So for every Lowe there are half a dozen duds, so far

I thought we signed Reeco-Hackett from Charlon

Well after a quick search he used to play for Charlton but we signed him from Bromley, the same team we signed Louis Dennis from

RE: Player Recruitment - ForeverPompey - 04-05-2022

On the matter of getting business done early I think that was the same message in January but we were left scrabbling around on the last day so I don't expect anything major to happen before August 31st!!

RE: Player Recruitment - Pompeyg100 - 04-05-2022

(04-05-2022, 01:36 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: On the matter of getting business done early I think that was the same message in January but we were left scrabbling around on the last day so I don't expect anything major to happen before August 31st!!

We could get it all done early and then someone becomes available unexpectedly but the budgets gone, it’s a fine line and no one on this board know what the club are doing in this regard anyway!

RE: Player Recruitment - DeepBlue - 04-05-2022

Pompeyg,

Yes, DC has said he would like to keep him., e.g.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/portsmouth-boss-danny-cowley-makes-ex-sunderland-and-millwall-striker-aiden-obrien-contract-admission-3645807

and no, of course the Eisners don't get involved in day to day matters like contracts.  That is down to Cullen and Brown. 

This story will have no doubt originated from O'Brien's agent trying to up the price and speed things along by claiming others are interested. It's only 4 days since the last game ... seems a bit early to start panicking about any lack of action on the contracts front.

RE: Player Recruitment - Hammie - 04-05-2022

Until the likes of us and Sunderland stopping going on about how big we are and start looking closely at how clubs like Brighton and Bournemouth climbed back from the bottom of the heap we will stay right where we are.
Brentford? Accrington? Wolves?
Some spent big, some built from a sound base..

RE: Player Recruitment - Pompeyg100 - 04-05-2022

(04-05-2022, 02:57 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: Pompeyg,

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/portsmouth-boss-danny-cowley-makes-ex-sunderland-and-millwall-striker-aiden-obrien-contract-admission-3645807

and no, of course the Eisners don't get involved in day to day matters like contracts.  That is down to Cullen and Brown. 

This story will have no doubt originated from O'Brien's agent trying to up the price and speed things along by claiming others are interested. It's only 4 days since the last game ... seems a bit early to start panicking about any lack of action on the contracts front.

Thanks I hadn’t seen that and agreed absolutely no need to panic.

RE: Player Recruitment - Pedalo_menders - 04-05-2022

(04-05-2022, 03:52 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

Yes, thts the spirit. Let's all put our feet up. It's not like there are 12 players to recruit or anything. The best free agents are all available whenever PFC decides it's time to pick up the phone. 

4 days of picking your arse is definitely the best strategy to put together a promotion squad. A strategy that no other club in the world follows but don't worry, everything will be fine.

RE: Player Recruitment - Hammie - 04-05-2022

(04-05-2022, 09:12 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote:

Yes, thts the spirit. Let's all put our feet up. It's not like there are 12 players to recruit or anything. The best free agents are all available whenever PFC decides it's time to pick up the phone. 

4 days of picking your arse is definitely the best strategy to put together a promotion squad. A strategy that no other club in the world follows but don't worry, everything will be fine.
unless they are working away but one agent is touting his player to get more of a pay off for himself.

RE: Player Recruitment - Pedalo_menders - 04-05-2022

I don't associate making contact with paying more money. Thats not how it works. If you get quoted a silly number, then you can play the waiting game.

Either Cowley doesn't want him or Pompey are incompetent. Wonder which one it is?

RE: Player Recruitment - Pompeyg100 - 05-05-2022

(04-05-2022, 09:12 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote:

How on earth do you know what the club are doing? Calm down dear ffs!

RE: Player Recruitment - firqdays - 05-05-2022

This is what we do in close season .......

RE: Player Recruitment - Tomsk - 05-05-2022

(05-05-2022, 08:18 AM)firqdays Wrote: This is what we do in close season .......

What... whine, bitch and shit ourselves? No we do that all season too  Smile

RE: Player Recruitment - The Realist - 05-05-2022

Reminds me of last year.

Panic and demands from the arm chair experts to sign Gassan Ahadme after a couple of goals against second class opposition - turned out well?

RE: Player Recruitment - firqdays - 05-05-2022

All the ( lesser) qualified football managers come to the fore in close season Real - ( not Madrid).

RE: Player Recruitment - Hammie - 12-05-2022

Harness signed up. Trying to keep the team together that finished the season does not seem the worst idea in the world.
Which presumably means we've already released as many as we can who were out on loan or not playing.
Seems a reasonable step, not much more we can do til the window opens, but nice to see us nailing down those we want.

RE: Player Recruitment - DeepBlue - 12-05-2022

(12-05-2022, 07:24 PM)Hammie Wrote: Harness signed up. Trying to keep the team together that finished the season does not seem the worst idea in the world.
Which presumably means we've already released as many as we can who were out on loan or not playing.
Seems a reasonable step, not much more we can do til the window opens, but nice to see us nailing down those we want.

Harness signing up is just a way of putting up his price. If someone pays what we want he will probably still go new contract or no new contract.

RE: Player Recruitment - Hammie - 12-05-2022

as long as we get the money to buy one or two quality replacements or he stays, either is good.

RE: Player Recruitment - firqdays - 13-05-2022

Exactly Hammie ... " we eat what we kill "

RE: Player Recruitment - mike hunt - 14-05-2022

I watched last night a team who were assembled with no fees paid Huddersfield & they aren't doing too bad. I know we all want to spend money on a player, but Huddersfield's approach and the Quality of player recruited shows that there are players available if you do your research, so note to whoever decides on player recruitment; might be worth asking Huddersfield on how to go about it instead of spending truck loads of money & panicking as we seem to do

RE: Player Recruitment - DeepBlue - 14-05-2022

(14-05-2022, 07:48 AM)mike hunt Wrote: I watched last night a team who were assembled with no fees paid Huddersfield & they aren't doing too bad. I know we all want to spend money on a player, but Huddersfield's approach and the Quality of player recruited shows that there are players available if you do your research, so note to whoever decides on player recruitment; might be worth asking Huddersfield on how to go about it instead of spending truck loads of money & panicking as we seem to do

I wonder how many of DC's signings are still at Huddersfield ?

RE: Player Recruitment - Pedalo_menders - 14-05-2022

(14-05-2022, 04:30 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(14-05-2022, 07:48 AM)mike hunt Wrote: I watched last night a team who were assembled with no fees paid Huddersfield & they aren't doing too bad. I know we all want to spend money on a player, but Huddersfield's approach and the Quality of player recruited shows that there are players available if you do your research, so note to whoever decides on player recruitment; might be worth asking Huddersfield on how to go about it instead of spending truck loads of money & panicking as we seem to do

I wonder how many of DC's signings are still at Huddersfield ?

"Spending truck loads of money"  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin very good Deep. We can't even retain players who are free. Not sure where you get that from lol

RE: Player Recruitment - DeepBlue - 14-05-2022

I didn't .

Try reading who says what.