TrueBlueArmy Forums
Today's local elections - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Politics and Brexit (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Today's local elections (/showthread.php?tid=1808)

Pages: 1 2

Today's local elections - Tufnell_Chimes - 05-05-2022

Vote for whoever you like, but keep some things in mind whilst you do so.

Yep, that really is a scoop of tinned tuna splat into a money bag.

Here's to a better world, soon.

RE: Today's local elections - exgaffer - 05-05-2022

(05-05-2022, 09:46 AM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: Vote for whoever you like, but keep some things in mind whilst you do so.

Yep, that really is a scoop of tinned tuna splat into a money bag.

Here's to a better world, soon.

A better world will not be achieved by voting Labour, that’s for damn sure.

How about these people spend more time feeding their own kids before they start tweeting about ‘unacceptable’ free meals. Or perhaps Marcus Rashford and the rest of his fabulously wealthy friends can dip into their own pockets instead of berating the rest of us.

If the offerings are not to a sufficient standard then the contracts should be offered to companies that will do a better job, it is that simple.

Oh and the ‘Independent’ is a click bait rag of the worst kind, no surprise then that you use it as one of your sources.

RE: Today's local elections - Tufnell_Chimes - 05-05-2022

Guff, I specifically didn't say who to vote for.

Boomers, huh. The guilded generation, had it better than any before them and certainly better than any after them, yet crow on about how everyone else has to pull 'emselves up and not to expect anything from the state. This country's not going to change much until this generation is in the ground.

RE: Today's local elections - scouse - 05-05-2022

I'm working on it, I'm doing my best! I might get my motorcycles back on the road, that should reduce my life expectancy a bit...

Ok, so I'm generalising....

RE: Today's local elections - Deebo - 05-05-2022

And I’ve stopped eating tofu and gone back to bacon.

RE: Today's local elections - Smirnoffexpress - 05-05-2022

Tuffers, such bitterness! My generation has certainly been blessed in many respects. Remember though, not all of that generation had it as cushy as you portray. Many working class communities saw their local communities decimated as their industries disappeared. The middle class baby boomers may well be in clover, many working class “boomers” are not sitting on index linked pensions in large houses that can be downsized to realease equity. 

Vote Pooja.

RE: Today's local elections - farq2 - 05-05-2022

(05-05-2022, 03:50 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: Tuffers, such bitterness! My generation has certainly been blessed in many respects. Remember though, not all of that generation had it as cushy as you portray. Many working class communities saw their local communities decimated as their industries disappeared. The middle class baby boomers may well be in clover, many working class “boomers” are not sitting on index linked pensions in large houses that can be downsized to realease equity. 

Vote Pooja.

the fires need sparking up Smile

(05-05-2022, 01:13 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: Guff, I specifically didn't say who to vote for.

Boomers, huh. The guilded generation, had it better than any before them and certainly better than any after them, yet crow on about how everyone else has to pull 'emselves up and not to expect anything from the state. This country's not going to change much until this generation is in the ground.

You didn’t have to Tufnell.

As for being ‘guilded’, it didn’t feel much like it growing up in the 50’s and 60’s I can tell you that.

You seem to have a totally wrong impression of what it was like back then. I guarantee that if you put some of today’s youth back then there, they would plead to be returned to the 21st century.

My earliest memories probably start around the early seventies - coal bunkers, no central heating - ice on the inside of bedroom windows, a big wash boiler in the kitchen permanently steaming (and those giant wooden tongs), jumble sale clothes and bikes cobbled together by found bits and bobs. But there was no need for foodbanks, no-one was refusing free vegetables because they couldn't afford to cook them and the elderly weren't spending all day riding the buses to stay warm.

RE: Today's local elections - Smirnoffexpress - 05-05-2022

Context and nuance missing in truckloads old boy. 

Ps. Firqdays. Big Grin The ovens are overdue a good firing up!

(05-05-2022, 05:55 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: My earliest memories probably start around the early seventies - coal bunkers, no central heating - ice on the inside of bedroom windows, a big wash boiler in the kitchen permanently steaming (and those giant wooden tongs), jumble sale clothes and bikes cobbled together by found bits and bobs. But there was no need for foodbanks, no-one was refusing free vegetables because they couldn't afford to cook them and the elderly weren't spending all day riding the buses to stay warm.

What, no outside bog or tin bath? You lucky bastard  Smile .

I had forgotten the wooden tongs though, and the smell of the boiler and the mangle.

Well in recent months I’ve used buses in the NE, the Midlands and the NW and they were not choc a block with old people riding them to keep warm.

As for food banks and the need for them, you and I would be at different ends of that argument.

As for the vegetables thing, that is the daftest point you’ve ever posted. Surely you are not gullible enough to believe that old bollox.

RE: Today's local elections - Oct_63 - 05-05-2022

For some reason I have Monty Pythons Yorkshire sketch flashing through my memory! I'm a boomer too. Very austere lifestyle.

(05-05-2022, 07:00 PM)Oct_63 Wrote: For some reason I have Monty Pythons Yorkshire sketch flashing through my memory! I'm  a boomer too. Very austere lifestyle.

Yes it was in my mind too Oct  Smile .

We were blessed with good music and comedy that is for sure.

RE: Today's local elections - Pompeyg100 - 05-05-2022

Why do people who can’t feed their kids always smoke? Not rollies either, £10 a packet fags.

I’d also love to know the % of people on benefits have sky tv.

RE: Today's local elections - scouse - 06-05-2022

And don't get me started on how many of them have the latest smart phones...

RE: Today's local elections - brian bromley - 06-05-2022

17% interest on mortgage repayments.

yep we had it easy compared to modern times...

RE: Today's local elections - Tufnell_Chimes - 06-05-2022

You missed the third part of the holy trinity: fags, Sky and flat-screen telly.

…and Guff, regarding not being able to heat vegetables: Richard Walker, CEO of Iceland
You’re as out of touch as George Eustice.

…and ‘Brian’ remind us if you will of just how long the interest rate stood at 17%….

RE: Today's local elections - Pompeyg100 - 06-05-2022

(06-05-2022, 07:42 AM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: You missed the third part of the holy trinity: fags, Sky and flat-screen telly.

…and Guff, regarding not being able to heat vegetables: Richard Walker, CEO of Iceland

…and ‘Brian’ remind us if you will of just how long the interest rate stood at 17%….

You’d struggle to have anything but a flat screen telly these days.

I know that, I'm just highlighting how out of touch your lazy stereotype is.

(06-05-2022, 08:52 AM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: I know that, I'm just highlighting how out of touch your lazy stereotype is.

Sure it is, I’ve plenty more if you’d like?

RE: Today's local elections - exgaffer - 06-05-2022

(06-05-2022, 07:42 AM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: You missed the third part of the holy trinity: fags, Sky and flat-screen telly.

What does the CEO of Iceland know about the subject ffs? He probably lives in the leafy suburbs and has somebody from Eastern Europe to cook his veg for him  Smile .

I refer you to the fags, booze, latest phones etc. etc.

It’s all about priorities isn’t it? If you put feeding yourself before smoking, scratch cards and booze then:

a) You wouldn’t need to use food banks.

b) You could afford to heat your root vegetables.

When I lived in Eastney, it was a common sight in the morning to see people in their pyjamas buying a small loaf, 40 fags, scratch cards and a bottle of booze (or variations on that shopping list). Later in the day they would probably have been off to the food bank.

If you give away free food people will come for it, obviously.

Food banks are supply and demand, people want free food so they can buy fags etc. people always coped without them and they would again.

Guff, these sort of rancid opinions are only held by people who don't want to be held responsible for the actions of their vote.

"it was a common sight" - how many then Guff? If it was as common as you say there must have been hundreds of them - the streets would be full of winceyette-clad alcoholics meandering between the Bottle and Basket and the bookies.

So two points, number one: it wasn't hundreds, it was probably just one or two; and point two: We don't know when you lived in Eastney. If it was before johnson was PM why is this even relevent, we're talking about food poverty in 2022.

...and just for your information, you can't just rock up to the foodbank and wheel away with a multi-pack of beans, you have to have been referred there.

RE: Today's local elections - Bluestow - 06-05-2022

(06-05-2022, 09:59 AM)exgaffer Wrote:

What does the CEO of Iceland know about the subject ffs? He probably lives in the leafy suburbs and has somebody from Eastern Europe to cook his veg for him  Smile .

I refer you to the fags, booze, latest phones etc. etc.

It’s all about priorities isn’t it? If you put feeding yourself before smoking, scratch cards and booze then:

a) You wouldn’t need to use food banks.

b) You could afford to heat your root vegetables.

When I lived in Eastney, it was a common sight in the morning to see people in their pyjamas buying a small loaf, 40 fags, scratch cards and a bottle of booze (or variations on that shopping list). Later in the day they would probably have been off to the food bank.

If you give away free food people will come for it, obviously.

Did you always blame the poor, Exgaffer? Or, is this something you picked up somewhere (remember to wash your hands).