TrueBlueArmy Forums
Who knew? - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Who knew? (/showthread.php?tid=1833)

Who knew? - BilltheCat - 11-05-2022

From the Grauniad:

"Both Arsenal and Portsmouth visited Brazil for a series of friendlies in 1951 and between them managed no more than a couple of victories in about 10 games.

As well as Fluminense, they faced Botafogo, Sao Paolo, Palmeiras and Vasco de Gama".

Anybody go?

RE: Who knew? - Pedalo_menders - 11-05-2022

Where did you read that? Would be interested to read more. I bet the lads were wilting in the heat! 

I saw fluminese play a few years back. It was exactly what you'd expect from a Brazilian game. So much flare and creativity and almost no defending. I think the game ended up about 5-3 or something. And about 50p for a can of Brahma. Absolutely nice.

RE: Who knew? - 2_Kuhl - 12-05-2022

(11-05-2022, 09:22 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: From the Grauniad:

"Both Arsenal and Portsmouth visited Brazil for a series of friendlies in 1951 and between them managed no more than a couple of victories in about 10 games.

As well as Fluminense, they faced Botafogo, Sao Paolo, Palmeiras and Vasco de Gama".

Anybody go?

I did hear, once, that during this time, Pompey played in the Maracana Stadium in front of 151,000 fans.

How true this is, I'm not sure.

Edit - Appears I'm not far off.

www.facebook.com/804632339549606/posts/in-the-summer-of-1951-pompey-travelled-to-brazil-where-they-played-6-games-drew-/2999711353375016/

RE: Who knew? - Pompey_in_Derby - 12-05-2022

We definitely played at the Maracana on that tour. One of Mike Neasom's Pompey books suggested the crowd was around 140,000. However, also read somewhere that the official gate was more like 45,000. No idea how the Brazilian clubs counted crowds in those days.

There are loads of examples in the EPL, especially midweek, where the reported 'official' attendance figure including absent season ticket holders can be 25k more than the number of people inside the ground. Some police forces release the actual numbers as they determine resource levels required for the game.

RE: Who knew? - BilltheCat - 12-05-2022

Just looked it up, P_i_D.

We played Fluminese in front of an estimated 200,000. Scoular was sent off and we lost 2-1.

After that we lost to America 3-2 and Santos 4-0, but drew with Sao Paolo and with Palmeiras.

("Pompey" by Neasom, Cooper and Robinson. P61)

RE: Who knew? - exgaffer - 12-05-2022

(12-05-2022, 10:39 AM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: We definitely played at the Maracana on that tour. One of Mike Neasom's Pompey books suggested the crowd was around 140,000. However, also read somewhere that the official gate was more like 45,000. No idea how the Brazilian clubs counted crowds in those days.

There are loads of examples in the EPL, especially midweek, where the reported 'official' attendance figure including absent season ticket holders can be 25k more than the number of people inside the ground. Some police forces release the actual numbers as they determine resource levels required for the game.

Well back in the old terrace days clubs would routinely declare an attendance lower than the actual number of cash paying patrons in order to avoid tax. There were eyebrows raised on many occasions at FP when the attendance was announced.

RE: Who knew? - Hermann's_no_hermit - 12-05-2022

(12-05-2022, 11:34 AM)exgaffer Wrote:
(12-05-2022, 10:39 AM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: We definitely played at the Maracana on that tour. One of Mike Neasom's Pompey books suggested the crowd was around 140,000. However, also read somewhere that the official gate was more like 45,000. No idea how the Brazilian clubs counted crowds in those days.

Well back in the old terrace days clubs would routinely declare an attendance lower than the actual number of cash paying patrons in order to avoid tax. There were eyebrows raised on many occasions at FP when the attendance was announced.
Very true Guffs, I remember that on many occasions

RE: Who knew? - Deebo - 12-05-2022

No idea how the Brazilian clubs counted crowds in those days

"Um... dois... três..."

RE: Who knew? - Hammie - 12-05-2022

its odd how the crowds now are routinely over reported as opposed to the widely accepted tax dodge with terraces.