TrueBlueArmy Forums
Thompson stays - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Thompson stays (/showthread.php?tid=1838)

Pages: 1 2

Thompson stays - DeepBlue - 13-05-2022

The club have taken up the option to extend Louis Thompson's contract. 

Great news.

RE: Thompson stays - BigSmokeBlue - 13-05-2022

Indeed excellent news and what with the club exercising extension to Harness’s contract, a very good day all in all.

Just need to wrap up deals for Raggers, Jacobs and O’Brien for those out of contract.

RE: Thompson stays - Pompeyg100 - 13-05-2022

Jacobs will be off, DC played him begrudgingly.

RE: Thompson stays - Hammie - 13-05-2022

he thinks there is better value to be found, or is seeing if Jacobs gets a deal elsewhere

two good signings though, with the window weeks off yet.

RE: Thompson stays - Cunninglinguist - 13-05-2022

(13-05-2022, 08:04 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: Jacobs will be off, DC played him begrudgingly.

That's not what Cowley has said. In fact, he has stated that he should have started him more.

All current players that are wanted for next season have been offered contracts.

Whether Jacobs is one of them, I don't know.

RE: Thompson stays - Pompeyg100 - 13-05-2022

According to the news he could be offered a pay as you play, which means DC doesn’t want him. Yes he said he should have started more and that it was his fault he didn’t. He didn’t want to play him.

RE: Thompson stays - Pedalo_menders - 13-05-2022

Jacobs will have a queue of clubs wanting to sign him. He's off.

RE: Thompson stays - bluetagagain - 13-05-2022

Reading between the lines it doesn't look like Jacobs has been offered a new contract so he'll be off on a free.I also think Raggett will go to a championship club.

the reports seem to suggest we will/have offered a pay as you play deal, he thinks he is fit enough to be offered a normal contract and he knows this is likely his last big pay day so will move for a signing on fee of nothing else.

RE: Thompson stays - Cunninglinguist - 14-05-2022

Not consistent enough for me anyway. Very talented on his day (a bit like Harness, without the pace).

Talking of Harness, he really needs to step up this season. Good squad player though.

RE: Thompson stays - DeepBlue - 14-05-2022

(14-05-2022, 05:16 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: Not consistent enough for me anyway. Very talented on his day (a bit like Harness, without the pace).

Talking of Harness, he really needs to step up this season. Good squad player though.

Can't see either Harness or Jacobs being here next season.  Harness will probably be sold to fund incoming transfers (if someone offers a decent fee for him) and Jacobs is obviously not happy with his  pay-as-you-play deal so will most likely go. He is one of the higher earners and I do not think we should risk a more permanent contract for him because he does not seem to be able to go more than half a dozen games without getting injured and you can't have a player vital to the teams creativity out injured so much. Better to sign a fitter player of similar quality if you can.

As with all players letting him go is not a problem if you replace him well.

RE: Thompson stays - Pompeyg100 - 14-05-2022

(14-05-2022, 09:31 AM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(14-05-2022, 05:16 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: Not consistent enough for me anyway. Very talented on his day (a bit like Harness, without the pace).

Can't see either Harness or Jacobs being here next season.  Harness will probably be sold to fund incoming transfers (if someone offers a decent fee for him) and Jacobs is obviously not happy with his  pay-as-you-play deal so will most likely go. He is one of the higher earners and I do not think we should risk a more permanent contract for him because he does not seem to be able to go more than half a dozen games without getting injured and you can't have a player vital to the teams creativity out injured so much. Better to sign a fitter player of similar quality if you can.

As with all players letting him go is not a problem if you replace him well.

Better the devil you know in my opinion, he’s a class act and changed our season. His injury record hasn’t been that bad this season and handled correctly it wouldn’t be an issue.  He’s been offered a contract so DC can say he’s been offered a contract but it’s a contract they know he wouldn’t accept so he leaves.

DC won't be the one dictating the nature of the contract offered, that'll be Cullen & Brown between them.  DC will just be saying he wants to keep him - the rest is out of his hands whether or not he agrees with the pay as you play deal idea.

Absolutely not Deep, DC will have a massive say, it depends how much he wants him and we know he never did.

(14-05-2022, 04:28 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: Absolutely not Deep, DC will have a massive say, it depends how much he wants him and we know he never did.

He has a say but not the final say.  Like with Whatmough last year he was desperate to keep him but the money men's decision held sway. 

And although it may be true he didn't fancy him before Xmas, it is a gross misrepresentation to say he has never wanted him because he has clearly wanted him in the last few months. Have you not heard a word of DC's fulsome praise of him since he got back in to the side ?

He didn’t want him. He said after Ipswich pulled out he would look after him.

If he wanted to keep Jack then he would have told the board and he would have had a decent contract offer. DC wants his own players.

Don’t believe anything anyone says in football, the vast majority of the time it’s not true and DC knows what to say. If DC wanted to keep Jacobs he would get a decent contract offer.

DC said you can look out the window or look in the mirror and he always looks in the mirror. He must have ref’s most of our games this season because he certainly wasn’t looking in the mirror after we lost a game.

He did tell the board he wanted Jack. They matched Wigan's wages offer but we're not prepared to go  for the 3 year length of contract.
That may or may not prove to be a prudent financial move, but it was not a good footballing one and it most certainly was not DC's preferred outcome.

If he wanted him he would have had him and they would have matched the contract.

RE: Thompson stays - Cunninglinguist - 14-05-2022

(14-05-2022, 09:21 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: If he wanted him he would have had him and they would have matched the contract.

It's all about opinions but I'm another who doesn't agree with you on this matter.

RE: Thompson stays - The Realist - 14-05-2022

Can't believe we are still banging on about Jack. We don't leak anymore goals without him and keep more clean sheets. The real loss in hard stats was Burgess but we did n't seem that bothered when he left.

RE: Thompson stays - firqdays - 15-05-2022

Just a thought - I recall - going back, that clubs Insured players and indeed received Insurance payments if contracted players careers were suddenly curtailed by career ending injury, eg ( Eddie Howe) ?

Does this still occur ?

And if so Deep ..... "They matched Wigan's wages offer but we're not prepared to go for the 3 year length of contract" ....
it would have provided some security about giving Jack the longer term he obviously desired.

RE: Thompson stays - mikey393 - 15-05-2022

Good Qu & I'm Not sure either but due to inflated player's valuations the insurance premiums may not be affordable .

On the Jacobs position - Pay - As - You - Play deal is an insult to our most creative player.

His recent fitness record has been pretty good as long as he's managed correctly.

D.C. needs to be firm with Cullen & say we need to keep him unless he already has someone younger & as good lined up.

Keeping Harness is also a positive move.

It looks as D.C. wants his squad not next season sorting out asap.

As a replacement for Hirst how about McKirdy from Swindon if they don't get promoted?

RE: Thompson stays - Pompeyg100 - 15-05-2022

(15-05-2022, 11:28 AM)mikey393 Wrote: Good Qu & I'm Not sure either but due to inflated player's valuations the insurance premiums may not be affordable .

On the Jacobs position - Pay - As - You - Play deal is an insult to our most creative player.

His recent fitness record has been pretty good as long as he's managed correctly.

D.C. needs to be firm with Cullen & say we need to keep him unless he already has someone younger & as good lined up.

Keeping Harness is also a positive move.

It looks as D.C. wants his squad not next season sorting out asap.

As a replacement for Hirst how about McKirdy from Swindon if they don't get promoted?
DC would have told them he’d keep him if it’s pay as play or he can go, he’s happy for him to leave.

The Harness extension is so he doesn’t leave on a free, he’ll be off too.

RE: Thompson stays - DeepBlue - 15-05-2022

(15-05-2022, 10:08 AM)firqdays Wrote: Just a thought - I recall - going back,  that clubs Insured players and indeed received Insurance payments if contracted players careers were suddenly curtailed by career ending injury, eg  ( Eddie Howe) ?

Does this still occur ?

And if so Deep ..... "They matched Wigan's wages offer but we're not prepared to go  for the 3 year length of contract" ....
it would have provided some security about giving Jack the longer term he obviously desired.

No doubt insurance is still available at a price, both for the players and the clubs.  But be serious, who would insure someone with an injury record like Jack ?  The premium would be as much as his wages.