TrueBlueArmy Forums
Jacobs & O'brien - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Jacobs & O'brien (/showthread.php?tid=1873)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Jacobs & O'brien - Pedalo_menders - 01-06-2022

Hearing rumours they have both turned down our offers.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - 2_Kuhl - 01-06-2022

(01-06-2022, 12:53 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Hearing rumours they have both turned down our offers.

Don't fear, we've signed Jay Mingi and Reeco! Big Grin

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - Pompeyg100 - 01-06-2022

Jacobs hasn’t had a future here since DC arrived.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - mikey393 - 01-06-2022

Do we know what the offers were? Rumour was Jacobs was on a Pay Per Game Deal so can understand him turning that down. O'Brien I'm guessing was on decent money with the Mackems & we can't match it.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - Hammie - 01-06-2022

who knows, they might get a better offer, they might be holding out for one here

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - exgaffer - 01-06-2022

(01-06-2022, 12:53 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Hearing rumours they have both turned down our offers.

You’re worse than the tabloids  Smile .

Jacobs was always going to leave, O’Brien’s agent is negotiating the best deal he can. There will be offers, counter offers etc. if he’s asking too much we’ll sign someone else. That’s the way it always was and always will be.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - Hammie - 01-06-2022

I was devastated when Walsh and Biley left
Not sure any player in the current squad would leave me feeling like that.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - exterminator - 01-06-2022

I wouldn't be surprised if both have a large portion of the "deals" being offered linked to appearances.

As both are in the latter stages of their careers, and quite probably more injury prone they don't appreciate not being top earners unless they actually have to play matches on a regular basis.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - Pedalo_menders - 01-06-2022

It's rather concerning though when we will have to rely on Curtis, Harness & Reeco to provide the attacking creativity to unlock defences.

(01-06-2022, 08:59 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: It's rather concerning though when we will have to rely on Curtis, Harness & Reeco to provide the attacking creativity to unlock defences.

The transfer window hasn’t even opened yet! The transfer window allows us to sign other players so that we won’t just have those to rely on those currently at the club.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - Pedalo_menders - 01-06-2022

Yes good point G100. But is it not concerning that with a gigantic rebuild already required, we are not retaining our most creative player? The first half of the season was not pretty.

(01-06-2022, 09:49 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Yes good point G100. But is it not concerning that with a gigantic rebuild already required, we are not retaining our most creative player? The first half of the season was not pretty.

As I posted above, his days were numbered the day DC was appointed. Unfortunately we are stuck with DC so Jacobs will leave and I know who I would prefer to stay. Creativity isn’t on DC’s list of requirements.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - Cunninglinguist - 02-06-2022

Once we got past his little purple patch, Jacobs proved to be very ordinary towards the last few games. He got subbed more than once and rightly so.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - Hammie - 02-06-2022

"A massive rebuild required" ?
Not based on our post January form which was as good as any pretty much.
NC is trying to keep most of that squad and add a few good signings.

As regards their offers being rejected. I grew up hearing Alan Knight reject his offer just about every summer!

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - DeepBlue - 02-06-2022

There's a danger that Jacobs is being built up into something that he isn't by those desperate to find something to criticise DC with.  Cowley has admitted he should have played him more in the first half of the season but that does not mean Jacobs is the solution to all our problems. 

As Cunning pointed out he was not great in the last few games, and certainly wasn't in the few opportunities he got in the first half of the season, so although he showed he can be brilliant in 8 or 9 games last season you have to ask do you build a team's creative tactics around a player that is not consistent either in performance or availablility ?  

I'd love Jacobs to stay, but as a luxury extra rather than lynchpin, and sign someone else to provide a more consistent creative streak. But in the circumstances that would have to be on a pay as you play deal for the club's good, because if you make him the highest paid player and he misses half the season that could cost you any chance of promotion. 

Interesting also that the only reported interest in him has come from the likes of Northampton or Mansfield, I'm sure he could do better than that.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - Pompeyg100 - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 09:07 AM)Hammie Wrote: "A massive rebuild required" ?
Not based on our post January form which was as good as any pretty much.
NC is trying to keep most of that squad and add a few good signings.

As regards their offers being rejected. I grew up hearing Alan Knight reject his offer just about every summer!

The players from January aren’t at the club!!

(02-06-2022, 09:22 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: There's a danger that Jacobs is being built up into something that he isn't by those desperate to find something to criticise DC with.  Cowley has admitted he should have played him more in the first half of the season but that does not mean Jacobs is the solution to all our problems. 

As Cunning pointed out he was not great in the last few games, and certainly wasn't in the few opportunities he got in the first half of the season, so although he showed he can be brilliant in 8 or 9 games last season you have to ask do you build a team's creative tactics around a player that is not consistent either in performance or availablility ?  

I'd love Jacobs to stay, but as a luxury extra rather than lynchpin, and sign someone else to provide a more consistent creative streak. But in the circumstances that would have to be on a pay as you play deal for the club's good, because if you make him the highest paid player and he misses half the season that could cost you any chance of promotion. 

Interesting also that the only reported interest in him has come from the likes of Northampton or Mansfield, I'm sure he could do better than that.
There’s a danger of him being built up into something he wasn’t by those desperate to defend DC even when he admitted himself he wrong. Jacobs being played changed our season and he is by far the most creative player we have. Judging him on the last few games is pretty desperate.

We are supposed to be building a squad.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - Deebo - 02-06-2022

If consistency is the yardstick then there’s quite a few candidates other than Jacobs for the “luxury extra” option in the squad.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - DeepBlue - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 11:25 AM)Deebo Wrote: If consistency is the yardstick then there’s quite a few candidates other than Jacobs for the “luxury extra” option in the squad.

Agreed.  That's why I would cash in on Harness if we get the chance. 

Relying on Harness & Jacobs seems a very risky strategy on last season's evidence.

We would have finished in the bottom half of the table if DC had continued his approach to Jacobs and not played him.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - Pedalo_menders - 02-06-2022

DC has gone on record as saying that he only wants to replace players if he can gain "significant improvement" from a replacement. I will hold him to that because imo Jacobs is one of our best players and is crucial to the team.

(02-06-2022, 12:48 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: DC has gone on record as saying that he only wants to replace players if he can gain "significant improvement" from a replacement. I will hold him to that because imo Jacobs is one of our best players and is crucial to the team.

Christ I agree with you for once.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - mikey393 - 02-06-2022

Good to have some agreement on the board! If Jacobs offer is based on appearances No wonder he turned it down as it's up to DC if he plays him & we know he's Not his favourite player. We do need to try to keep him as he's by far our most creative player & scores as well.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - Pedalo_menders - 02-06-2022

Quick, note the time and date; it'll probably never happen again! Lol

I also think appearance based contracts are non-starters because it basically says: if you get injured, we won't pay you. That means a player will have to play within themselves and will absolutely not go in for 50/50s or play on the edge.

What's the point of restricting a player like that. Pay the years contract or make a decision not to renew.

He was offered a contract they wanted him to decline so they DC can say he wanted him. Same happened with Jack. DC wants his own players.