TrueBlueArmy Forums
Jacobs & O'brien - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Jacobs & O'brien (/showthread.php?tid=1873)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - Cunninglinguist - 02-06-2022

Jacobs may not want to stay, regardless of the contract offered. He was quite happy to go to Ipswich last season.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - DeepBlue - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 03:27 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: He was offered a contract they wanted him to decline so they DC can say he wanted him. Same happened with Jack. DC wants his own players.

The theory that DC did not want Jack Whatmough could not have been further from the truth. 

My source for this Jack Whatmough himself, albeit second hand.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - Pompeyg100 - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 04:02 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 03:27 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: He was offered a contract they wanted him to decline so they DC can say he wanted him. Same happened with Jack. DC wants his own players.

The theory that DC did not want Jack Whatmough could not have been further from the truth. 

My source for this Jack Whatmough himself, albeit second hand.

Your Aunt saw him in Tesco? Your source isn’t Jack if it’s second hand.

(02-06-2022, 03:51 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: Jacobs may not want to stay, regardless of the contract offered. He was quite happy to go to Ipswich last season.

Because he wasn’t wanted at Pompey?

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - bluebollox - 02-06-2022

Pompeyg100, you're miles off. DeepBlue is right, out of all the out of contract players Jack W was the one they really wanted to keep. Ok you dont like The Cowleys but you're making things up to suit your agenda, which is kinda crap.

(02-06-2022, 04:13 PM)bluebollox Wrote: Pompeyg100, you're miles off. DeepBlue is right, out of all the out of contract players Jack W was the one they really wanted to keep. Ok you dont like The Cowleys but you're making things up to suit your agenda, which is kinda crap.

If they really wanted him they would have offered him a contract to reflect that.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - BilltheCat - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 09:07 AM)Hammie Wrote: I grew up hearing Alan Knight reject his offer just about every summer!

And putting in regular transfer requests.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - bluebollox - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 04:19 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 04:13 PM)bluebollox Wrote: Pompeyg100, you're miles off. DeepBlue is right, out of all the out of contract players Jack W was the one they really wanted to keep. Ok you dont like The Cowleys but you're making things up to suit your agenda, which is kinda crap.

If they really wanted him they would have offered him a contract to reflect that.

That wasn't down to them, they wanted him here.

But it's not the manager who offers the contracts is it.

(02-06-2022, 05:30 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:

If DC told the board that he REALLY wanted Jack to stay they would have come up with a contract reflecting that. The board weren’t convinced regarding Walkers wages but it was DC’s decision. DC would have discussed the players contracts when discussing the job.

Jack was offered a contract they knew he would refuse.

(02-06-2022, 06:19 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

If DC told the board that he REALLY wanted Jack to stay they would have come up with a contract reflecting that. The board weren’t convinced regarding Walkers wages but it was DC’s decision. DC would have discussed the players contracts when discussing the job.

He did, and they offered the best contract they were prepared to offer. DC was as unhappy at that as JW was. Although to be fair they matched Wigan's offer in all but guaranteed length of contract.

All you are doing is admitting your dislike of Cowley is based on something that was not his fault in the slightest, quite the opposite.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - Rick Pumpkin - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 06:47 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:

He did, and they offered the best contract they were prepared to offer. DC was as unhappy at that as JW was. Although to be fair they matched Wigan's offer in all but guaranteed length of contract.

All you are doing is admitting your dislike of Cowley is based on something that was not his fault in the slightest, quite the opposite.

Deep, I wouldn't bother feeding the troll.

So they didn’t match it then? I’m not buying it in the slightest and it’s nothing to do with my dislike of DC. If he insisted on keeping Jack, the board would have offered him a suitable contract to keep him. The squad would have been discussed at interview.

(02-06-2022, 08:11 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 04:19 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: If they really wanted him they would have offered him a contract to reflect that.

So they didn’t match it then? I’m not buying it in the slightest and it’s nothing to do with my dislike of DC. If he insisted on keeping Jack, the board would have offered him a suitable contract to keep him. The squad would have been discussed at interview.

All you are doing is confirming yet again that you are criticising DC for something not his fault. He did all he could to keep Jack but lost the argument.

In your opinion.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - Kingo - 02-06-2022

So who is it in the club then that thinks it's a good idea to let our best players leave for nothing?

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - Hammie - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 09:27 PM)Kingo Wrote: So who is it in the club then that thinks it's a good idea to let our best players leave for nothing?

the automatic payrise involved in any new contract makes it problematical for all clubs.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - Cunninglinguist - 03-06-2022

The club had had plenty of experience of how much value for money Jack was. No matter what the ability, if a player is constantly injured, he’s not worth top dollar and certainly not a lengthy contract. I don’t blame Jack for moving on, regardless of the support Pompey had given him through his unfortunate injury woes. It’s a short career and he needed to make the most of it, for his family.

Thankfully, we didn’t miss Jack because Ogilvie and the others stepped up to the mark.

Jacobs certainly isn’t indispensable. Brilliant in patches but very inconsistent. I’d like to see him kept as a squad player though.

Much as I’ve been disappointed with Curtis, this season, I still think he has, potentially, more to offer than Jacobs on that left hand side.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - Hammie - 03-06-2022

balanced comments, on here???
Cunning, you'll get yourself a ban!

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - BlueArmy - 03-06-2022

Unfortunately if we keep the same players like curtis, harness, raggett, we will be in for a top half finish again and no better.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - bluetagagain - 03-06-2022

I think DC really wanted Jack. The Cowleys aren’t responsible for contracts or wages, that’s Cullens department. DC just informs what players he’d like and who he wants to keep.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - Pompeyg100 - 03-06-2022

(03-06-2022, 09:09 AM)bluetagagain Wrote:

I think DC really wanted Jack. The Cowleys aren’t responsible for contracts or wages, that’s Cullens department. DC just informs what players he’d like and who he wants to keep.

Think I’ve answered this a few times.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - Peter_Mellor's_Got_No_Hair - 03-06-2022

There is a bit of both in this. Technically DC / Pompey may have wanted to keep Jack i.e. they offered him a contract, but the offer reflected how much they wanted him, and i reckon he was probably thought of as 3rd choice and back up to Raggett, and the incoming Robertson (who was announced on the 22.06.21, so no doubt negotiations had been going on for some time prior). 

Could they have offered more? Given, what we reportedly spent on Walkers wages, then i would say so. But i also understand the risk of injury to Jack at the time. I also remember comments made by the CEO regarding covid and generally lower wages, which i don't think turned out to be the case. Maybe they thought that they could rely on loyalty and being settled to get McGilvary, Naylor and Whatmough on the cheap.

We then got Ogilvie in August, who i think would have been seen as back up to the other two.

That's ok, its about opinions, and new managers do tend to want their own players. But of course they are judged on these decisions and the players they bring in.

I saw the Forrest centre half and captain interviewed after the play off final, and he spoke well and emotionally about how much it meant. I did think it was a real shame that we don't really have that fan / player connection.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - Cunninglinguist - 03-06-2022

(03-06-2022, 07:44 AM)Hammie Wrote: balanced comments, on here???
Cunning, you'll get yourself a ban!

I wish! Smile  I might get a life then.

RE: Jacobs & O'brien - Pompeyg100 - 03-06-2022

(03-06-2022, 10:13 AM)Peter_Mellor's_Got_No_Hair Wrote: There is a bit of both in this. Technically DC / Pompey may have wanted to keep Jack i.e. they offered him a contract, but the offer reflected how much they wanted him, and i reckon he was probably thought of as 3rd choice and back up to Raggett, and the incoming Robertson (who was announced on the 22.06.21, so no doubt negotiations had been going on for some time prior). 

Could they have offered more? Given, what we reportedly spent on Walkers wages, then i would say so. But i also understand the risk of injury to Jack at the time. I also remember comments made by the CEO regarding covid and generally lower wages, which i don't think turned out to be the case. Maybe they thought that they could rely on loyalty and being settled to get McGilvary, Naylor and Whatmough on the cheap.

We then got Ogilvie in August, who i think would have been seen as back up to the other two.

That's ok, its about opinions, and new managers do tend to want their own players. But of course they are judged on these decisions and the players they bring in.

I saw the Forrest centre half and captain interviewed after the play off final, and he spoke well and emotionally about how much it meant. I did think it was a real shame that we don't really have that fan / player connection.

Exactly.