TrueBlueArmy Forums
England or Pompey - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: England or Pompey (/showthread.php?tid=1878)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

England or Pompey - BlueArmy - 04-06-2022

For arguments sake, if you had to choose, are you more club or country?

When I was younger, it was Pompey definitely. I would have chosen Pompey to win a game even instead of England winning a trophy.

Nowadays, as I'm not that young anymore, I'm desperate to see England win something, even though we've come close recently.

If you offered me Pompey promotion to league one v england winning the world cup this year, I think I would choose England. Infact I know I would. I'd choose England winning the world cup even if you offered me back to back Pompey promotions to the premiership. We've been there and done that with the fa cup too.

England winning the world cup this year would be magnificent, a once in a lifetime experience. We have a great group of players, and have a great chance if Southgate can be a bit more braver in the big games. Hopefully he has learnt from his mistakes.

Pompey will always be a big love of mine and to many thousands, and a big part of our lives, but I don't think anything would surpass seeing your country winning a major trophy.

RE: England or Pompey - Hammie - 04-06-2022

As you say, we've seen pompey win most things.
I've never seen England win a thing
So this year England
Pompey can be a play off team this year
then do it properly like we usually do and win the league next time around! We like trophies (I suppose the play off tinpot cup will do)

RE: England or Pompey - slayer - 04-06-2022

England

RE: England or Pompey - Cleaver Greene - 04-06-2022

I am old enough to remember watching England win the World Cup. Since then I have been plagued with bitter disappointment.
Being a Pompey Fan, we have had that in spades just recently. Whenever England play I try not to get too excited I have done that in the past and it has ended in tears. If England win then great! I am all over that. Pompey the same. Love it when we win, I am the worst nightmare for a week if we lose.
Why Cant I just choose England and Pompey in equal amounts?

RE: England or Pompey - Smirnoffexpress - 04-06-2022

Pompey first everyday of the week.

RE: England or Pompey - 66zoolane - 04-06-2022

Pompey by a club or country mile

RE: England or Pompey - Pompeyg100 - 04-06-2022

England if it wasn’t this World Cup, no boozing in a sunny pub garden, won’t the the same this year.

RE: England or Pompey - Pedalo_menders - 04-06-2022

I'm PTID but my excitement ahead of games has been strangled. I have little to no hope for Pompey these days, which takes the whole fun out of it.

England by contrast have a fantastic manager and young, humble crop of players who are arguably overachieving. It's very exciting to see.

RE: England or Pompey - kindofblue - 04-06-2022

Can’t we have both…..?

RE: England or Pompey - The Realist - 04-06-2022

Pompey all day long - England won't win anything with Southgate in charge - Just not a winner.

RE: England or Pompey - exgaffer - 04-06-2022

Pompey first, England second.

Always has been, always will be.

RE: England or Pompey - essentialmix75 - 04-06-2022

Born and bred in this great city, 'PORTSMOUTH' first.

We are the island people.

RE: England or Pompey - BlueArmy - 04-06-2022

Some interesting answers, thanks.

I find it difficult to believe that some would get more joy from a pompey promotion than England winning the world cup, but fair enough. I respect everyone's views.

Hopefully England's performance today was a one off...

RE: England or Pompey - Tomsk - 04-06-2022

Both would be great in equal measure, but the emotional thing that comes with supporting Pompey just tips it for me

RE: England or Pompey - DeepBlue - 04-06-2022

Pompey every time for me. No contest, international football is boring 90% of the time. I'd always want England to win but feel no anguish when they lose.

RE: England or Pompey - bluetagagain - 04-06-2022

Pompey every time ,

RE: England or Pompey - Hammie - 05-06-2022

(04-06-2022, 07:24 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: Some interesting answers, thanks.

I find it difficult to believe that some would get more joy from a pompey promotion than England winning the world cup, but fair enough. I respect everyone's views.

The team that wins the thing usually starts slowly and improves, so we are preparing just right. 
Silly time for England to be playing and Hungary are a bit of a bogie team.

RE: England or Pompey - exgaffer - 05-06-2022

(05-06-2022, 07:50 AM)Hammie Wrote:
(04-06-2022, 07:24 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: Some interesting answers, thanks.

The team that wins the thing usually starts slowly and improves, so we are preparing just right. 
Silly time for England to be playing and Hungary are a bit of a bogie team.

I was a great England fan back in the days when the players seemed to give a fuck about the shirt (1966 and all that). The current crop seem like a bunch of overpaid prima donnas who regard playing for England as a chore. You get the impression that if it was to their advantage, and they had a great great granny of another nationality, they’d swap shirts in a heartbeat. A bit like Tuffers and co all rushing to get Irish passports.

Having said that, I would still have put a Pompey promotion over any England achievement, it’s in the blood.  Smile

RE: England or Pompey - Deebo - 05-06-2022

Casting my mind back to 66 if you’d asked this question I’m convinced it would have been overwhelmingly in favour of England. Remembering that amazing feeling after becoming champions of the world and everyone in the country shared in the glory it’s a shame that tribalism has fractured our country to such an extent that we’d rather have our own little party than everyone being able to join in. Still England for me.

I do agree about the comments about the current players though.

RE: England or Pompey - exgaffer - 05-06-2022

(05-06-2022, 09:46 AM)Deebo Wrote: Casting my mind back to 66 if you’d asked this question I’m convinced it would have been overwhelmingly in favour of England. Remembering that amazing feeling after becoming champions of the world and everyone in the country shared in the glory it’s a shame that tribalism has fractured our country to such an extent that we’d rather have our own little party than everyone being able to join in. Still England for me.

1966 was amazing no doubt about it Deebo, there was such a great atmosphere surrounding it all.

I only saw one game live, the 2-0 win against France (I think Roger Hunt got the goals) but I remember the excitement of being in a near 100,000 crowd for an England World Cup win as if it was yesterday.

You got the impression that all the players and country were 100% up for it.

Sadly you don’t get the same feeling now.

The Jubilee parties have rekindled some of that spirit though and I’ve dug out my old ‘British by birth, English by the grace of God’ t shirt for the occasion  Smile .

We can but hope for better things.

PUP

RE: England or Pompey - Tufnell_Chimes - 05-06-2022

“ A bit like Tuffers and co all rushing to get Irish passports.” I’m not eligible for an Irish passport Guff, That’s why I’m invested in outing racist dins. If you can’t move house you have to repair it.

England over Pompey. Down with parochialism.

RE: England or Pompey - DeepBlue - 05-06-2022

(05-06-2022, 09:46 AM)Deebo Wrote: Casting my mind back to 66 if you’d asked this question I’m convinced it would have been overwhelmingly in favour of England. Remembering that amazing feeling after becoming champions of the world and everyone in the country shared in the glory it’s a shame that tribalism has fractured our country to such an extent that we’d rather have our own little party than everyone being able to join in. Still England for me.

66 was great but any feeling of euphoria when we won the world cup was offset by a feeling of guilt because that ball never crossed the line, but in any case it did not come close to the feeling of euphoria when we won promotion to the prem in 2003, or won the FA Cup in 2008.

RE: England or Pompey - Smirnoffexpress - 05-06-2022

(05-06-2022, 10:11 AM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: “ A bit like Tuffers and co all rushing to get Irish passports.” I’m not eligible for an Irish passport Guff, That’s why I’m invested in outing racist dins. If you can’t move house you have to repair it.

England over Pompey. Down with parochialism.

And there was me thinking you’d never get all National on me, what with all your quips about “flag shaggers” Big Grin

RE: England or Pompey - Tufnell_Chimes - 05-06-2022

Patriotism over nationalism. Flags are weapons for the jingoistic.  Smile

RE: England or Pompey - ForeverPompey - 05-06-2022

England is the buzz for a month once every 4 years (2 if you include Euros) but Pompey is with me every day so I have always answered this question as Pompey above England but I wouldn’t mind just once seeing England win something...